How are sales so far? Is there def gonna be a Book II?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Exarch
Pledge

How are sales so far? Is there def gonna be a Book II?

Post by Exarch »

I bought the game at launch, and played for 2 hours, let it sit for almost 2 months, for unknown reasons. Now, I cant stop playing and am playing 3 chars simultaneously. What a great game.

Just wondering if sales were better than expected, or worse, or right on track? I understand that you cant give details, and the actual numbers are confidential, but how bought a rough idea.

I just want to know if we are definitely getting a Book II!

Thanks.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

We have just started work on Book II, but we have not officially announced anything.

Thanks for your support!
mkreku
Apprentice

Post by mkreku »

Any news on potential mod tools for the community? Especially if you're considering changing game engines (I read a poll about it)..

I love Eschalon: Book I and its only flaw (well, almost..) is that there's just not enough of it. Not enough recipes, not enough maps. not enough side-quests, not enough characters, not enough books, not enough equipment and so on. I am sure that would all change if you released mod tools.

Besides, I think it's a huge mistake to NOT have adequate tools for content creation. I read somewhere on these forums that you used very basic and difficult tools when creating content for Eschalon: Book I. Big mistake, in my opinion. Bad tools affect everything, from morale to efficiency.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

mkreku:

The biggest problem is that Book I was not designed to be very moddable. We are t planning on making Book II more easily accessible in that regard. There is just no way to offer up mod tools for Book I without massive amounts of reworking to the engine, and most people would rather see that effort go into Book II.

You are right- Book I was just not large enough. Being our first game, it was hard to tell just how big was "big enough". The game was a little short, but we will correct that with Book II.

As for the tools used for Book I- they are not inadequate by any means, but since we made them for ourselves they lack documentation and so are nearly impossible for outsiders to use. Our scripting system is proprietary, the map editor has about 20 undocumented keystrokes, most variables are abbreviated and would not be clear to the end user, and the editor layout is optimized for our 1920x1200 monitors which is generally larger than most people at home have. So, we have the tools but they are not suitable for public release.
ridcully
Initiate

Post by ridcully »

So while we are being nosy: might you shed some light on the relation between the sells of the different platforms? So will there be different platforms supported with BookII? I read in another thread you are setting up a linux box for developement - so i would assume a linux version as granted.
Ebi
Initiate

Post by Ebi »

Und nun habt Ihr zwei verkaufte Disk-Versionen mehr! :)

Ich schreibe auf deutsch, um vielleicht ein paar Unentschlossene aus Deutschland zu animieren, das Spiel zu kaufen.

Nachdem ich das Spiel durchgespielt habe, werde ich mich detailliert zu den Verbesserungsvorschlägen zu Book 2 äussern, da gibt es einige. ;)

---------------------------

Now there are two sold Hardcopy more! :)

I'm writin n german language to encourage other german people to buy the game.

After I finish the game I'll give some details to my suggestions for improvements in Book II. There are a view. ;)
sirchet
Apprentice

Post by sirchet »

Please keep us posted on Book II's status. I believe I have become addicted to this game. I find myself rolling a new character sometimes just to try to get all 14's. Has anyone ever actually rolled straight 14's without cheating?

Oh well, Please keep us posted.
Help is good when asked for,
better when needed.