Quick Travel?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Petrucio
Pledge

Quick Travel?

Post by Petrucio »

I've read about quick travel several times, but how the heck do I do it? Every time I clear a dungeon, I have to take a long walk back to Town to sell loot and restock, it's driving me nuts.

Thanks.
Petrucio
Pledge

Re: Quick Travel?

Post by Petrucio »

Thanks a lot. Didn't bother to go check the icons in the start menu, didn't even see there was a manual there... My life just got a hell of a lot easier now... :)
LuvizBlind
Initiate

Post by LuvizBlind »

Hi there everyone. Just started playing Book I a few days ago and am having a blast! I'm an oldtimer gamer, started playing D&D as a teen and that means I've been doing this for way more years than some of you are old. :)

I've got a problem though with this quick travel thing. I can't seem to activate some of the them. Currently my character is up in Bordertown, has already delivered the letter to the captain in Darkford... I can't seem to find any sign or obelisk to click on that gives me the ability to quicktravel back here to Bordertown. I also have been to Grimmwald, hmm, can't remember if it was east or west, but I didn't venture in there as of yet. I did find an obelisk by it and clicking on it did not give me the quick travel option either. I've spent so many, many hours just walking around! If someone could give me a hint or two as to what I'm doing wrong or the locations of the clickable signs/obelisks that establish the quicktravel I'd really appreciate it. Hopefully I'm not experiencing a bug of some kind. I really don't want to start over...

This one is my third character, so third time's the charm for me. Heh. My first char was a Fighter, but I messed up on picking his skills and attributes (spread them too thin) and it was too much to fix, so I rerolled at level 3. That time I tried a Fighter again, with a little magic mixed in, but once again it seemed way too difficult to accomplish anything. And I still hadn't done a good job with the skills; I get so anxious to play initially that I sometimes don't think things out well enough. Toughed it out again to level 3 and decided to reroll. This last time, I'm having a much better go at things (also found and read quite a bit here in your forum, so thanks to all the hints on char dev that I picked up!) This one is a Rogue, and I concentrated all my skill points on sword, bow, light armor, pick locks, with 1 pt in cartography, and 1 pt in Hide in shadows. He's coming along quite well, now level 5. Finally picked up some alchemy and thrown weapons from the trainers in Bordertown. I'm a happy little camper at the moment.... well I'd be happier if I could activate the quick travel if someone could lend an old gal a hand...

:bows:

TIA for any help!

PS to the game developer... Thanks so much! Awesome game. Love the old school feel. Definite throwback to pen and paper games, love the solo aspect... (next time I wanna Female! ;) ) I'll comment some more elsewhere while I'm waiting for a pointer on this quick travel thing, think I recall a thread it'd be more appropriate in. Thanks again, can't wait for Book II!!!!!
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Welcome, I too am a long time player and of the 'older' generations. :)

As for your questions...

Bordertown has a sign somewhere near the blacksmith. Click on it.
Grimmwald has an east and west obelisk. Get as close to it as you can and click. As I recall there are 2 in someplaces and you have to find the right one. You may have to click a couple of times before it connects. I recall having to do that once or twice. :D
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

And the obelisk in Loneloft is broken, LuvizBlind - that is to say, it works, but in appearance it's been smashed.
LuvizBlind
Initiate

Post by LuvizBlind »

Hmm. Well then I must have to resign myself to walking everywhere as I have found that sign, and the obelisks, have travelled there and back twice since my post. I've clicked repeatedly, no luck. I appreciate your help though. I was hoping I had found the wrong sign or obelisks; instead I seem to have a bug of some sort. I'll tough out the walking though, because I've restarted enough and this guy is doing well.

I doubt it has anything to do with it, however, I did make a boo boo. I was exploring around Bordertown for the first time, had gotten some training, picked up a couple quests... but I was looking in one of the barrels around the back of a building, and a chest... it was dark, this guy's a rogue, ;). Anyway, I didn't get any messaging indicating I'd been seen or heard, so I grabbed a few things. Then, I saw someone coming after him from around the corner. Previously some thugs had chased me to town (actually I kinda led them there for some help) and after we were done killing them I felt it wasn't all of them. But thought maybe one had fled. So I really did think it was that bandit, and I fired off some of the good arrows I'd just gotten and killed him. Only I realized too late that I had killed the potion/alchemy guy. Which really sucked because I couldn't buy anything from there anymore and certainly needed to a few times. (Hence my travels to and from Aridell twice since) Note: I'd overwritten the quicksave I'd done upon arrival at Bordertown, so I had no recent save to go to; or else I'd have to walk all over kingdom come again. LOL

I hope he wasn't integral to any story line. I am already paying the price for it. I guess no one else in Bordertown saw or heard me, or noticed I'd killed him because they acted normally and even helped me a few more times killing off some thugs.

Thanks for trying to help, much appreciated.
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

What happens when you click in the automap panel when you're in the open, with no enemies near - and not in Crakamir, LuvizBlind?
LuvizBlind
Initiate

Post by LuvizBlind »

I get the Quick Travel menu but only Aridell is clickable. My character is in Central Tangletree at the moment; but I'm heading back towards Bordertown though, not sure he's ready for goblins. When I get back up there I'll try repeatedly clicking that sign for Bordertown again.
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

Well, if the Aridell Quicktravel Link is there, LuvizBlind, something's working right.
LuvizBlind
Initiate

Post by LuvizBlind »

Yay! I got the quick travel to Bordertown! ::jumps around like a goof::

Although I had to click on the darn thing 30 times quickly before it gave it to me and I had to be really up close and personal with the sign too. Heh.
LuvizBlind
Initiate

Post by LuvizBlind »

Poo. I've finally made it to Blackwater (yay!) But this time I can't even find a sign or obelisk to click on. So, I guess this would just be considered a minor complaint. Quicktravel in my opinion is a necessity for games like this where the walking speed is so very slow and you are often having to make numerous tries to accomplish things and have many maps (areas) to travel through to get to the various destinations. I've probably spent at least half of my time so far with this character walking to and from places I'd already been. Once you kill off the monsters in most of the areas, they don't regen, so you are in fact... just walking and accomplishing nothing. Point being, if you have quicktravel available, then the establishment of it should be very plain, very obvious, and you shouldn't have to try numerous times to get it to work. When I think of how many times I foot travelled from Aridell all the way north and then west to Bordertown and back again before I was able to get the 'sign' to work, its disheartening because I could have spent a lot more time accomplishing my goals instead of walking.

All that being said... I still think this is an awesome game. :)

Here's to hoping I find the way to establish quicktravel to Blackwater soon. Because if I have to walk all the way here again, I think I'll scream... LOL.
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

The Quick Travel obelisk is just outside the south eastern gate in Blackwater, LuvizBlind.
LuvizBlind
Initiate

Post by LuvizBlind »

I was just coming here to say I'd found it. Thanks again Acousticbop. :) I came in a different gate initially, and was still making raids into western tangletree to finish off the Barrea Merc. So I kept looking all around that gate and area leading to it for the sign or obelisk...

My biggest difficulty now will be getting some decent amounts of gold so I can pick up some training and upgrade my equipment. Gold seems to be a difficult thing for me to acquire and build up. I'm usually spending as I go for arrows and potions. I'd thought to invest in some alchemy training to help with that, but then I wasn't really finding enough ingredients and having to buy them. :shrugs: Seemed easier just to buy the potions.
inky
Pledge

Post by inky »

Isn't it the case that the obelisks only go live for quick travel if you touch them, rather than just see them? (ie, you have to be right next to them when you click). The description it prints is the same in either case, which is a little confusing, but I think this is right.
Dr. G
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Dr. G »

inky

Post subject: Re: Quick Travel? Reply with quote
Isn't it the case that the obelisks only go live for quick travel if you touch them, rather than just see them? (ie, you have to be right next to them when you click). The description it prints is the same in either case, which is a little confusing, but I think this is right.
Inky, being a Pledge, you are completely right, you have to be next to them (actually touch them) in order for them t be activated.... I supose everyone else knows this now....

LuvizBlind: There is another problem with the fact that you killed the Alchemist in Bordertown, Besides being a vendor of reagents and rectants he was also an alchemy teacher..... so you could pay him to get levels in alchemy, up to level 5.... :(

Neer mind, there is still the other option... get the Brewmasters ring (Alchemy +3) if you get two, alchemy +6, this will help you out, and I have to disgree with you regarding alchemy and its uses.... Buying a potion at the begging may cost almost the same as buying the reagents you need to create it, but potions come in levels up to level III so for example Level I helas 30 points, level II Heals 50 or so, and level III goes up to 80 or so (Im nos so sure about it) but the prices are extremely diferent a level I is pretty cheap, but level II is more expensive, and level III is very expensive, on the other hand crafting these potions always takes the same amount of reagent, so if you are a skilled alchemist (level 15 +) you can craft all III level potions, and the potions will always be much more expensive than the reagents (I some times craft potions for money, just for selling them).

So try to improve your alchemy, anoter sugestion I can give you if you are running out of money, sell all your potions, if you have some Divination and Elemental Magic, you have most of the potions in the spell form, includes healing.

That way you can save up some money, for the other option, most quests give you some money back, and the side quests are pretty easy to do...