Game freezes at entrance to Western Tanglewood

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
thesilentarmy
Pledge

Game freezes at entrance to Western Tanglewood

Post by thesilentarmy »

I'm on the way to Blackwater after exterminating all the hive drones, but when I get to this map the game freezes. The character graphic doesn't show up on the screen, I can access all the menus and stuff, but I can't move around because there is no character graphic here to move around in the first place. I've reloaded the game and tried the map out many, many times trying to get past it. I even saved there, opened up the save, and it was still frozen. I'm not running any patches but according to some other sources I don't need to. I'm on Vista Home Premium.

I'm thinking that maybe if I can't get past it, someone can edit my savefile for me so that I can... I already did a search on this and it seems no one has ran into it before.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Game freezes at entrance to Western Tanglewood

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Look carefully, as you may have accidentally crossed in a place where you're stuck in the trees. Can you quick travel out of the screen?
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
thesilentarmy
Pledge

Post by thesilentarmy »

If I am stuck between the trees, then it doesn't help me because I can't move unstuck. I can access the quick travel, but it says that enemies are present, so it won't work. Even so, quick traveling off the map wouldn't help me because the only place I have left to progress is the way. I tried going North and then West, towards Vela (I think that's what it's called), but the raptors there are too strong for me.

Ah well...

To be honest, I wasn't very pleased with my character build anyway.

I would have liked to see what other stuff there was though.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

There is also a southern passage through, though the acid grubs and bees and things that direction can be difficult. Have you tried stepping through at all possible spots along the border between the two maps? If that doesn't help, it's possible there's a problem with that one particular map and you may need to replace it. Some of the more technically minded around here would know the exact procedure and be happy to share it with you, as soon as they get free from their time on Book II. ;) I'm being helpful because, as a Mac user, I have a couple weeks to wait.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.