Bug with Mercantile Skill Books?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
sultanoswing
Initiate

Bug with Mercantile Skill Books?

Post by sultanoswing »

Great game, thanks Basilisk - 'old school' indeed!

I'm running the 1.04 Linux version (having purchased the full game - thanks also for supporting *nix!).

I have found several of the Mercantile Skill books - the first one gave my character the 'Merchant' skill, with the little fanfare music. Subsequent mercantile books don't improve my skill rating however, while other books I've found, e.g. skullduggery, do improve their respective ratings.

A bug or a feature specific to some books / skills?
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

I think this is intended, sultanoswing. Each book only works once, no matter how many copies you find.
sultanoswing
Initiate

Post by sultanoswing »

Dang! I think you're correct - the last skullduggery book I found didn't do anything!
Opunaesala
Apprentice

Post by Opunaesala »

Yep, theres a book that gives you one level and a book that gives you 2 levels for most if not all the skills.
Josia
Senior Steward

Post by Josia »

Opunaesala wrote:Yep, theres a book that gives you one level and a book that gives you 2 levels for most if not all the skills.
Not quite - there is only 1 book for any given skill. If you read it while you have a skill of 0, it gives you a skill of 1. If you read it while you have a skill of greater than 0, it boosts your skill level by 2. Any further readings of that book or any copy of that book will have no effect.
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

The purpose of the books and the trainers are to gain skills you could not get at character creation or to increase skills that you have. The books and trainers allow you to acquire skills without having to spend precious skill points you get when you level up. You can use the level up skill points to improve your primary skills. If you use your level up skill points to learn a new skill it takes all three points which are better spent on your primary skills.
History is written by the winners!