Alternate languages for Book II

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Alternate languages for Book II

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

This topic has come up in the past, so I wanted to share a screenshot with our friends from other countries:
b2_russian.jpg
b2_russian.jpg (265.36 KiB) Viewed 6114 times
Yes, it is Book II in Russian (translation was done via Babelfish just for testing purposes- I'm sure it would make very little sense to anyone who can read it). The problem for us has always been to get our engine to read files containing non-English characters, which we accomplished this weekend.

The only other small problem we have is translating the button text- right now "OK", "No", "Exit" and other button labels are hard-coded to the engine, as well as many of the system messages. We still need to come up with a simple way to translate that text as well.

Again, for anyone who is interested- we will not begin translations until after Book II is finished due to potential last-minute text changes, so if you want to help with the translation packs don't bother asking for any game text now.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Re: Alternate languages for Book II

Post by AK_Marty »

So you start in a house with two chests and a well outside? Any more teasers for your rabid fans BW?
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

AK_Marty wrote:So you start in a house with two chests and a well outside? Any more teasers for your rabid fans BW?
Sure, if you can read Russian. :wink:
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
AK_Marty wrote:So you start in a house with two chests and a well outside? Any more teasers for your rabid fans BW?
Sure, if you can read Russian. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Still the pic is nice and can possibly be somewhere in the world of book 2..yes, no, yes??? :mrgreen:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

Hmm... The trees appear to be taller...
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Unclever title wrote:Hmm... The trees appear to be taller...
Actually, this screenshot is little different from one of the first three screenshots originally displayed on the Book II page.
(I'd link to it, but BW took the original 3 screenshots for Book II down, and I don't know if they can be found anywhere else!!... Oops! Found it - here: just click on the picture on the right-hand side!)

I'm nearly certain that the trees look the same as in the original screenshot.

The only difference is that house displayed does now have 2 chests in it, where originally I think it only had one (checking... nope, the original had no chests).

And, yes - I suspect this screen & house are the starting location at the beginning of Book II. :wink:
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

IJBall wrote:Actually, this screenshot is little different from one of the first three screenshots originally displayed on the Book II page.
(I'd link to it, but BW took the original 3 screenshots for Book II down, and I don't know if they can be found anywhere else!!... Oops! Found it - here: just click on the picture on the right-hand side!)

I'm nearly certain that the trees look the same as in the original screenshot.
Actually... I meant that in reference to the trees in Book I but I did say that rather vaguely and my very clear and impressive "textual intonation" seems to get lost somewhere around the tubes. :mrgreen: (Note the sarcasm in case it took the wrong turn at Albuquerque.)

Of course I know it's been said that we don't return to Thaermore in Book II however didn't the good ending say something about
SPOILER wrote:settling down in Northern Tangletree? Or was that North of Tangletree?
So I'm just basically trying to get an idea of where in the greater world of Eschalon we appear to start, and it appears to be in a fairly old forest judging by the tree size in the screenshot.

I don't speak Russian but I'll throw in my vote for it being in the beginning of the game, of course if it isn't then I'm kinda intrigued in the "It is early morning, quiet and peaceful..." line there at the bottom because that would probably mean a new dynamic with sleeping overnight. Either way I'm pretty sure it's a sign that that it won't be too peaceful for much longer...
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Unclever title wrote:Of course I know it's been said that we don't return to Thaermore in Book II however didn't the good ending say something about
SPOILER wrote:settling down in Northern Tangletree? Or was that North of Tangletree?
So I'm just basically trying to get an idea of where in the greater world of Eschalon we appear to start, and it appears to be in a fairly old forest judging by the tree size in the screenshot.
I don't remember with perfect clarity, but I believe all the endings of Book I imply that you settle in Mistfall, just over the border from Thaermore.
Jedi_Learner wrote:You should visit my signature sometime. :P
Cool! Noted!
(Dunno why, but it's really easy to overlook what people put in their sig's! ;) )
RezoApio
Marshall

Post by RezoApio »

Cool... I suppose that means accentuated character for French will be a piece of cake ;-)
Gardez suffisament d'humour pour ne pas perdre l'esprit au nom de la raison.
Ama la realidad que construyes y ni aun la muerte detendra tu paso.
ASDu
Pledge

Post by ASDu »

If Russian version will be with such translation, I'll play eng version :)
Was this translated with promt?! :mrgreen:

p.s. i think my english not better than yours Russian, but this translation is reaaly ugly =P

Up there written(ofcourse this with my terrible english =) ): You live in Mistfell in Theramore. Your paranoia prevents you sleeping. Last night you slept better than other monthes and now you are hungry, you get up to find something to bite. This day will be really boring... =)
Если вы понимаете, что здесь написано - то можете обращаться ко мне по-русски :)
The Noid
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by The Noid »

Yep, the fun of automatic translators :D

I'm pretty sure your English IS better than his Russian. I highly doubt he speaks any Russian at all :)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

ASDu wrote:Up there written(ofcourse this with my terrible english =) ): You live in Mistfell in Theramore. Your paranoia prevents you sleeping. Last night you slept better than other monthes and now you are hungry, you get up to find something to bite. This day will be really boring... =)
:lol: That is about what I expected! Yes, I just dumped the text into Babelfish and selected "English to Russian" just so I could get some Russian characters. The problem with Babelfish is that translation tends to be exceptionally literal.

The actual translation of Book II will be done by humans, not by Babelfish and certainly not myself! :D