RPGs that influenced me the most...

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

RPGs that influenced me the most...

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Ultima 2 through 7, and Underworld 1 and 2.
Might and Magic 3, 4, 5 (the Xeen series!)
Dungeon Master (played but didn't really like the second one).
Eye of the Beholder I and II, and Lands of Lore (Westwood Studio's RPGs).
Elder Scrolls: Arena and Daggerfall...

[edit] Oh yeah, and Wizardry 7. I didn't get into the Wizardrys until later in the series, and 8 was okay. I've heard great things about Wizardry 6 but I've never played it...anyone have any experience with it?

There are many more RPGs that I enjoyed playing, but these games really affected me. Anyone else care to share?
Last edited by BasiliskWrangler on August 19th, 2006, 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sanctus
Marshall

Post by Sanctus »

Never finished none of those...
Guess becouse I'm only 15 and when I got my computer they where oldies. Still now that I'm more brighter in the videogames I think I would like to try those(if they work on xp)
Are they abandonware?
May the sky never fall on your head
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

I was able to find most of the old Might & Magics on abandonware sites. The Xeen series has a style that you're either going to love or hate...there's no in-between.
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

I can't really say and computer RPG has influenced me in any way, really. There are ones I look back on fondly though, games that I guess sucked me into the whole cRPG hobby.
Phantasy, the early Ultimas, the first couple of Might And Magics, Wasteland.. The SSI Dungeons & Dragons "gold box" games. By the time those started coming out, I was fully hooked on the whole thing.

Others of note - Neuromancer, Battletech: Crescent Hawk's Revenge and Crescent Hawk's Inception, Bard's Tale.

I'd have to give the lion's share of credit to Might And Magic and the D&D games as being the most "influential" on me. I spent a lot of time with those games.

Then I kind of fell out of computer gaming for a number of years, only getting back into it around the time of the first Baldur's Gate.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
Rollor
Marshall

Post by Rollor »

Can't say ive actually played those games. I have tried a few but I never got around playing them for real.:/
I have probably missed alot of good gaming:(

Im not much of a gamer but still i think gothic 1 and 2 is very nice games.

oh and dink smallwood is hella fun:D
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Rollor: Not all those games I mentioned are great per se, but they had an affect on me. I just want to know what RPGs everyone here has enjoyed...what was the RPG that made you a fan of the genre?
Killer Kitty
Initiate

Post by Killer Kitty »

My favourites would be...

Wizardry 6 - 8
Ultima IV - VII
System Shock 1/2
Gothic 1/2
Planescape: Torment
Arcanum
Fallout 1/2
Might and Magic: World of Xeen
Might and Magic VI/VII
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
Deus Ex
Ultima Underworld 1/2
Geneforge 2
Mount and Blade
Master of Magic
Lands of Lore 1/2
Bard's Tale 1 - 3
Eye of the Beholder 1 - 3
Darklands
Pool of Radiance
Arx Fatalis
Divine Divinity
Nox
Temple of Elemental Evil (patched)
Realms of Arkania 2: The Star Trail
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Stronghold
Elite Plus
Quest For Glory (any)

There are probably more that I forgot.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Oh yeah, Bard's Tale. Forgot about that....many hours spent on that one.
Sanctus
Marshall

Post by Sanctus »

LOLZ I only played nox and gothic 1 of those that u listed
dteowner

Post by dteowner »

Trying to be a little more precise than Kitty, I'd probably go with:
M&M series (particularly 6 and 7)
Wiz8
Planescape:Torment
Fallout 1 and 2
Mines of Moria (think that was the title, definitely dating myself on that one since I played it on a friend's Apple IIe-with an industry leading 64k of RAM)
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:what was the RPG that made you a fan of the genre?
I think I was born a fan of the genre, there's no defining moment that caught me or made me realise "hey, this stuff is neat!". As as kid, I always had an active imagination, and I guess I pretty much always role-played with myself, through toys, drawing and all that stuff. So it was kind of a seamless progression from there into my first video games on the Atari 2600, where even the simplest games like Berzerk, Defender or Pit Fall were great adventures. So when I got a Commodore 64, I just kept playing games that were more and more imaginitive, like the aforementioned Phantasy, Ultima, Might And Magic and all sort of other weird and wonderful things (anyone remember Mail Order Monsters?). Got a 286PC after that, and kept going, and it was at that time that I was also heavily into PnP gaming, so it all just fit together.
For a long while after that, I didn't game much on the computer, but played a lot of PnP. I guess it was then Baldur's Gate through which I "re-discovered" computer RPGs.
I've also always been a keen strategy gamer too, so that's a whole other side of the coin.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
Sanctus
Marshall

Post by Sanctus »

Offtopic :
I can't see wath I wrote and wath Gallifrey Quted about BasiliskWrangler
Bug or somefin?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

I'm not sure Sanctus...looks fine here...anyone else having issues?
dteowner

Post by dteowner »

No problems here. Looks local.
Rollor
Marshall

Post by Rollor »

Killer Kitty wrote:My favourites would be...
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Ohh how could i forget Bloodlines. Very nice game with a great atmosphere. Just a shame it had so many bugs. The dev really could have used a couple more months.
But i guess that's just the way they do it at Activision ( was it Activision??). And now Troika is no more:(