starting character stats?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Alex Mars
Pledge

starting character stats?

Post by Alex Mars »

I'm playing the demo and was wondering if it was better to start with lots of skills with one point in them or a few skills with higher scores?
-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.
Doug Tenser
Apprentice

Post by Doug Tenser »

I think you are better off concentrating your skills a little rather than adding them to everything you will eventually use.

It costs 3 skill points for your first skill point at either start or level up so that's expensive. A trainer or book can train you and not cost you extra skill points.

At start up I'd pick the main skill area and add as many points to it as you can, then your second area and add as many as you can, and then be a little more judicious with third and fourth etc... So for a fighter you might end up with ...

Swords - 6 (First point is free)
Heavy Armour - 5
Shields - 2
Dodge - 2
Spot Hidden 1

But you can survive quite well with a more eclectic mix if you play your character well

:)
Noru
Apprentice

Post by Noru »

With my pure mage I started off with 6 Elemental, 5 meditation, and kept the rest of the skillpoints in reserve. Was a bit hard to start, but as a new skill costs 3 skill points, I rather learn them later, than spend the valuable points now. And as many skill has either teachers or books in game, the skills can be upped to lv 6 or 7 without using any skillpoints :)
leonhartt
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by leonhartt »

I spent all my skill points during my character creation. I think you need at least one point in cartography to know where you're going.
Noru
Apprentice

Post by Noru »

If you can (vaguely) remember the map at the start and the south of it (for the sextant quest), then it's easy to get the mapping skill to lv7 without spending points in it. (5 training for 1500 gold+2 from book) :) And lv7 is enough for the most detailed map, short of living things.
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Cartography skill (minor spoiler)

Post by GSV3MiaC »

I think you actually need Level10 for some of the items (switches, chests, doors) and maybe even more (15?). Past 15 it doesn't seem to make much difference. But yeah, Level7 you can see where you are going (and there is an amulet which will get you to Level9, when you are not wearing something battle related).