Book II Questions Thread

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
dak
Marshall

Re: Book II Questions Thread

Post by dak »

hmm, same character... it is possible to be female........ ummmmm, gender changing potion or magic spell ??? maybe it would be better to choose a new char. if it would be possible to be female?? I don't see it being a big deal since all the chars/story from the first game would be gone anyhow.....
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

I think that if you pick a female character for Book II that we're supposed to retroactively assume the Book I character was female... But I'm just repeating what I've read from memory.

Anyway the plot at least assumes your character is the same between the books, whether or not your own choice of "backstory" takes that into account is totally up to you.
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

Ok, I didn't read all the way thru all the questions in this thread. Have hit it here and there as it has been complied, so don't shoot me if this has been asked before. :oops: :?: :oops: :?:

However, as we were able to imbue items in Book 1, but were not able to imbue with abilities I am wondering if that is something that would be/has been added to Book 2. What I mean is you can find items with +2 to move silent, +2 to pick locks....etc, but we couldn't create those stat/skill modifiers when imbuing. I think this would be a great addition and give a person more thought in how they imbued their items.
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Necromis wrote:However, as we were able to imbue items in Book 1, but were not able to imbue with abilities I am wondering if that is something that would be/has been added to Book 2. What I mean is you can find items with +2 to move silent, +2 to pick locks....etc, but we couldn't create those stat/skill modifiers when imbuing. I think this would be a great addition and give a person more thought in how they imbued their items.
AFAIK, that topic hasn't come up before, so - good question!

I too would like to see that, though I think it gets a little tricky for coming up with a *mechanism* to achieve that, at least via Alchemy.

OTOH, I would think that new spells could easily be created that could do things like add bonuses to Move Silently or Hide in Shadows (Pick Locks & Disarm Traps already had spells covering them even in Book I) in the same way that Bless adds ToHit/Damage bonuses. (Well, I guess Chameleon and Hide in Shadows are quasi-related...)

(And, incidentally, I *highly* recommend Bless, esp. Level 6 Bless, for anyone that can get their hands on it! :mrgreen: )
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

You could add a skill that allows your character to craft wondrous items or magic weapons/armor. You would have to find or buy all the necessary components. Your skill level would have to high enough to craft certain items. If you attempt and fail, all the components are used up. If you succeed you craft the item you wanted. The percentage chance of success would be based on your skill level and a random factor to represent the chance of failure. The percentage would then be compared to the difficulty in crafting the item. Just a thought.
History is written by the winners!
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Post by dare49devil »

-Or...Take for example a Act I quest in Diablo.

-They had you do a quest (in this case it was to go find this special hammer and bring it back).

-When you brought it back the npc, as a reward, would 'imbue' an item you give her which would grant it random stats. That was the Diablo version.

-Perhaps here it would be...'blahblahblah storyline talking blah blah blah would you like your helm, chest, or feet enchanted? imbued whatever'

-Your options to answer...something like:

'not at this time'
'helm of course'
'chest plz'
'feet duh'

-If you pick feet it would be +1 Move silently.
-Chest could be like +1 light or heavy armor.
-And Helm would be..whatever.

Get the idea? =P
MaximB
Senior Steward

Post by MaximB »

I see that the questions answered thread hasn't been updated for a long time...
But I will post my question in hopes that someone will answer it...

In Book 1 the quests were very liner and often had only one solution, will it change with Book 2 ?
Are you going to make several solutions to each quest with consequences to your choices ?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

New answer added to the Official Book II Q&A thread.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Good response Thomas.

I think the C&C buzz words are way overused now. I think in certain situations its nice to have some various ways to finish a quest and it sounds like you have found the right balance. When I think about some of my favorite RPG's back in the old days the quests almost always only had one way to finish them.

I think you hit the nail on the head by focusing on exploration and stats, that's where its at for me at least. A challenging quest that really makes you work hard for it is what makes it fun in my opinion. That and an interesting back story helps too.
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

What about the Intro? Will it be like in Book 1 or some radical changes here?
"FUL IR"
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Gothmog wrote:What about the Intro? Will it be like in Book 1 or some radical changes here?
I think BW answered that question awhile back, somewhere in this Book II forum...

I don't remember the details, but I believe BW said that the Book II opening will be different (no more trees!), and possibly more intricate(?) than Book I's opening.

If you do a search of the Book II forum, I imagine you might be able to find the post in question...
stelegrey
Initiate

Post by stelegrey »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:As for Steam, we would love to have them distribute Book II, but it is up to them to offer to do so. Just because they took Book I (more than a year after we released it) doesn't mean they'll accept Book II onto their service.
Is there anything we as fans can do to push the people at steam in the right direction?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

stelegrey wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:As for Steam, we would love to have them distribute Book II, but it is up to them to offer to do so. Just because they took Book I (more than a year after we released it) doesn't mean they'll accept Book II onto their service.
Is there anything we as fans can do to push the people at steam in the right direction?
Certainly! Bombard them with emails. Make sure they know how many people are anticipating this game.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

You might want to consider Stardock's Impulse service. They have a very "lite" DRM, although it's not required. Heck, none of Stardock Entertainment's games even use it. The games that do use it are just linked to your account via email/key, and you can install the games on multiple systems, and even "de-activate" the game so that you can sell it.
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

Yeah....the guys at Stardock rocks! Love GCII :mrgreen:
"FUL IR"