Trainers for skills? (possible spoilers)

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

who in blackwater trains Elemental. Or is that actually at Shadowmirk?
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
Josia
Senior Steward

Post by Josia »

Necromis wrote:who in blackwater trains Elemental. Or is that actually at Shadowmirk?
It's Blackwater. There's a local Mage's Guild in the south corner of the town; the resident sells some high level spells and magical components as well as trains Arcane: Elemental.
Hathorian
Initiate

Post by Hathorian »

what items are needed to activate the portal in version 1.04 (and what area is the portal in)? I skimped a bit too much on my starting skills and I need to visit some trainers asap.
Hathorian
Initiate

Post by Hathorian »

heh. It was easy enough to make my way to bordertown and blackwater without the teleport. Life is so easy as a magick user. so powerful if you know what you are doing!
ArkansasIMCista
Initiate

Post by ArkansasIMCista »

Hathorian, one of the ingredients you need to activate the portal is fairly rare. You won't be able to find it until you are high level, though in a nice little catch-22, you can buy it in Blackwater once you get there. :wink:

It is possible to run to Blackwater as a low level. I did it as a Level 1 armed only with foreknowledge of the route, a couple of Haste potions, and some patience.

There's a map on this forum, possibly 2-4 pages back by now, which will give you a rough idea of the route. You will be chased by various monsters who will rip low levels apart if they catch you. The Haste pots are for a couple of choke points where a gang of monsters can block your access if you are not tricky/lucky enough. Otherwise you can usually keep ahead of the nasties until you go off the edge of the map onto the next screen, where they can't follow you. The patience is for restoring after mistakes or bad luck. Quick Save is your friend on this dangerous journey so use it often.

The run to Blackwater is a spine-tingling daredevil marathon as a low level. Given the access to trainers and supplies it is definitely worth doing as early as possible though. Don't forget to find and touch the town marker so you can Quick Travel back. Oh, and it costs $100 to buy your way in so budget for that too. Have fun. :lol:

EDIT: Hehe, it looks like we were posting at the same time, Hathorian. Glad you found your way there.
Hathorian
Initiate

Post by Hathorian »

ArkansasIMCista wrote:Hathorian, one of the ingredients you need to activate the portal is fairly rare. You won't be able to find it until you are high level, though in a nice little catch-22, you can buy it in Blackwater once you get there. :wink:

It is possible to run to Blackwater as a low level. I did it as a Level 1 armed only with foreknowledge of the route, a couple of Haste potions, and some patience.

There's a map on this forum, possibly 2-4 pages back by now, which will give you a rough idea of the route. You will be chased by various monsters who will rip low levels apart if they catch you. The Haste pots are for a couple of choke points where a gang of monsters can block your access if you are not tricky/lucky enough. Otherwise you can usually keep ahead of the nasties until you go off the edge of the map onto the next screen, where they can't follow you. The patience is for restoring after mistakes or bad luck. Quick Save is your friend on this dangerous journey so use it often.

The run to Blackwater is a spine-tingling daredevil marathon as a low level. Given the access to trainers and supplies it is definitely worth doing as early as possible though. Don't forget to find and touch the town marker so you can Quick Travel back. Oh, and it costs $100 to buy your way in so budget for that too. Have fun. :lol:

EDIT: Hehe, it looks like we were posting at the same time, Hathorian. Glad you found your way there.
Thanks for the info! I found it wasn't so hard to do the run with my mage at around level 4 or so. lvl 6 fire dart is very good at low levels so long as you make sure to keep space between you and your enemies.

btw, for anyone that cares, i figured out a way to avoid the 100 gp entry fee to blackwater.

spoiler:
walk to the SW of blackwater and lure the mercenary (a thug might also tag along which is fine) back to the southern entrance of blackwater. It is easy to get the guard and merc to fight each other in which case the merc will win easily. you are then free to trip the lever at no cost to you. :)
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

or just kill the guard yourself. I do that and the guard on the inside never retaliates. I found this out the hard way. I triped the gate and he attacked. I killed him and nothing else happened. ;)
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
Siemova
Apprentice

Post by Siemova »

So, back to the main topic: I don't believe I ever found any books or trainers to teach Lore, Unarmed Combat, Short Bladed Weapons, Shields, Dodge, or Meditation. Did anyone else?
"What you embrace is what you become."