character creation help

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
zanthia
Pledge

character creation help

Post by zanthia »

I am a big rpg fan and I love turn based games. I am really looking forward to playing this game. However I wish there was a good walkthrough for this game including character creation.

Can anyone give me any tips or advice on creating characters. I typically like to play either a fighter who uses some type of supplementary magic ( attack or healing) or a battle cleric type character. What skills are important to start with and which ones are ones that aren't worthwhile at all. What about stats. During the course of the game what skill are important to take and and which ones are not worth wasting valuable points on. . What is important in this game. I enjoy the process of character creation and do not mind rolling for that great roll. What type of roll should I aim for here. So far the best roll I have got has been 90 not counting the 15 points What about the backgrounds. Are some better than others. For example how much of the game is played in dungeons if one was to take the druidic or how easily can once get cursed and can you cure that yourself if you take virtuous. these are the type of thngs more experienced players know and newbies don't that I like to know when creating a character.

I only play a game once and I hate the idea of having to start over a game after playing a few levels due to creating a bad character. I will play for around 1 level or a couple of hours just to get a feel for the game but that is it for my replaying. My game philiosophy is to do every and see everything on one play through or as much as you can and pick a character that allows you to do that. So I am hoping those more experienced in the
game can give me some helpful advice.

thanks in advance
zanthia
Pledge

Re: character creation help

Post by zanthia »

Can't anyone help? I really would like to play this game without finding out I have played 5 or 6 levels and see that I have totally messed up my character. The search engine doesn't work so I can't see if this info is here on the board.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Zanthia,

It's pretty hard to mess up so completely that you'd find it to have been a waste. Personally, I like using bows, as there are fewer enemies who use ranged attacks against you, giving you an advantage in many situations. Pick your preferred type of hand weapon. If you like a cleric/fighter, learn some Divination. There are usually two or three ways to do anything you need to do in the game, so just relax and have fun.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

The search engine should work now (I rebuilt the keyword index today).

You can also start a game and press F1 through F5 at the character creation screen to start with a pre-made character. These are all builds that I have personally played with. While they might now be perfect for everyone's play style, you can get a feel for them and see what you like.

Everyone seems to have a different opinion on character build paths, but my advice is to focus on offensive and defensive skills for the first few levels. Non-combative skills can be developed after level 3 or 4, when you've made a base character that can survive the first few map areas.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Dr. G
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Dr. G »

Dear Zanthia:

I am pretty new in the game (Only finished it twice) but since you got no answers here are some tips...

There are specifical and general skills, i.e. weapons such as bows, or swrods, that depend on the type of character you want to build, and there are general skills sucha as cartography or alchemy, maybe lock picking as well.

My sugestion to you is the following, if you want to build a Cleric Fighter character, try going for a Druidic (this way you get the bow skill for free, adn have good regeneration abilities) don't learn the lore skill as you will be able to find a lore spell which very efective. there are a number of learnable skills up to level 5 but you have to pay for them, and they are pretty expensive... 100 gold per level, so level 5 is 500 gold. Sugestion fight a lot, sell a lot.

These learnable skills are:
Bow: Bordertown
Alchemy: Bordertown
Cartography: Aridell after you finish one specifi quest.
Divination: Blackwater
Sword/thrown/bludgeoning/cleaving: blackwater

So you might want to invest your first skill potins on other skills (I found mercantile pretty useful to getting money) and also lockpicking (there is a spell Lockmelt, but I have not had much succes as with a lockpick and my lockpicking gloves, plus at each try you fail, you waste mana), and once you have learned all the levels on these skills you can go for improving them with experience.

ALso ther are some books that will give you two levels on one skill (according to which book you find) or will teach you the skill (a better option cause learning a new skill byyourself costs 3 points, and the book only gives you two levels on the skill...)

So I hope these are som pointers, If I can think of others I'll let you know.

Enjoy the game.
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

For Lore, there are also Loremaster's Rings (+6 Lore). One of these will allow you to identify pretty much anything; two absolutely anything at all, with no Lore skill.
zanthia
Pledge

Post by zanthia »

Thanks ,

can you tell me if this sounds good for a starting character? I f not are the stats too low or not distributed properly? PLease advise.

druidic healer

str 14
dex 12
end 14
spd 12
int 13
wis 16
per 17
con 10

skills
divination 5
heavy armor 2
swords 4
mercantile 4
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

zanthia wrote:Thanks ,

can you tell me if this sounds good for a starting character? I f not are the stats too low or not distributed properly? PLease advise.

druidic healer

str 14
dex 12
end 14
spd 12
int 13
wis 16
per 17
con 10

skills
divination 5
heavy armor 2
swords 4
mercantile 4
Personally, I'd go for light armor skill. There are more of those with magic assists in the game than heavy. Not to mention you have to (I think) have strength at a reasonable number to carry iit and your equipment around.

I'd also only put 1 in swords because you can buy training and save book that raises armor skill till you have 5 points in it, read book and instant level 7 skill. (which is good for any skill book you find..unless it is a skill you don't have at all and want. Cheaper to read the book than spend the 3 points as was pointed out by another poster.

I think I'd put a point into 'Spot Hidden'. There is something in the early part of the game you might spot that will help out in the 'need money' dept. :D
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Dr. G
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Dr. G »

Dear Znathia:

I agree with the sugestions of dragonlady. Spot hidden can not be learned easily and can help you a lot in finding "good stuff". There is a book that can help yupu get the skill, but you will find it later in the game, and miss some oportunities at the beggining

Regards
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

And Spot Hidden also helps in the "DON'T STEP THERE!!!!" department.
---

Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:And Spot Hidden also helps in the "DON'T STEP THERE!!!!" department.

Hee hee! :lol: Yep, it sure does!
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
zanthia
Pledge

Post by zanthia »

thanks. spot hidden sounds like something good to take. I probably would nothave taken that. I haven't had a chance to play so this weekend I am going to roll my character and then start playing after the holiday weekend.

I do plan on having a high strength plus i never choose light armor. that to me is a thief armor or a mage armor. not a cleric or a fighter armor. I may take both in some games if allowed to but if only one it is always heavy as that goes with the character. I see STR, END and PER as the 3 most important stats for a fighter/healer hybrid character. I want to fight and cast equally well. the casting here will be my ranged fighting assuming healer here does have some good attack spells. I haven't checked their entire spell list.

Can a level 1 character do the cartography quest. I am one of those who believe that automap should be automatic so I really don't like the idea of having to waste points on something that should be standard.
CobraEye
Apprentice

Post by CobraEye »

zanthia wrote:Can a level 1 character do the cartography quest. I am one of those who believe that automap should be automatic so I really don't like the idea of having to waste points on something that should be standard.
Sorry to be off topic here, not to mention appear totally clueless, but I guess I have missed the "cartography quest." (D'oh!) Where should I look to start that?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

CobraEye wrote:
zanthia wrote:Can a level 1 character do the cartography quest. I am one of those who believe that automap should be automatic so I really don't like the idea of having to waste points on something that should be standard.
Sorry to be off topic here, not to mention appear totally clueless, but I guess I have missed the "cartography quest." (D'oh!) Where should I look to start that?
In Aridell, ask the bartender about the drunk in the corner. Follow the "nice guy" path from there.
---

CobraEye
Apprentice

Post by CobraEye »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote: In Aridell, ask the bartender about the drunk in the corner. Follow the "nice guy" path from there.
Thanks. I have the paper bag over my head for penance.