Book II Video Resolution

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Book II Video Resolution

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

So, right now the poll is favoring sticking with our current engine and enhancing it. If we bump up the resolution, what should it go to? 1024x768 is the obvious next step. Does everyone approve of this? If we go too much higher than that, we risk excluding users with lesser computers, but I think it should be group consensus as to what the next game will offer.

With this engine being 2D, we don't have the luxury of offering selectable resolutions like you would normally see with a 3D engine. Tiles don't scale well; when we try to scale everything, you quickly see gaps and seams between the tiles. We need to set a resolution now and stick to it through development.
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

I'm fine with that. Anything actually I was fine the old way fine as well.
Jaesun
Senior Steward

Post by Jaesun »

Yea, up to 1024x768 should be fine.
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

Thats OK for me.
"FUL IR"
joshuasmyth
Apprentice

Post by joshuasmyth »

I thought the game looked good at 800x600 but if you are going to be investing in bumping it up to 1024x768 I think that can only be a good thing.
www.tinyfrogsoftware.com/cavernsbeta/ <- Play a free browser based roguelike game :)
Grue
Steward

Post by Grue »

1024x768 is okay for me.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
RezoApio
Marshall

Post by RezoApio »

Yes that would be perfect.
Gardez suffisament d'humour pour ne pas perdre l'esprit au nom de la raison.
Ama la realidad que construyes y ni aun la muerte detendra tu paso.
nackidno
Initiate

Post by nackidno »

That's a nice choice. 1024x768 fits good.
PaSquall
Steward

Post by PaSquall »

1024/768 is the resolution I use (and that I'll still be using in the foreseable future), so OK for it.
dak
Marshall

Post by dak »

well, 1280 x 1024 would be OK too, after all, in book 1 you have the medium quailty options which just draws fewer tiles, you can do the same for people with low end computer to support 1024x768..... I think even like the geforce 2 supports 1280x1024 anyway??

Whichever you choose don't use it to draw more tiles per screen instead increase the details for each tile! I do not think each screen needs more tiles... in that case you can make it possible to scroll a little bit instead.

that's my 0.3 cents.
Vennor
Apprentice

Post by Vennor »

1024x768 is minimum.

1280x1024 would be great for most ~19" LCD users - for me (CRT user) it doesn't matter as long as my 8800gts will be up with it.
PhilosophiX
Marshall

Post by PhilosophiX »

Well just my thoughts, for what it's worth.

I think 1024x768 is a good choice.

1024x768 is about as high as my laptop goes... to be honest I'll have bought a new one by then, and no doubt I'll make sure it goes higher, just in case, but 1024x768 will no doubt include a lot of people who would otherwise be excluded. I can't even see the pixels at 1024x768, so one has to ask the question, what significant difference would a slightly higher resolution offer to the look that makes it worth excluding many potential players?

I think a lot of the people asking for higher res people are obviously on dektops with big screens, and then yes, more resolutions would make a difference, but they are selfishly ignoring the fact that laptops are now outselling desktops!

Obviously if it's a game like far cry you want to squeeze every last pixel out of it, but for god sake people this is Eschalon, Old School RPG brilliance, and it's about far more than how many pixels fit on the screen. At least it is in my humble opinion. Surely we want as many people as possible to be able to enjoy that Old School brilliance? Eh?
What is a man, If his chief good and market of his time Be but to sleep and feed? a beast, no more. Sure, he that made us with such large discourse, Looking before and after, gave us not that capability and god-like reason to fust in us unused.
leonhartt
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by leonhartt »

1024x768 is okay. (Request: It'll be even better if there's 16:10 wide screen support for laptop users, so that the whole screen can be filled up, or else there's be black bars at the side lol...)
gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

Why not: 800 x 600 / 1024 x 768 / 1280 x 1024?
We can choose the better res related to our pc.
furor vincit omnia
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

They would have to make graphics for each resolution then which would triple that workload. Most 2d games are always at one fixed resolution, heck starcraft is only 800x600 and I still play it.

As for the widescreen mode, same problem, they would have to make graphics at a widescreen resolution or stretch the graphics. I HATE things when they are not in their proper aspect ratio so black bars on the side are fine with me. But I do know a guy who has a 47" HDTV and watches analog cable, stretched on it............talk about eye burning.