Eye of the Beholder

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Eye of the Beholder

Post by Saxon1974 »

Just started a replay through of this game for the first time in many years. Great game, only part that can be frustrating is figuring out where you are.

Great atmosphere in this one, I sure hope Basilisk's other engine is something similar.

It's a shame Westwood is no longer with us.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Westwood certainly was an amazing developer. Besides creating some incredible RPGs, they practically invented the RTS genre with Dune 2 and Command & Conquer.

I haven't played EoB for a while, but I finished EoB II recently and was thoroughly entertained.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Westwood certainly was an amazing developer. Besides creating some incredible RPGs, they practically invented the RTS genre with Dune 2 and Command & Conquer.

I haven't played EoB for a while, but I finished EoB II recently and was thoroughly entertained.
Totally forgot about C&C, while im not a RTS guy I did play and like that game, my friends were heavy into it for a while.

Sounds like most people feel that EOBII is the better game, however I want to play them in order and EOBI is the one I remember most playing in high school. I also heard that they took out the cinematic ending in the DOS version of EOBI which irritated many people. Supposedly the Amiga port (Which I am playing) had the ending added back in so we will see.

It's hard to put my finger on why but the staple westwood RPG's were pretty simplistic but just had an atmosphere and playability that was great, not sure how they did that so well.

Lands of Lore was great too, didnt like the sequel or the third one much though.

They also made the Battletech RPG which I loved.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Re: Eye of the Beholder

Post by Saxon1974 »

Finished part I. Very entertaining game, it could use a bit more NPC dialog and quests, but overall I had a great time with it. I actually finished it this time too 8) I did use the clue book though, certain parts were vary tough without looking at maps and I just dont have the time to keep doing things over and over.

The ending wasn't all that great, was ok but I would have liked a bit more. I won't share what it is for those that might still want to play the game.

Im off to play EOBII now which I am told is the best of the series.

Happy Adventuring :)
Zakhal
Initiate

Post by Zakhal »

EOB trilogy is on the list once I finish wizardry 3-5. I own all ad&d games from original pool of radiance to the latest expansion pack of nwn2. I plan to play them all but sofar I have finished only the first game. :mrgreen:
Mongolian
Marshall

Post by Mongolian »

Ugg...i beat EoB on the classic NES few months back. Very very fun game. Not sure why i don't get into many dungeon crawl games but EoB was so nice. I really enjoyed the pace of the game and the latter levels really were nice and suspenceful (despite the fact, i got stuck forever).
almondblight
Initiate

Post by almondblight »

Just started playing this game as well - very fun, it doesn't hold your hand at all. This takes some getting used to when you've been playing newer games that treat you like you're stupid.

Any advice for a party? Do I need a thief?

Oh, and can't wait for the Basilisk EOB type game.
Mongolian
Marshall

Post by Mongolian »

All that really matters is if you have 1 priest. Mage is ok.. you can be fine with just filling in two fighers. And yes.. you will get to use 2 more slots of players which also come several fighters and 1 of every class in case you needed it.

And yes, I would kinda skip the theif..but maybe you can find use.
Heavy Metal Monk
Apprentice

Post by Heavy Metal Monk »

I own and have beaten the SNES version of EotB.

>.<

Yeah, I know.

But I was like, 12. I'm 18 now, and it does look and play MUCH better on DosBox.

After I get my new PC in a month or so, I'm gonna install DosBox and go through all three games. I don't want to start installing stuff on this because I'm wiping it in a matter of weeks, anyway.