Din's Curse Public Demo

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Din's Curse Public Demo

Post by King_ov_Death »

I found out via BW's twits that Soldak has released a public demo of Din's Curse, available at Windows and Mac.

You can get it here.

I tried it and it's pretty nice!
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: Din's Curse Public Demo

Post by Rune_74 »

I already payed for the game, 20 bucks and you can play the beta....not bad eh? Good game.
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

Rune_74 wrote:I already payed for the game, 20 bucks and you can play the beta....not bad eh? Good game.
I can't get this one clear. Let me know if I am right with what I'll say here: You paid $20, they sent you a beta version of the game which is the one you're playing now. When the full game is released, you'll get the retail game.
Am I right?

Also, congratulations! If you are wondering why, your last post promoted you to Platinum Officer!
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

King_ov_Death wrote:
Rune_74 wrote:I already payed for the game, 20 bucks and you can play the beta....not bad eh? Good game.
I can't get this one clear. Let me know if I am right with what I'll say here: You paid $20, they sent you a beta version of the game which is the one you're playing now. When the full game is released, you'll get the retail game.
Am I right?

Also, congratulations! If you are wondering why, your last post promoted you to Platinum Officer!
That is what I did to pass the time while I was waiting for Beta Testing Book 2, here. Stopped playing Din's Curse for the time being. :D

Oh, and let me add to the congrats on reaching Platinum Officer! :D
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

Hehaha, yeah I finally got that...I don't post as much as I should:)

There are things in the works that may change that, at least I hope!

And yes, I payed 20 for the game and access to the beta. Awesome deal.
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Post by llew silverhand »

I've downloaded the demo, as well as redownloaded the demo for Kivi's Underworld. I picked up Depths of Peril some time ago.

Thanks for the heads up on this - I'd forgotten about it :)
Llew Silverhand - Once and Future Gnome King
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Post by llew silverhand »

I have to say, I tried out Din's Curse last night, and enjoyed it quite a lot. I also gave Kivi's Underworld another go, and found it more enjoyable my second time around. :D
Llew Silverhand - Once and Future Gnome King
mytgroo
Steward

Post by mytgroo »

I thought it had a lot of bugs and eventually let it go. There were points where I was stuck with no way out but to wander until a monster dropped a key or I started an extra account to feed potions and other stuff to my main character. It was fun, but still needs a lot more work than $20 justifies. Needs more polish.
I am Myt where's the cheese dip.
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

Hmmmm I never saw all that. I have yet to have a character not be able to level up all the way or get stuck even.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Full release of Din's Curse now out. Demo available as well as whole game when you buy it. Both PC and Mac versions. I stopped working on the beta when BW made the call for his game. :) I may be listed as tester, haven't checked the download I made yet. First things first. I'm listed there as "Amberjoy". :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

I don't know... there're some things I like about Din's Curse, but in general: I don't like dungeon crawls. I think Diablo II spent every last bit of interest I had in these kinds of games, oh, well.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

My problem is, if I have time to play another Action RPG, then I have enough time to go back and finish Dungeon Siege II... 0_o
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Despite my previous comment, I downloaded and tried the demo out. I find the interface to be a bit... noisy, for my tastes. Everything is too... big... it gives the impression of consolitis ("Consolitis," for those who are wondering, is usually when a game is ported from Console to PC and has the big, chunky interface designed to be seen from a distance on a TV). There's no UI scaling when the resolution is increased, which has both good and bad points.

The "Diablo Gameplay Meets WoW Interface" just rubs me the wrong way (I've played and enjoyed both), and the game isn't immediately immersive (say that three times fast...). It's like they tried to do too much all at once... which I think willl turn a lot of prospective buyers away.

There's also some minor bugs, such as the Help Popups not properly going away (it seems like they're stacking on top of each other or something), and the inability to alt-tab properly (Windows version, obviously).

If it had an actual scripted tutorial or more gradual interface introduction, and a UI scaling option, I think it'd be much more appealing to people trying it out for the first time. I have a feeling that I could grow to like it if I kept at it, but I guess I don't have as much patience for that sort of thing anymore.