Torchlight: Like FATE mixed with Mythos...

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
getter77
Senior Steward

Torchlight: Like FATE mixed with Mythos...

Post by getter77 »

and with a crazy powerful and intuitive looking Editor as showcased in part by this video! Crispest HD youtube video I've ever seen to boot.

http://www.torchlightgame.com/developer ... rt-1-of-3/

From what I can track down onsite and otherwise, you can muck about with just about everything from rules to assets---even entirely new classes and such.
http://www.roguetemple.com/forums/index.php?topic=395.0 What I'm trying to accomplish in life.
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Re: Torchlight: Like FATE mixed with Mythos...

Post by llew silverhand »

I've been keeping an eye on this game myself - will be picking it up when it comes out.
Llew Silverhand - Once and Future Gnome King
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

GUI Style Scripting = Teh CoOlness. :mrgreen:
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Is this going to be Windows-only? I don't see anything about system requirements at the website...
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Actually, in order to play this game, you will not onle need a Windows machine, but you will need to burn, crush, or otherwise incapacitate any non-Windows computers within a ten mile radius.

:shock: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Here's your roundabout answer

Damn alternative OS users... always so demanding. 0_o

/sillyness
bsbsbsbsbsbsbs7
Pledge

Post by bsbsbsbsbsbsbs7 »

And you, CrazyBernie, are indeed a crazy Windoze user, and a slave to their greedy corporation. May you rot in hell!!!
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Nice. I love it when people have to create an account just to take a jab at the guy who has nothing against Microsoft. That's right, I use Microsoft applications, and they work for me.
bsbsbsbsbsbsbs7 wrote:a crazy Windoze user,
How very mature. I bet you use a $ in your spellings of Microsoft too. Good ol' M$... :roll:
bsbsbsbsbsbsbs7 wrote:and a slave to their greedy corporation.
That usually implies that a person is bound to pay them for their software. I don't pay for Microsoft software, courtesy of a lifetime MSDN subscription (Thanks Dad!). They're so damn greedy, that they give me their software free of charge! What a bunch of jerks! :mrgreen:

Also, I currently own three iBooks - two G3's and a G4. Shame on me for diversifying! Bad Bernie, Bad! Anyone want to buy an iBook?? :wink:
bsbsbsbsbsbsbs7 wrote:May you rot in hell!!!
Sweet, I make a remark that's clearly meant in jest, and someone asks me to rot in hell for it! Great Success! :lol:

Welcome to the forums, little troll!
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Actually, after that one, I'm already hooked on bsbsbsbsbsbs7.

Please, post again?

(Actually, I'm happy for anybody who's rabidly pro-Apple. We need 'em. We Mac users are so lonely, so lonely... .)
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

This looks really amazing. It's a beautiful game.

My only "concern" for the developers would be that they made a direct Diablo 3 clone that is going to be on the market at the same time as Diablo 3. I mean, even the cartoony world objects and GUI look like they came from Diablo 3's concept art. It's going to have to be really compelling for it to be noticed amidst the D3 hype.

So yeah, if there is a really compelling storyline and not just level after level of exploding monsters, then I'll really enjoy this game.
bsbsbsbsbsbsbs7 wrote:And you, CrazyBernie, are indeed a crazy Windoze user, and a slave to their greedy corporation. May you rot in hell!!!
<sigh> Slayer? Andiar? No, wait...he was pro-Windows. This guy is pro...uh, you know, he never said. He didn't mention Mac, and with that attitude he may just be a Linux fan. Either way he is definitely pro-hell...

{edit} ...and banned.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Grue
Steward

Post by Grue »

Ooh, that looks pretty good, even though the art style is a tad too cartoony for my taste. Never the less, the style is consistent and very well made, plus the animations are very good. So no problems really. A "point and click" editor is a BIG bonus. Will definitely keep my eye on this. Thanks for the tip, getter77.
CrazyBernie wrote:little troll!
Those would've been called trollkin in the good ol' Glorantha/RQ. ;)
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
getter77
Senior Steward

Post by getter77 »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:This looks really amazing. It's a beautiful game.

My only "concern" for the developers would be that they made a direct Diablo 3 clone that is going to be on the market at the same time as Diablo 3. I mean, even the cartoony world objects and GUI look like they came from Diablo 3's concept art. It's going to have to be really compelling for it to be noticed amidst the D3 hype.

So yeah, if there is a really compelling storyline and not just level after level of exploding monsters, then I'll really enjoy this game.
bsbsbsbsbsbsbs7 wrote:And you, CrazyBernie, are indeed a crazy Windoze user, and a slave to their greedy corporation. May you rot in hell!!!
<sigh> Slayer? Andiar? No, wait...he was pro-Windows. This guy is pro...uh, you know, he never said. He didn't mention Mac, and with that attitude he may just be a Linux fan. Either way he is definitely pro-hell...

{edit} ...and banned.
In terms of Diablo 3...how do ya reckon? This game looks to be due out within another 2-3ish months I gather whereas Diablo 3 will, I'm guessing, not hit until late 2010. They do have a free MMO extension of the universe they are aiming to come out with 18 months after release of this single player game...but I'd reckon that to butt heads moreso with the likes of the new DDO or some such moreso than others. Considering how frontloaded sales tend to be at times, that should work out to be plenty of a buffer as well as possibly satiate folk while the long wait for D3 continues. Plus this editor looks to be quite a trump card they've to play as I'm not aware of D3 or any other similar styled games having one quite like this aside from Starcraft's which is intentioned differently. Wrap all that up that the price of this is expected to fall somewhere between $20-$30 and it seems like a good number of stars aligning.
http://www.roguetemple.com/forums/index.php?topic=395.0 What I'm trying to accomplish in life.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

getter77 wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:In terms of Diablo 3...how do ya reckon? This game looks to be due out within another 2-3ish months I gather whereas Diablo 3 will, I'm guessing, not hit until late 2010. They do have a free MMO extension of the universe they are aiming to come out with 18 months after release of this single player game...but I'd reckon that to butt heads moreso with the likes of the new DDO or some such moreso than others. Considering how frontloaded sales tend to be at times, that should work out to be plenty of a buffer as well as possibly satiate folk while the long wait for D3 continues. Plus this editor looks to be quite a trump card they've to play as I'm not aware of D3 or any other similar styled games having one quite like this aside from Starcraft's which is intentioned differently. Wrap all that up that the price of this is expected to fall somewhere between $20-$30 and it seems like a good number of stars aligning.
I would be astonished (in good way!) if this game were out in 2-3 months. According to their website they have been in business for 1 year as of Aug 11, 2009. I mean, knowing what I know about game development, if they pull off a full action RPG in 15-16 months dev time that would be amazing. So, if in fact Torchlight is closer to 6-9 months from release it could put it in line with D3's release. This is all just speculation and guesswork, of course.

Either way, it looks damn fun. I will buy it regardless of when it comes out in relation to Diablo 3's release. My comment was simply that a game that looks very similar to D3 coming out in the same release window might be tough on them, as both reviewers and gamers are likely to directly compare the two. If they can beat D3 in the gameplay department, then that could be a good thing. But then, we are talking about Blizzard.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:But then, we are talking about Blizzard.
Which is quickly becoming a non-issue, it seems. The combination with Activision is starting to put serious hurt in Blizzard's ability to craft guaranteed hits. Half-assed expansions for WoW that ask for a rediculous amount of money on top of your monthly payment, paid character transfers, paid faction transfers, splitting their upcoming crown jewel RTS into three seperate pay titiles, removing basic LAN support from said RTS; they're losing focus big time.
getter77
Senior Steward

Post by getter77 »

They've apparently got the magic Basilisk! Just saw Torchlight is coming out Oct 27ish for $20!

Yet I don't know if I'll have any money left to afford it. :cry:
azraelck
Senior Steward

Post by azraelck »

Looks interesting, more for the seeming ease with which a person can modify the game to their own tastes. I might need a second job, given the number of titles I want to pick up. Then again, I don't have time to play what I already own.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity. - Edgar Allan Poe