RPGs that influenced me the most...

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

Its funny in these lists there are not many games I have not played alot of or at least tried....and if I find ones I havenot tried I goout and get them now...awesome.
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
Eye of the beholder 1 - 3 , WE NEED A REMAKE!
Patience....
Am I wrong or does this indeed imply that you are looking at making a Eye of Beholder type game :wink:
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Top secret stuff going on here. Nothing to report right now, but we have the engine and we have the ideas.
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Top secret stuff going on here. Nothing to report right now, but we have the engine and we have the ideas.
:shock: :lol: :cry: :lol: :) My Hands Up for Testing (Damn why don't you have a hand emot.)

Code: Select all

_.-._
              | | | |_
              | | | | |
              | | | | |
            _ |  '-._ |
            \`\`-.'-._;
             \    '   |
              \  .`  /
        jgs    |    |

http://www.ascii-art.com
:D
Neilsouth
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Neilsouth »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Top secret stuff going on here. Nothing to report right now, but we have the engine and we have the ideas.
Oh wow if you did make an eye of the beholder style game , i'd kiss your feet... Well only if they are clean :? :lol:
PaSquall
Steward

Post by PaSquall »

:D
(and if you make an editor, you'll need to find an orgasm smiley for me :lol: )
Amazadh Kristeopolous
Apprentice

Post by Amazadh Kristeopolous »

Good grief!! Some golden oldies listed here! :lol:

Well, it's my first post, so I'll do a quick list of what I can remember. I had been brought up on SciFi and fantasy, I had read my way through 2 local libraries, and had read every Tolkien available - even the Silmarillion - many times over!! I started playing RPGs with Advanced Dungeons and Dragons in 1979-80, just dice and paper, not even models at first. Entirely down to your imagination!!

My first computer was a Spectrum, upgraded to 48KB... heeeyyyyyy... those were the days... Then an Amiga 600, then 1200, and then my first Apple Mac. OK. The games I can remember...
The Hobbit
Colossal Adventure
Adventure Quest
Lord of the Rings
Bards Tale
Dungeon Master
Eye of the Beholder
Exile (1-3)
Avernum (1-5)
Blades of Exile
Blades of Avernum
Geneforge (1-4)
Nethergate
Celtic Kings
KnightShift

Does Elite count? - one of my all time favourite computer games. Played it on the Spectrum, 'Elite2, Final Frontier' on the Amiga, and as 'Oolite' on my Macs.

Probably missed loads. I also enjoy some on-line gaming, but I'm finding that a bit stressful these days, and giving up my sleep is not so easy any more, although I can take advantage of the bladder syndrome to attack someone unexpectedly in the middle of the night!!! :lol: :lol: :wink:
"Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes..."
Maelstrom
Steward

Post by Maelstrom »

Boy did some of those names bring back memories from elementary through high school. All of the text based Infocom games after Colossal Cave/Adventurer's Cave and something nobody's mentioned yet... Zork!

I was envious of my brother playing Wizardry 1 (Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord.) Took me about 1 year to save up the $50 to buy it since my bother was playing a friends copy. Liked it so much, bought Wiz 2 (Knight of Diamonds) and Wiz 3 (Legacy of Llylgamn.) Skipped Wiz 4 (Heart of the Maelstrom) since it never made it to Apple but Bard's Tale 3 did.

I was in college w/ a Mac when Wiz 5 (Bane of the Cosmic Forge) appeared. Wow! Was that a wonderful game! I still get dizzy thinking about spinning in circles to spawn encounters next to the gate at the entrance to the river Styx. Sporadically played other titles (Dungeon of Doom, Theldrow, Nethack, Mines of Moria) after Wiz 5 before getting sucked into Civilization 1 & 3 (4 hasn't captured my attention like Eschalon has.)

After that it was Realmz and now Eschalon (still working on finishing it for the first time but loving every second of play!)

I never realized I had played so many adventure/rpg games until now! :shock: THanks for the stroll down memory lane! The Battle of Westnoth is a good strategy game that should help anyone out there to bide their time until Book II is released.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

Here are a couple of very good ones that I don't think anyone has posted yet:

Gorky 17
Escape Velocity series
Kult: Heretic Kingdoms
Angband
Dinky Dungeon (freeware)

More of my RPG favorites:

the old D&D cPRGs
the old Might & Magic cRPGs
Ultima series
Quest for Glory V
Dungeon Master series
Icewind Dale
Baldur's Gate Series
Neverwinter Nights series
Deus Ex
Blades of Exile
Nethergate
Star Wars: KOTOR
Avernum Series
Geneforge series

There was also a WWII RPG called Another War which I was enjoying, but there seems to be a bug in the Mac version where it is impossible to leave the first area.

There are also many more that I've played, but these are the ones that came to mind immediately.

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.icubed.com/~judelk
mkreku
Apprentice

Post by mkreku »

The first RPG I played and enjoyed was Pool of Radiance on my trusty old Commodore 64. I still remember the amazement I felt when I realized that this game had everything I had been missing from every game I had ever played before: a developing world, story and character. I was completely in awe. Up until then I had only played games like Wizball, Arkanoid, Katakis and such, games that you'd play for thirty minutes at a time and always restarted over and over. Pool of Radiance was different. I could play it for hours on end and when I got tired, I saved and could return to that very same spot the next day!

Then I found Wasteland.. An RPG set in what I believe is the most interesting setting of them all: post-apocalyptic. I still consider Wasteland to be the best game I have ever played. Everything about it was so well thought out, from balancing to skills, to story, to world design, to character dialogue, to puzzles and quests.. everything. My avatar is one of the enemies you'll encounter in Wasteland.

I'm actually a little saddened by the fact that BasiliskWrangler hasn't gotten any of his inspiration from Wasteland.
Sslaxx
Council Member

Re: RPGs that influenced me the most...

Post by Sslaxx »

Ah, Wasteland. Never got very far on it, but it was certainly of interest.

Loved World of Xeen (IV+V), though I never really got far with III. Might well give that one another go.

As for influential games, I'd say among others:

:arrow: Ultima V (via Lazarus), VI, VII, VIII and yes IX (with the dialogue patches).
:arrow: Elder Scrolls III (with add-ons).
:arrow: Bard's Tale Trilogy.
:arrow: Wizardry VIII.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
subliminal
Pledge

Post by subliminal »

I'm usually just a lurker on boards like these, but this post made me register after many months of following threads.

I grew up playing RPG's like many of you. Some of the earliest(and best!!) I remember playing were on the C64; Legacy of the Ancients and Legend of Blacksilver. Both are top down 2D games like Eschalon, but they mixed in the 3D aspect when you entered dungeons. Both are entirely enjoyable, and in fact I recently re-played LoB with an emulator. (you can find both titles if you look hard enough..I do recommend the C64 version way way over the Apple versions though)

After those were the many Bard's Tales, 1-3 being the best. Ultima's and Wizardry's are also in the mix...followed closely by the D&D titles with the likes of Pools of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds, etc.

Anyways, Eschalon is one of my favorite games released lately, big developer or not. Keep up the good work, I'm really looking forward to Book II.

Back to lurking....
Jinx
Apprentice

Post by Jinx »

Wow, Legacy of the Ancients, I LOVED that game. In fact, just recently I was trying to recall the name of it.

Anyway, my list would be, in priority:

1. Bard's Tale
Hands down, the best RPG ever made in my ever-so-humble opinion. I loved, and still love, Bard's Tale I. I felt that they slowly declined after I though.

2. Ultima III-VII and Ultima Underworlds 1/2
Lord British was my hero growing up. I finally got to meet him last year. Woot!

3. Eye of the Beholder
It was the FIRST game I had a soundblaster on. I vividly remember the sound effect when a fireball crashed against the far wall. I was in heaven.

4. Might & Magic
When you won it, it would give you an address to mail your score to. I remember thinking we would get a free copy of M&M 2 as a prize, lulz.

5. Wizard's Crown
Anyone remember this game?

?. Eschelon: Book I
Not sure where it ranks, but Eschelon should be on anyone's list :)

*jinx
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

Jinx,

I still have Wizard's Crown and it's sequel the Eternal Dagger. There was also Shard of Spring and it's sequel Demon's Winter. Phantasie I,II, III, Questron and Gemstone Warrior. All of these games came from Strategic Simulations INC (SSI). Along with the gold box games. Was this the bronze age of CRPG's (1984-1995)?
History is written by the winners!
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

Where would the group rank the Alternate Reality series (City and Dungeon)?

I had a great deal of fun with these two games on my Atari 65XE. (The best way to play them! IMHO).
History is written by the winners!