Q&A - Ask a question, Get an answer

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
JimmieBJr
Pledge

Post by JimmieBJr »

I have found a chest that requires I know what number to set a slider to in order to open it. I've not found any reference to the chest anywhere I've gone to this point. Can anyone give me a bit of a tip about where to ask to find the right number?
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

SPOILER!!!!
----------------

This thread will tell you outright what the number is, I believe. If you don't want to know, don't click the link:

http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... umbers+set
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.icubed.com/~judelk
JimmieBJr
Pledge

Post by JimmieBJr »

Jude wrote: This thread will tell you outright what the number is, I believe. If you don't want to know, don't click the link:
Thanks. If I get stuck, I'll go there. I was more wondering where I can, in the game, find clues to the correct slider number.
aekmom
Pledge

need help desperately with first amulet

Post by aekmom »

ok, i am a bit of a novice (understatement) and i have been all over this site and others reading posts and trying to find an answer, but I can't seem to get what I need.

I am in the beginning, level 3, i am in the vault looking for my amulet. The vault is completely clean, i have killed everything, even the zombies. i went out to the northern most section where there are two areas of caskets, a chest, etc. -- i also have two keys -- but there was not an amulet anywhere. Am I missing something? Please help!!
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

Look for a tile you can step on in the middle of a room, aekmom.
Mac
Pledge

Post by Mac »

I give up. I don't seem to be able to get into the repository in Blackwater. I have the amulet and there's a weird "painted" door to one of the tavern rooms (which is where I suspect I'm supposed to go), but I can't figure out how to open it and I can't rent that room. I've worn the amulet, tried to use it on the door, tried both the options when talking to the tavern keeper (giving him my name and telling him it's none of his business) but other than a price difference, nothing happens.

Did I do something wrong somewhere? Am I looking in the wrong place?

Mac
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Post by silverkitty »

there's three "uninhabited" rooms in town. check those out and see if that helps (Lilith should've warned you that you'd need to poke around a little)
Grue
Steward

Post by Grue »

Mac, you need to explore Blackwater a bit more. Try the western end, there ought to be a house that somehow catches your attention...

SPOILER (if you want a direct answer)
You need to go to the house/room with a dead corpse in it (behind a locked door, IIRC). It's near the western gate. It's been awhile since I did that part of the game, but IIRC once you're near the right place, you get a notice saying something about the horrible odor that's coming from the room or something to that end. You might need to talk to the woman living next door (other side of the street) first, can't remember. Well, at least she's complaining about the stench and thus giving you a hint that something's amiss next door. The room with corpse has a letter (or somefink) that gives you a name that you can give to the innkeeper, a code of sorts (a new dialogue option). This code let's you get to the closed off room, and from there you may access the vault by going through a secret door in the northern wall (just walk up through it). Sorry, that I can't remember it more clearly, but I hope this helps.
EDIT: Silverkitty posted as I was typing my post. Well, double the help is better than no help, eh? ;)
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Mac
Pledge

Post by Mac »

Thanks for the hint. I have covered every inch of Blackwater, in and out of the city walls. I found two uninhabited rooms near the lower gate; one of them apparently has a corpse in it and the other has a trapped door. Both are locked, but I'm afraid of antagonizing the town if I open them. I suppose I could do a save/restore just in case, but I'd like to know if I'm on the right track (without going to the spoiler just yet :) ) before I proceed.

I know. I'm a woosie.

Mac

PS. Never mind. Got it covered. Thanks for the help.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I'm locking this thread because there is no reason to post to it anymore and it has sort of lost its focus. Any further questions about Book I can be asked in this forum.

In a few months we'll open a Book II Q&A thread, but right now we don't have enough answers for you to start one.