Shady Guy in Blackwater

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Gracie P.
Initiate

Shady Guy in Blackwater

Post by Gracie P. »

I killed Lilith and got her amulet. Before giving it to the shady dude I used it and got the item from the chest. I then gave him the amulet and he didn't seem to notice I had the item from the chest in my inventory. He didn't say anything when he gave me the quest other then kill Lilith and then show him the amulet as proof. I did both of those things.

Is this bit of petty thievery going to botch my game/main quest or something? TIA.

Gracie P.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

No, you are fine. But you just stole something of great value from an unscrupulous character. You should watch your back...
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

Hey BW/Thom, I found a glitch in dealing with him. If you quick travel out of blackwater map rather than walk you never get that encounter with him later. You might want to make it unavailable to quick travel until after that encounter. Just a thought.
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Is that a glitch? So he is waiting around outside of Blackwater to get you, but if you use your magick to teleport in/out of town then he is never able to confront you. You are using your skills/abilities to avoid a confrontation.

Makes sense to me! ;)
Elwro
Senior Steward

Post by Elwro »

But is quick travel magic? Certainly seems so, since it works like instant teleportation, but I thought that it was just a method of fast-forwarding the normal, physical journey.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Oh, my bad- I overlooked his statement of Quick Travel and thought he meant Teleport. You are right, Quick Travel is not magick.

Yeah, that would be a bit of inconsistency. That's due to the fact that Quick Travel was added very late in development, so it was bound to have an effect on some existing scripts.
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

hey I didn't complain. It let me get my mage up a bit higher before taking him on. I knew where he was and kinda just used it as an option to *delay* that encounter. LOL ;)
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
kurush2
Pledge

Post by kurush2 »

Any way to get this guy without killing the lady? It would be cool if you can do this quest in a good way...
farvardin
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by farvardin »

the first time he proposed me to kill Lilith, I refused, and then he didn't propose to do it again. This man looks suspicious, but was it necessary to do this quest for finishing the game or not ? (I don't think so, but I am just curious if it could alter the end of the game in any way)
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Post by GSV3MiaC »

As far as I know you have to take the quest (and do it, and cheat him) to get the second encounter with him and his chums. If you decline the quest, or never complete it, nothing happens, and no, it doesn't affect the main line in any way.
Disnel
Initiate

Post by Disnel »

I'am missing an option to agree with him and then say Lilith that somebody wants to kill her ....
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Post by GSV3MiaC »

Yep, those are the sort of detailed action/dialogue options that E1 is sadly lacking. It would also be nice to have a second chance with him, as in 'I've reconsidered and I'll do it after all..'
Bartek
Initiate

Post by Bartek »

Disnel wrote:I'am missing an option to agree with him and then say Lilith that somebody wants to kill her ....
Exactly. Not having the option to inform Lilith about his plot, I refused his proposal and killed him instead (there is a dialog option that triggers combat) becase I considered this the right thing to do, even if it was against powergaming :lol:

This quest definitelty shoud be expanded. The same issue with "goblin portal" quest - you should be able to punish or blackmail the priest in Aridell etc.
riy
Pledge

Post by riy »

Bartek wrote:Not having the option to inform Lilith about his plot, I refused his proposal and killed him instead (there is a dialog option that triggers combat) becase I considered this the right thing to do, even if it was against powergaming :lol:
I thought I tried all the dialog options in the tavern, but I couldn't get him to attack me there without committing a crime in front of the tavernkeeper. I'm pursuing a rather Chaotic solution to this quest: I played around with savefiles (no hex editing required) to send my character into a possible future where Lilith's amulet was sitting in a sack. So now I have a copy of the amulet, but no memory (or experience points) from killing her, and she's still alive. I'm "borrowing" her sword with the notion of returning it to the repository after the game. It's fun to imagine what her reaction might be to finding it imbued +3/+3 the next time she sees it. :)

If you care more about the in-game definition of murder, another option would be to find out if she really is deathly allergic to hive drone stings. :twisted:
Bartek wrote:This quest definitelty shoud be expanded. The same issue with "goblin portal" quest - you should be able to punish or blackmail the priest in Aridell etc.
I agree. I'm planning to kill Father Michael when I'm sure I no longer need his services. It would be nice to have some dialog first. Another option would be a post-victory epilogue about his fate.
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Post by GSV3MiaC »

You can get him to attack you IF you have already spoken to Lilith, and tell him that you're a friend of hers, or words to that effect.