Wish List for Book II {Compiled}

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Deathtron5000
Pledge

Post by Deathtron5000 »

alpha wrote:There is some kind of protection agains save-loading at every chest, I am sure. Every time you get items that are worse and worse.

So have fun reloading lol :D
So far as I know there wasn't, and I don't see why there should need to be... If people want to use exploits, then let them. If they don't, well, then they won't. No sense wasting programming time on something like this.

I'd like to second the request for a run mode... Walking got tedious. Even if you could just fast forward a bit? That'd be nice. More quick travel locations would be handy too, but not a really big issue.

It would be nice to see more character models and portraits too.

On the subject of alchemy, it would be nice to see an expanded set of potions you could make, including ones you could discover. Alchemical ingredient drops from enemies would be pretty cool too. I like the 2 ingredient system, it makes it more likely for players to hit upon a useful combination. Or, some kind of system that gives hints as players try ingredients? But that's likely too complex.

More drops from combat would be nice too, because looting is fun. Some kind of fletching skill, or recoverable arrows would help as well, I found I really had trouble with both affording them and finding enough to buy early game.

The arcane character class also needs adjusting. Rather than only having higher level spells cause damage faster, have them cause it more efficicently. By this I mean that spells requiring more skill to learn/cast would cause more damage per point of mana spent, and be crank-uppable as normal. (I liked that power scaling system.) Alternately, when cast at higher power levels the spells would gain additional effects, (or a non-linear damage scale) again to reward characters with higher stats in that spell casting skill.

I played a fighter/diviner (paladin?) which worked really well. The haste spell is incredible.

Also, doesn't the term "divination" refer to prophecy and augury, as in predicting the future, rather than divine majjickq, which refers to magic from deities? Not sure if that was the term you wanted. You know, just to nitpick.
Zevan
Initiate

Re: Wish List for Book II {Compiled}

Post by Zevan »

double post.. crappy connection~ :D
Last edited by Zevan on December 11th, 2007, 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zevan
Initiate

Re: Wish List for Book II {Compiled}

Post by Zevan »

Iane wrote:
11]A hot key or button to auto equip/un-equip shield (to quickly allow you to use a torch).
I'd rather it automatically holster the shield on the characters back when u use the torch or switch to a bow or some other 2-handed weapon

also.. i would like to be able to see my alternate weapons when not using them..
Starkz
Initiate

Post by Starkz »

After playing for a few more solid nights, there are two more things I'd like to see in the nest iterartion.

Be able to make notes on the map. even if its just text, but I found places that I'd want to go back to later but then would forget where it was, or what I'd need to bring.

And lastly, would be great to see what items I have equiped when shopping. Its nice to be able to compare what you are using with what you'd like to buy. I have to keep checking out of the store to doule check the armour rating of an item, then go back in etc...
chamr
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by chamr »

Starkz wrote:And lastly, would be great to see what items I have equiped when shopping. Its nice to be able to compare what you are using with what you'd like to buy. I have to keep checking out of the store to doule check the armour rating of an item, then go back in etc...
This is already a feature. In the middle pane when you're in the shop-keeper interface is a button that says something like "Iventory Toggle". Click that and it brings up your equiped paper doll view.

But along these lines, the double hover text that shows the stats for the corresponding equipped item alongside the stats for the item in the shop would be super-cool.
Starkz
Initiate

Post by Starkz »

man, thats the second request I've asked for that has already been a part of the game. Feel kinda stupid.
Thanks for pointing it out though.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

One thing I liked from Spiderweb games is the ability to toggle between the game and another window outside the game using command-tab command or some other combination. This meant I could go into a word processor program and make notes about things to do or that I did for later.
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

Um alt tabworks now...I'm assuming you are talking about a mac version? The spiderweb games are made rimarily mac then to windows....I think its the opposite here, so probably not as experienced with mac software.
Siemova
Apprentice

Post by Siemova »

I know what you mean, Randomizer. The Eschalon application, particularly in windowed mode, doesn't seem to support standard functions like command-tab, close window, hide (if I remember correctly), minimize, and quit. I would really appreciate that last ability in particular, rather than having to go to the menu, select exit, and then select exit again. Perhaps Basilisk could implement these standard features in a patch soon?
"What you embrace is what you become."
Starkz
Initiate

Post by Starkz »

actually, just hitting the windows button when in full screen mode brings you back to the desktop. I've been doing this to make notes myself. But would much prefer an ingame option.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

I see if I start the game in windowed mode I can access other windows in exchange for a smaller screen. At least I don't have to quit when I want to do something else and wait through start up.

I would like to do more things from keyboard instead of menus. Quit and restore quicksave game have been mentioned.
Starkz
Initiate

Post by Starkz »

Hey Randomizer, you don't need to quit the game to get to the desktop in fullscreen mode. Just pause your game, hit the "windows" button on your keyboard 9usually bottom left between teh "Ctrl" and "Alt" buttons, and it will minimise the game and give you access to your desktop.

then, make your notes, or do whatever you want, then just click on the game in the taskbar to bring it up again.
Bartek
Initiate

Post by Bartek »

I would like the game to follow "true inventory principle", that is, if character is being attacked by a thug in leather armour armed with sword, this thug drops the sword and leather armour when killed, not only the bottle of whisky and mana potion :) Of course, it requires additional balancing, but could be done well even with party-based games (e.g. Darksun).

Eschalon I implements "true inventory principles" to monsters - lizards don't drop halberds and shields - that's good, but humanoid opponets should drop their equipment. On the other hand, killed monsters may leave related achemy componets like poison and so on.
KZK
Pledge

My desires.

Post by KZK »

My list.

I just want to start by saying that I love this game, and that anything possibly negative is presented in the hope of improvement rather than deconstructive or tasteless criticism.

I love the classic Isometric style; please don't change it. Eschalon: Book I reminds me so much of so many great RPGs that pioneered the genre.

I would prefer a higher resolution and compensation for diverse aspect ratios. I use 1680x1050(16:10 aspect ratio) 32-bit depth. Sure I can always set my video card to fixed aspect ratio, but i prefer my display's built in scaling because it provides betterr image quality. Right now, everyone looks like a hobbit because of the horizontal stretching

I would like to see more mini quests, side quests and more scripted events or cinematic-styled automated events.

Dialog almost reads as if it was a book, which is great. To be even better, I would recommend even more emotions and actions other than words in dialog. For example when talking to Lilith, I'm not sure the exact wording, but, she looked at the amulet and paused for a moment to see if it was okay that she was going to touch it. Simply adding that "she gazed at the amulet and paused for a moment, looking up at you with open eyes" (since it was stated as if she was waiting for your innaction before proceeding), would greatly enhance immersion. Another instance was later in the conversation with lilith, when she smiled after she heard about the notes from the mystery person. The character seemed to know something that i did not. All the text said was that she smiled. There are many kinds of smiles and I subconsciously drew a humorous smile in my mind. This can be avoided by specification. "She wore a satisfied grin", "a wry grin", "smiled deviously", or perhaps, "smiled seductively".
Some instances in the dialog seem to be at a "high school" or below reading level. I believe this is where games from Basilisk Games could really stand out. We have the opportunity to essentially pioneer a new subgenre and create a truely unique game style, otherwise it will be interpreted as just another isometric rpg clone ten years too late, dare I say it. The gameplay should be the main priority, but the story should be incontrovertibly either second or on par with the gameplay.

Immersion:
  • NPCs take damage from infamous thorny bush.
    NPC AI account for thorny bush and try to avoid it if possible.
    NPC Group/Pack AI. In example, wolves would warn eachother and attack as a pack. Bandits alert eachother that somone is there unless he is killed in one turn silently and is unable to alert his party.
    Ability to rest in beds that are not owned.
    Ability to camp indoors if the door is shut and the house is not owned.
    BorderTown has no inn. You should be able to set up a camp in the town since other people have tents and live there.
    Certain locations should not have a chance of being awakend by monsters when resting (ie Bordertown).
Alas, I conclude that I still love the game and will probably buy the next two, but I would like to see Basilisk Games succeed and continue to create great games. It greatly saddens me when companies like FASA and Black Isle get bought out, go bankrupt, or disband.
Leej
Apprentice

Post by Leej »

On slightly different tangent, I'd like to see some additional content to the series. Following the 'Book' format of Eschalon, it would be nifty to have a Eschalon Book 1: Epilogue that bridged the story between Book 1 and Book 2. This would be essentially an expansion pack for Book 1 using the same engine and using the player's character from the end of Book 1. Charge 10 bucks for it or something and use it as a teaser for Book 2.
Instead of a demo, release a Eschalon Book 2: Prologue. A stand alone small adventure that would give prospective players a complete feel for the game and the engine and set the stage for the purchased game. The purchased game would import the character from the Prologue for playing in the main game.
Create a Book 2 Epilogue to bridge 2 to Book 3, etc.
As a storytelling device I think this would be really cool. Suppose Book 2 takes place 20 years after Book 1. Can't really import the Book 1 character that we've become attached to. So set an adventure 10 years after Book 1, let us use our Book 1 character, lift the level cap a bit and toss in some extra attribute and skill points to simulate additional years of experience. Then craft an adventure that teases what will be the story line for Book 2. Reuse the same Book 1 engine, etc etc etc. Charge for it of course!
Be nifty. Players would win: we'd get additional Book 1 content for a small sum. Basilisk Games would win by reusing and generating a bit of additional revenue off the Book 1 engine that was painstakingly developed. The world of Eschalon would become immersive and epic in scope by giving the player a real sense of history. Then when Book 2 is out and the plot for book 3 is set, release a Book 2 Epilogue to tease Book 3.
Heck, I'd buy it!