couple beginner questions

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Sajen
Apprentice

couple beginner questions

Post by Sajen »

How do I make those explosive barrels explode?

Also, is it necessary to get the lockpicking skill for some treasure chests? Because on some of the chests I don't seem to be able to bash them open, my attacks show damage being done but the "hitpoints" of the chest remain the same and don't decrease.

And some general information. Is there a max level? What level range should I expect to be at the end of the game?

I worry I am taking too many skills and spreading myself too thin, is it better to only take a few skills and work on those or is it ok to take a wide range of skills. For example, I have taken repair and foraging and am level two, and I think next I might get lock picking.
ManusDei
Council Member

Re: couple beginner questions

Post by ManusDei »

To explode barrels, you have to hit them (from far away is better :mrgreen: )

Maybe you don't do enough damage. Bashing through a treasure chest is quite long usually.

I don't know about a level cap.

For the skills, ask someone else :D
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Sajen wrote:Also, is it necessary to get the lockpicking skill for some treasure chests? Because on some of the chests I don't seem to be able to bash them open, my attacks show damage being done but the "hitpoints" of the chest remain the same and don't decrease.
Technically you will eventually succeed, but it's really not worth it if it's taking that long; I'd recommend finding another way to open 'em.
I worry I am taking too many skills and spreading myself too thin, is it better to only take a few skills and work on those or is it ok to take a wide range of skills.
There's a bit of a tradeoff, of course. I've only played Book 2 a little bit yet, but with Book 1, things were definitely easier if you concentrate on getting your core stats/skills up before branching out into new territory. I'd expect that Book 2 would end up encouraging the same behavior. But then, of course, you're giving up some flexibility by doing so.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Book 2 has a level cap of 31 just like Book 1.

Depending upon what rules you set at the beginning for experience bonus, whether you pick locks and remove traps with skills or other means,how many monsters you fight that appear while camping, and how much of the game you do you can get into the 20s at the end of the game. You can just keep camping until enough monsters show up until you reach level 31.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Sajen wrote:How do I make those explosive barrels explode?
As someone said, throw things at them..from a distance. Don't worry about not having 'throwing' skill. Rocks, darts, etc. will work if you throw enough of them.
Also, is it necessary to get the lockpicking skill for some treasure chests? Because on some of the chests I don't seem to be able to bash them open, my attacks show damage being done but the "hitpoints" of the chest remain the same and don't decrease.
Some you have to patiently bash them, or blow them up with magic or barrels. Some you have to find the combination numbers, others you have to have high enough Pick lock skill and or magic spell "Lock Melt".
I worry I am taking too many skills and spreading myself too thin, is it better to only take a few skills and work on those or is it ok to take a wide range of skills. For example, I have taken repair and foraging and am level two, and I think next I might get lock picking.
It's best to put points into primary skills like pick lock, Skullduggery, piercing if thief type. Of course foraging and repair, which can be bought by the way if you find the trainers, are necessary if you haven't turned off the need for food/water and items wearing out. Foraging is very handy for getting more money or Alchemy ingredients if your planning on going that way.

Learning these things is why this game is so great and replaying it over and over so interesting. So many combinations to try and 'challenges' to meet. :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Randomizer wrote:Book 2 has a level cap of 31 just like Book 1.

Depending upon what rules you set at the beginning for experience bonus, whether you pick locks and remove traps with skills or other means,how many monsters you fight that appear while camping, and how much of the game you do you can get into the 20s at the end of the game. You can just keep camping until enough monsters show up until you reach level 31.
I thought Book I was capped @ 21... *shrug*

Book II has some areas where add-ons can be implemented for high level content.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

It's been a while since I played Book 1 so I might have misremembered the level cap.

I never reached the level cap in Book 2 since I didn't have the patience to camp out in the Forsaken Coast for the higher experience monsters.
sirchet
Apprentice

Post by sirchet »

I always take unarmed at char creation so I can bash doors and chests without getting hurt, or hurting my weapon.

I leave the skill at 1, it's something to fall back on if your weapon breaks and you're miles from a smith. :wink:
Help is good when asked for,
better when needed.
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

The level cap for Book I was set at 21. Nice to see that the level cap for Book II is 31.

Does bashing destroy any of the contents within the chest? Since I usually take the Pick Lock skill or Lock melt (if a mage) I do not bash.
History is written by the winners!
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

realmzmaster wrote:The level cap for Book I was set at 21. Nice to see that the level cap for Book II is 31.

Does bashing destroy any of the contents within the chest? Since I usually take the Pick Lock skill or Lock melt (if a mage) I do not bash.
Bashing doesn't break contents... at least not in Book II. ;)
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

CrazyBernie wrote:
realmzmaster wrote:The level cap for Book I was set at 21. Nice to see that the level cap for Book II is 31.

Bashing doesn't break contents... at least not in Book II. ;)
Not in Book I or Book II. I often thought that the moment you first hit a barrel or chest, the loot should be determined, and things like potions have a chance to break. If one of those things happens to be demon oil, well, it'll open the chest pretty quickly. ;)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Must put it in the suggestion list for Book III:

You hear the sound of breaking glass as the delicate potion bottles shatter.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Randomizer wrote:Must put it in the suggestion list for Book III:

You hear the sound of breaking glass as the delicate potion bottles shatter.
I think the first hit, you should hear a rattling of glass. The second (or later, depending on how lucky you are), the glass cracks, then you get the fun of mixing unmatched reagents and reactants. ;-)

You can tell that I just like things that randomly go boom, right?
---

realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

I can only assume it was a design decision by BW. Because he was able to implement the deterioration of armor and weapons. I assume a similar variable could be assigned for the fragility of an object.
Weapons and amor in a chest would be less likely to break than anything in glass.
Freeaxe is correct in that the contents of the chest would have to be set on the first blow.

A sound like the shattering of glass, the cracking of wood or breaking of metal would occur.
History is written by the winners!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

See, we're going to get BW to open up a Book III forum with a suggestions list before he even has all the platform versions of Book II out. ;-)

I think, however, this effect would be one of the side effects of choosing the optional deterioration and fixed random seeds settings at the start of the game, so those who want to play with the higher difficulty would have the effects, but the entire algorithm would be bypassed if you weren't playing on those settings.

Plus, I want to see Crazy Bernie add it to the adventures of Lewis the Fighter.
---