Savefile Character / Map Editor v1.0.1 (April 15, 2014)

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Savefile Character / Map Editor

Post by xolotl »

dare49devil wrote:Alright, so has anyone tried placing a spell in their inventory? I used a spell that was already in my inventory as a reference to what I was doing, so I copied the attributes of that one for the new one I wanted to put in my inventory (obviously with different stuff). However, in-game when I 'right click to learn' the game crashes and closes.
Hm, did you try doing an actual copy/paste via the editor, or did you do it by hand? I don't really have much experience doing item-creation-from-scratch apart from weapons and armor, so I'm not really sure what needs to be done scriptwise for a lot of that stuff. Note that you can just go to the "Spells" tab and check the checkmark next to whatever spell you wanted, and then it'll just already be in your spell journal, instead of having to activate a scroll in your inventory.
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Post by dare49devil »

xolotl wrote:Hm, did you try doing an actual copy/paste via the editor, or did you do it by hand? I don't really have much experience doing item-creation-from-scratch apart from weapons and armor, so I'm not really sure what needs to be done scriptwise for a lot of that stuff. Note that you can just go to the "Spells" tab and check the checkmark next to whatever spell you wanted, and then it'll just already be in your spell journal, instead of having to activate a scroll in your inventory.
-I know I can go to the "spells tab" but I was checking some stuff and needed to create the spells in my inventory for statistical information...

-I know how to create weapons/armor/magical stuff in my inventory, same way as you, but when it comes to spells I guess it is different...?

-Normally you just type in the name, the category, sub-category, value, weight...Then the characteristics you want (+dex, etc...), and it places the item in your inventory and everything is fine yes? But when attempting that for spells...I get a game crash.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

dare49devil wrote:-Normally you just type in the name, the category, sub-category, value, weight...Then the characteristics you want (+dex, etc...), and it
places the item in your inventory and everything is fine yes? But when attempting that for spells...I get a game crash.
That certainly sounds like it should work, at least. I'd still be curious to see if it works if you do a copy/paste instead of editing it from scratch, of course... Is there anything in the "script" field for those?
Arrogancy
Initiate

Post by Arrogancy »

This question of making items is especially relevant to me. I accidentally threw away the blue goblin key, and, uh....yeah. I'd really like to not restart this guy.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Arrogancy wrote:This question of making items is especially relevant to me. I accidentally threw away the blue goblin key, and, uh....yeah. I'd really like to not restart this guy.
Recreating a goblin key should be trivial - just copy one of your existing goblin keys and then change the name in the editor (and the pic, too, if you want). That or just follow the instructions elsewhere to "reset" Shadowmirk Level 3; you can get another goblin key that way.
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Post by dare49devil »

xolotl wrote:That certainly sounds like it should work, at least. I'd still be curious to see if it works if you do a copy/paste instead of editing it from scratch, of course... Is there anything in the "script" field for those?
-I got it to work. I forgot to add the 'remove' command after the 'learn' command. DOH! I'm an idiot. Haha.
Junon
Initiate

Post by Junon »

I'm trying to edit 24.map to get myself out of a grove of trees I loaded into the middle of. I can load the .map file that's in the data directory just fine but when I attempt to load the 24.map in the savegame directory, I get the error "Load Error...Error: The specified file could not be loaded. Please choose a different file and try again." and python.exe just states "error reading string value"

The changes I make to the 'data' version naturally are not showing up when I load the game. Is there any way to work around this?
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Junon wrote:I'm trying to edit 24.map to get myself out of a grove of trees I loaded into the middle of. I can load the .map file that's in the data directory just fine but when I attempt to load the 24.map in the savegame directory, I get the error "Load Error...Error: The specified file could not be loaded. Please choose a different file and try again." and python.exe just states "error reading string value"

The changes I make to the 'data' version naturally are not showing up when I load the game. Is there any way to work around this?
Howdy - someone else is having that exact problem, actually, which I'm having a hard time reproducing. Could you email me your 24.map (and the "24.ent" file as well) which is giving you problems? I'd love to fix this and get a new version out, but it's difficult when I can't actually reproduce the problem yet. :) Also, I assume you're on Windows?
Junon
Initiate

Post by Junon »

xolotl wrote: Howdy - someone else is having that exact problem, actually, which I'm having a hard time reproducing. Could you email me your 24.map (and the "24.ent" file as well) which is giving you problems? I'd love to fix this and get a new version out, but it's difficult when I can't actually reproduce the problem yet. :) Also, I assume you're on Windows?

Unfortunately I already overwrote the save in that slot, but this issue actually happens with any .map in the savegame directory. I'll still send a couple of the files along.

And I'm playing the Steam version of the game on Vista x64.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Junon wrote:on Vista x64.
Ooh, you know - I bet that that could be some of the issue here; when I'm reading in the files, I wonder if I'm reading in too many bits for the integers, or something. Anyway, I got your email, I should have a chance to take a closer look in the next day or two. Thanks!
SuperCaptain
Pledge

Post by SuperCaptain »

I'm having some issues getting this to work. I installed all the necessary files and tried running the char editor. Dos window flashes for a second, I managed to get a screencap of what it says, which is:

"Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp1_eschalon_b1_utils-0.4.1
.zip\eschalon_b1_utils-0.4.1\eschalon_b1_char.py", line 24, in <module>
from eschalon.b1.character import Character
ImportError: No module named eschalonb1.character"

Anyone have a fix? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help.

EDIT: In case it's important, I'm running the Steam version on Win64
SuperCaptain
Pledge

Post by SuperCaptain »

Here's the cap of the error
Attachments
Full error here
Full error here
Untitled.jpg (43.9 KiB) Viewed 9306 times
SuperCaptain
Pledge

Post by SuperCaptain »

That's what I get for not reading through the entire thread =p. Issue was that I was using the wrong version of glade (only 2.6 works). Works like a charm now.
dascott
Pledge

Post by dascott »

... aaand installing the same files again resolved it somehow. /boggle
Luzur
Apprentice

Post by Luzur »

ya know, if you made it into a seperate program/trainer (instead of people have to install Python and whatnot) it would be easier for all of us.
---------------------------------------------
Collector of CRPG's and Commodore computers.