Book II Questions Thread

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: Book II Questions Thread

Post by IJBall »

Hey, BW,

Any chance we all could get a more comprehensive (October) game development update?

I know you're currently working on refining the combat engine, in regards to 'feats'. But I'm wondering how other aspects are the game development are coming. For example:

- Are all of the Book II maps (including dungeons) finished?

- Have all of the planned-for quests been placed in the game?

- Is the game music finished?

I think many of us would just like to know how things are coming along. Just, when you get the chance (I know you're busy!!). Thanks! :)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

IJBall wrote:Any chance we all could get a more comprehensive (October) game development update?
Definitely! I'll give everyone a big status update at the end of October. We have an important internal testing session scheduled for October 24-30. I have just approved the artwork for the DVD case, so we have that to show you (it looks friggin' cool!). We continue to grab video clips that will end up in the trailer, which I really think should be ready in November. We also want to give some T-shirts away as part of our holiday festivities this year.

So yeah, lots of things in the works and we'll let you know exactly where we stand with the game itself at the end of October!
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
TNoyce
Apprentice

Post by TNoyce »

I can hardly wait...
Tim Noyce
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Post by dare49devil »

-Would I be a nerd to wear such a shirt at a preppy alcohol-based college?
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Awesome, looking forward to seeing the DVD cover!

I dont recall if this was already answered.....Any chance there would be a map included in the box? I realize this is probably an added cost that might not be worth it, but I love those....

I think Im going to get me a shirt and or a mug soon.

I gotta get me a shirt so many years from now when I look back at fond memories of playing your games Im not sorry I didnt get a shirt like I did with the Ultima games! I still have the Ultima games with catalogs of shirts and stuff...Man I wish I had some of that to add to my collection of games!
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

dare49devil wrote:-Would I be a nerd to wear such a shirt at a preppy alcohol-based college?
What sort of college can you get from an alcohol base?
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Loveletter
Pledge

Post by Loveletter »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:As for Steam, we would love to have them distribute Book II, but it is up to them to offer to do so. Just because they took Book I (more than a year after we released it) doesn't mean they'll accept Book II onto their service.
From this i assume it wasn't you that set unfair (40% higher) price for euro people? :(
mkreku
Apprentice

Post by mkreku »

Yeah, being from Sweden I really don't like Steam at all.

I was going to buy Borderlands the other day and thought it would be cool to get it from Steam. Turned out that the game cost 49.95€ ($74) on there! Talked to one of my American friends and he could get it for $49.95. Apparently in Steam's bizarro-world, 1€ = $1.

It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't possible for me to buy the retail version (you know.. with CD, printed manual and a game box) for less than 36€ ($53) from a local web-store. That's with p&p included..

So yeah, I vote no to Steam.
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Post by dare49devil »

-I guess Steam just rocks for Americans.. =/ =]
Sslaxx
Council Member

Post by Sslaxx »

Quite likely. Can't say I have any inclination to use Steam in any case. Much prefer owning physical media, myself.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Hey, BW! - Will there be 'spell books' in Book II?!

IIRC, in Book I spell learning was 100% achieved by scroll reading (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that...).

But I've been playing Avernum 6's demo lately, and they have a spell book in there, and the possibility of being able to learn more than one spell at a time by being able to read a spell book (provided, of course, your character has high enough INT/WIS and/or Arcane/Elemental magic skill) would be an intriguing addition to Eschalon... :)
AstralWanderer
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by AstralWanderer »

BW, would you care to say how much time (as a percentage) is being spent on programming and how much on world development? (i.e. plot, NPCs, dialogues, area design). As someone who felt Book 1 was rather too short, I would be interested to know if the work balance is changing, given that there is a previous game base to build upon.
CrazyBernie wrote:You might want to consider Stardock's Impulse service. They have a very "lite" DRM, although it's not required. Heck, none of Stardock Entertainment's games even use it.
I don't wish to go OT here, but Impulse most certainly isn't DRM-lite. Aside from requiring online activation on install (though with the ability to save the keyfile for future installs on the same machine), some games there do include extra DRM.

GOG is the only service I know of offering DRM-free downloads (coincidentally with a discount on the classic RPG series Realms of Arkania this weekend) but they are limited to older games.
CrazyBernie wrote:The games that do use it are just linked to your account via email/key, and you can install the games on multiple systems, and even "de-activate" the game so that you can sell it.
Well, you can sell your game but Stardock will charge a fee to "re-register" it.

The biggest downside to systems like Steam and Impulse however is the likelihood of an annual (or even monthly) fee being imposed to keep accounts open (discussed in more depth here).
Grindstone_82
Apprentice

Post by Grindstone_82 »

A few random noob questions :) ,

Could you elaborate on why you decided to cut out crossbows in Book II? I'm asking because I've always been a fan of those. I know the "realistic" reload times would be tedious, but IMO that's not relevant. It should simply be like a bow that does more damage, but gets fractured faster (since you have wear 'n' tear in Book II), maybe it should also be harder to repair. After all, with only one action per round and one character, fighting can seem pretty slow to you anyways >)

Also, is there the possibility that you will allow for a party of two characters in Book III? That would greatly enhance character creation even more. Imagine the possibilities; like an uber-char and a useless mule with all the support skills, or a pure fighter and a pure mage; and could a Virtuous Paladin and a Nefarious Rogue even work together at all? Just a thought (wish).

One final question about replay value; in Book I, it seems anyone can do anything. Thieves pick locks, mages unlock them via spells, fighters just smash them. There wasn't a single chest in the game IIRC my fighter couldn't smash. There wasn't a single trap he couldn't just walk through. I'm guessing from the interviews you've given that Book II will play out a little differently though.

edit: nm my last concern, after reading up on a lot of the info here I can safely say Book II will deliver on replay value EPICALLY. Ty. :D
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Several new questions added to the Official Q&A. Tried to get caught up a bit! :wink:
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Grindstone_82
Apprentice

Post by Grindstone_82 »

Glad to hear there are party-based games coming up :D