The look of two-handed swords...

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
BigBadPig
Pledge

The look of two-handed swords...

Post by BigBadPig »

Hello to all!
Right off the bat I apologize for the possible bluntness of my question, however, the answer is very important to me, to the extent of not being able to play the game (I hope it will not come to such, as I generally enjoy the old-school games, and also this particular game looks most promising, but...).
So, to the question itself (finally :) ...): do the two-handed swords in this game really look two-handed? That is, are they being held in to hands, or just one?
Forgive the old "two-handers' lover"... :)
dak
Marshall

Post by dak »

you base your decision on buying the game off that? come on it is a great game,,,, if you love old-school RPG's just buy and enjoy! hehehe some people are so picky!
sapper_astro
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by sapper_astro »

The graphic looks two handed in the inventory. The swords themselves look the same on the character and can be wielded one handed.
BigBadPig
Pledge

Post by BigBadPig »

Thanks for answering. Gonna go all mage then :) .
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

When walking you would not hold a two handed sword in both hands unless of course it way to heavy. If it is too heavy you need a different sword anyway. But, when your character enters combat it would be nice if the character weilded the two handed sword in both hands. But, that aside the game is excellent.
History is written by the winners!
JOG
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by JOG »

To do it right you'd actually shoulder a claymore or greataxe or strap it on your back while walking, a quarterstaff would be used as a walking cane a longsword would be either held across the chest or like a two handed sword. Finally a shortsword and most daggers would be held with the point towards the elbow, only a bow would be held like weapons are usually held in CRPGs

Not a single of those pretty colorful action-"RPGs" for the ADD-affected does it right, so why should an old-school tile-based game that is based on imagination rather than presentation?
dak
Marshall

Post by dak »

I believe you wouldn't hold a one handed sword in your hand either it'd be kept inside a sword holder at your waist, maybe that's why the guy cannot walk faster? also there is a game when the two-handed sword is kept on your back, isn't it in the Gothic games?
JOG
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by JOG »

dak wrote:I believe you wouldn't hold a one handed sword in your hand either it'd be kept inside a sword holder at your waist,

I meant marching trough hostile territory, prepared to fight but unsure whether and where the battle will begin, or changing positions during a battle. I.e. in stress situations where you move while having your weapon at the ready but want to avoid hurting yourself and your allies.
dak wrote:also there is a game when the two-handed sword is kept on your back, isn't it in the Gothic games?

Ultima9, Gothic, Oblivion, The Witcher and several MMORPGs but it's always carrying a weapon not wielding it while moving.