Salty Sea Thugs hard (spoilers)

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Rumtruffle
Initiate

Salty Sea Thugs hard (spoilers)

Post by Rumtruffle »

so i got this quest to deliver some elixir to an old man in the salty sea area.

trouble is im getting absolutely hammered by thugs in the area. infact all the enemies in the area seem to be thugs, who follow you relentlessly once you are about a screen widths away.

im lvl2. 4 points in sword -long sword equipped.
3 points in heavy armour. 3 in shields, shield equipped. 2 in cartography - mini-map ftw. 2 in dodge.
(cant remember any others)

any tips? :? :(
Loriac
Senior Steward

Re: Salty Sea Thugs hard (spoilers)

Post by Loriac »

Rumtruffle wrote:so i got this quest to deliver some elixir to an old man in the salty sea area.

trouble is im getting absolutely hammered by thugs in the area. infact all the enemies in the area seem to be thugs, who follow you relentlessly once you are about a screen widths away.

3 points in heavy armour. 3 in shields, shield equipped. 2 in cartography - mini-map ftw. 2 in dodge.

Come back when you are ready for the area and able to take on the thugs?

Alternatively, exercise caution, make sure you only have one thug in view at a time, withdraw somewhere safe and go 1 on 1. Don't let them crowd you, and make sure you're fully healed between fights.

[edit] oh yes, the other thing is that to get to the old guy you don't need to go near where the thugs are in any case.
alpha
Steward

Post by alpha »

Saveload as needed.

Solves things.
Incinerator Fuel = Pure Ownage xD
Rumtruffle
Initiate

Post by Rumtruffle »

guess i wandered too far from the road i was on.

wow this game is surely hard having high lvl stuff so close to where you start from. if im stuck now it doesnt bode well for me later on. :/

ill venture onward though.

and thanks.
VPeric
Steward

Post by VPeric »

The North Parish area is somewhat easier (mostly Salamanders), so you could head over there to pick up some equipment and experience. Don't go too far north, though, or you'll encounter thugs again.
Sakar
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Sakar »

Buy a bow and arrows and "kite" them. You can also use some powder kegs to your advantage with a bow... hint hint... :wink:
Jaesun
Senior Steward

Post by Jaesun »

Go at night.
Drink a potion/spell of Cat's Eyes and Predator Sight.
Kill everything.
Collect loot.

:D
othreen
Initiate

Post by othreen »

i think this quest is at least for 5+ lvls... there is no need to complete it in the beginning. Come back when you'll be able to kill 2 or 3 thugs easily. imho.
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

I finished both those fights first off. I was a rogue and had elemental/div magic just enough to get cat's eye and preditor sight. Fought at Night and won. It is slow going but do-able. This is how I got my cartography skill. LOL
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
thomas
Initiate

Re: Salty Sea Thugs hard (spoilers)

Post by thomas »

Rumtruffle wrote:so i got this quest to deliver some elixir to an old man in the salty sea area.

Well, when I played book1, I didn't know you can cross black borders, so I totally missed this area and walked in opposite direction (how hard that was! I got ossum before border/blackwater cities!), so when I got there, salamanders were dying just by looking on me and thugs were no challenge for level12 wizzard :)