[HowTo] Restart/reset the game with your actual character

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
MrPhoenix
Initiate

[HowTo] Restart/reset the game with your actual character

Post by MrPhoenix »

okay people, i've read about the fix with the problem in vela. resetting the area.
so i've thought by myself how awesome i'd be if i could reset the whole world. the whole game. and start all over again with my full equipped high level char. just for fun.
i deleted every *.map, *.ent and *.opq i found in my folder and started my game - and guess what? it worked!
everything was back again. every fanged salamander, every npc, every chest and barrel intact and closed.
the only problem was ... it didn't reset the quests. so i wouldn't exactly play the game again since i couldn't do the quests. i just could slaughter through all those mobs again, explore all the dungeons again and put some color on my empty mini map.

so i played around a bit and found out that your journal/questlog is located in your character file. you can delete it easily with any hex-editor you want.

To reset the world of Eschalon to explore it once more:

just start a new game with a dummy character, save it, delete the char-file in your savegame folder and replace it with a copy of your real character.
open the file with a hex editor and delete your questlog.

load.
enjoy!
confused1
Apprentice

Post by confused1 »

This can also be used to gain levels quickly by having three save slots.

1. This has your main data.

2. Brand new character at house.

3. Used to copy character data.

Steps:

1. Copy your data from your main to the second save.

2. Load save and read the second note. This gives you 500 xp!

3. Save to the third slot.

4. Copy Char data from third slot to the second slot.

5. Repeat steps 2-4.

Then when you are done copy the save from slot 3 to your main slot.

Don't call me a noob or anything just because I know how to do this.
oldguy
Pledge

Post by oldguy »

MrPhoenix: not real familiar with hexedit; do you change all the highlighted in your post to 0 to reset? It would be interesting to try this just to see how it works!
ArkansasIMCista
Initiate

Post by ArkansasIMCista »

Oldguy, at least in the Mac version, there's an easy way to reset the entire world without having to hexedit anything. Save a game with a high level character and remember which slot you save it in. Start a new game and save that one in another slot, again noting which slot you saved it in. Go to your Documents folder and find the Eschalon Book 1 Saved Games folder. Remove the char file from the new game folder and replace it with a copy of your high level character's char file. Voila! Your high level character is back at the start of the game with quests and everything else reset while still retaining all his exp, stats, skills, and equipment.

One cautionary note: It's actually pretty boring to play the game that way since you can easily slash through every monster and you probably have all the best goodies already, so there's nothing fun left to find. It might be more interesting if you could reset your high level character's level back to 1 while keeping all equipment and skills already gained but that would require hexediting which I don't know how to do.
Just another old, tired teddy bear