The Age of Decadence

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

The Age of Decadence

Post by Iane »

Something a few of us might be interested in

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/index.htm
Feidb
Apprentice

Post by Feidb »

It looked interesting until I saw the isometric viewpoint. I made a huge exception for Eschalon, but won't for most other games. I prefer first person. However, it's nice to know some of you out there are keeping an eye out for new under the radar games.

Thanks!
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

Hmm Vaultdwellers game....yeah....hmmm....better be good after how much trashes all other games.
vid
Senior Steward

Post by vid »

Rune_74 wrote:Hmm Vaultdwellers game....yeah....hmmm....better be good after how much trashes all other games.
I think it will be good, if they won´t polish it to death.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I'm sure AoD is going to be great when it's finished, however I don't know if it's going to be my type of RPG. From what I understand it's a bit more historical based than fantasy based- meaning very limited magic and no real monsters. I know VD is working to get an fairly advanced dialog system in place so that there is real plot variation based on your choices. The gameplay highlights are loads of dialog with NPCs and tactical combat with NPCs. That's not a very "fantasy" RPG, but if VD pulls off a kick-ass storyline and an interesting, explorable gameworld I will still dig it!
micks
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by micks »

I have been following promising indie RPG games (especially those with some chance of a Linux version) for quite a while, looking forward to both Age of Decadence and Planewalker Games' The Broken Hourglass. They both look more promising than most "big name" titles out there. However, Eschalon was completely off my radar until I noticed the Linux demo release note on linuxgames.com, so you can imagine my pleasant surprise at learning about the game AND being able to buy full version on the very same day :)

I think AoD and TBH complement E:B1 nicely in that each game is leaning towards the elements we loved in the old-school isometric RPGs, but each of them stresses a different aspect: Eschalon goes for solo, stat-heavy gameplay, AoD for low-magic, post-apocalyptic setting and intricate storyline, TBH for party -based gameplay and party interaction. I for one find all three concepts appealing. It's almost as if the good old days of computer RPGs were coming back :)
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I'm sure AoD is going to be great when it's finished, however I don't know if it's going to be my type of RPG. From what I understand it's a bit more historical based than fantasy based- meaning very limited magic and no real monsters. I know VD is working to get an fairly advanced dialog system in place so that there is real plot variation based on your choices. The gameplay highlights are loads of dialog with NPCs and tactical combat with NPCs. That's not a very "fantasy" RPG, but if VD pulls off a kick-ass storyline and an interesting, explorable gameworld I will still dig it!
Yea I have to agree with you on the gameworld setting. However, Im still curious about this game and may end up liking it. Seems like it's never going to come out though.
Horace2
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Horace2 »

i watched a combat video and it appeared to be suffering from feature creep, always a sign that the game designers don't really know what they're doing. We'll see though!!
screeg
Marshall

Post by screeg »

I've been following AoD as well and I don't doubt in the slightest that it will be released eventually.

They're passing everything they do in the game through the "fan filter", letting people discuss it at length (and I mean *at length*) on the forums and using their advice to guide some of the development. Back when the forums were on the Codex it just seemed like an exercise in masochism, but many aspects of the game have been vastly improved with the help of all this feedback. I imagine it takes a lot of patience to do it that way, but it is looking very polished.

Reading the math breakdown for two-handed weapons, shields, ranged attacks, etc. suggested to me that the turn-based combat is going to play a major role in AoD, which is fine with me. Any game with great turn-based combat I can play again and again.
Cyclopean - an HP Lovecraft inspired Role-Playing Game
Durrock
Initiate

Post by Durrock »

looks interesting. I just am tired of the skinny 3d graphics, that always look "brown" for some reason? I loved the visual look of Eschalon, the colors, the art, and warmth. Sounds goofy I guess, but I've always like the Ultima games and style of art.

**edit: I think there is a lack of "depth" to 3d graphics that I don't like. For example, walls seem to narrow, there is no "weight" behind things...
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: The Age of Decadence

I've been following AoD as long as anybody, and I think it looks great. I've stated above that I am sorta picky when it comes to RPG, preferring old-school high-fantasy/monsters/magic as opposed to the more historical based theme of AoD with its Roman and Egyptian references. But if Vince and crew can meet fans' expectations, it should be a great addition to anyone's role-playing library! I will definitely be buying a copy.

The character screens look great!
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

[Moved to RPG Discussion]
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Anyone know the latest on this one?
This is one of the few new RPGs aside from Eschalon that I'm keeping my eye on...
screeg
Marshall

Post by screeg »

All are waiting on the Combat Demo, which is currently being polished and tested mercilessly. You basically get to do character generation and many fights against all kinds of opponents in the Arena. Once the Combat Demo has been released and torn apart by interested players, it should be relatively few steps from there to the final release.
Cyclopean - an HP Lovecraft inspired Role-Playing Game
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

If this game gets any more polish the brightest may blind us! Still waiting for this game. I have a feeling Book II will be out before AoD!
History is written by the winners!