Chance to hit?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Neilsouth
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Chance to hit?

Post by Neilsouth »

Which stat is best to bump up which helps in hitting enemies?... Sometimes ive had enemies where i haven't hit with atleast 5 swings of my sword and it gets annoying!

Ive played for about 10hrs total gametime now but i want to raise my tohit chance 8)
VPeric
Steward

Post by VPeric »

Every two points of your Swords skill will add +1 to your ToHit. Dexterity also helps with ToHit (and apparently Concentration does too, but Dex is probably a better investment). Other than that, you can also find some rings and/or amulets to help you.
Neilsouth
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Neilsouth »

Thankyou 8)
Josia
Senior Steward

Post by Josia »

Buffs from spells or potions can be good as well, such as Bless or Nimbleness.

One tactic that doesn't strictly increase your toHit but can level the playing field if you're up against tough baddies is to fight in the dark but with the benefit of Cat's Eyes / Predator Sight.
sapper_astro
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by sapper_astro »

Oh yes...Cats eye was a real life saver for me, especially during the first half of the game. Turn off torch, cast cats eye, manage to scrape through. Before I learned that little advantage by accident I was considering scrapping my character that seemed too weak. He managed to make it through the game though.
Garett
Initiate

Post by Garett »

I think that fighting in the dark is much too overpowered... see, I'm standing in a horde of Goblins of all kind, Tauraxs and so on, at night, having Cats Eye and Predator Sight, hitting each and everything without getting hit back ... once in a while, maybe one out of ten hits back if he survives the first attack...
And I have only like 10 in Hide In Shadows, 25 DEX ...

Maybe the AI should be tweaked to attack the last known position, the position where the attack came from... honestly, if you'd been attacked in the dark, would you just go on or wildly swing your sword in the direction of the attack?
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

Garrett, that is kinda the point. You are normally moving about, not sitting in the same place you attacked from. This is a turn by turn game, so it does not have the ability to show you moving all around to attack. In a room full of people in the dark they have more chance of hitting each other than the person who actually can see in the dark. So this is a good showing of what the real world would be like.
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
macmert
Apprentice

Post by macmert »

Can I ask something?? Is predator sight and cats eyes stackable?? Or cats eyes pretty much work like a torch???

So what exactly happens when I cast both of them on me???

I only use PS for enemies but no CS...
just
Apprentice

Post by just »

They can be cast together. You get the tohit from PS, and you see a bit of light around you from CE.
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Post by GSV3MiaC »

CE gives you a slightly better chance to hit, but only int he local 'lit up' area. PS words at any range (but only for monsters. It SHOULD BE only for WARM BLOODED monsters, but actually that is bugged). 8>.
macmert
Apprentice

Post by macmert »

Yea it should work on warm blooded monsters and it says on the description that you see monsters in infrared spectrum, but the monsters lit green :D like you see them in night vision I guess infrared should look red and reddish :D
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

If you want to raise your to hit, work on strength, dexterity and speed. Also look for a very nifty item called the Ring of the Assassin. The ring gives you +5 toHit and +2 damage. Bring up your alchemy skill and you can enhanced your weapon or amulets to increase your tohit. There are also two amulets that incease toHit. If you cannot bring up your alchemy, look for Brewmaster ring +3. You can wear one of each hand to get +6 in brew making.
History is written by the winners!
andymase
Pledge

Post by andymase »

realmzmaster wrote:If you want to raise your to hit, work on strength, dexterity and speed. Also look for a very nifty item called the Ring of the Assassin. The ring gives you +5 toHit and +2 damage. Bring up your alchemy skill and you can enhanced your weapon or amulets to increase your tohit. There are also two amulets that incease toHit. If you cannot bring up your alchemy, look for Brewmaster ring +3. You can wear one of each hand to get +6 in brew making.
Are you sure raising "speed" will raise chance to it? I'm not that sure about that. I think increasing speed will increase damage, not hit% (at least this is what the "speed" description says). I think just dexterity and concentration impact upon hitting chances.
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

You are right! Speed increases damage! :oops:
History is written by the winners!