Wallpapers?

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Al3xand3r
Apprentice

Wallpapers?

Post by Al3xand3r »

Can we get a few nice Eschalon wallpapers please? I'd personally love something resembling the beginning of Book I, the sunset (or rise?) hill range with the trees, castle, clouds, and the knight's silhouette. Elegant stuff like that (and please make the logos small to compliment the composition, not take from it). Pretty please? For Book II the starry sky it starts with, with the moon and the trees starting showing would be nice as well. I'd do it myself but the games are too low resolution for wallpapers, I'm sure you can cook something nice looking in high res with the original art files.

PS: 10+ hours into Book II and really enjoying the ride though it's been light on story and quests (I just got to Durnore, using a Paladin-like custom class, mainly melee with good Divination skills yet not much mana), but just exploring, finding unique challenges or following the story and quest clues is great.

Edit: Just finished the game :)
Last edited by Al3xand3r on May 22nd, 2010, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geishaboy
Marshall

Re: Wallpapers?

Post by geishaboy »

I used to have the map of Eschalon as my wallpaper, but my girlfriend moaned about it and changed it to a photo of me and her

:(

Would love to some proper Eschalon wallpapers though
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

geishaboy wrote:I used to have the map of Eschalon as my wallpaper, but my girlfriend moaned about it and changed it to a photo of me and her
See, you should've just told her it was a map to her heart, in case you ever lost your way.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

What about something like this?

I lowered the quality for posting purposes, but you get the idea. I could make something better once I get home to my desktop computer... and maybe if BW can supply me with some smaller, backgroundless logos... ^_^
Attachments
Book2-1024.jpg
Book2-1024.jpg (245.19 KiB) Viewed 7356 times
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

CrazyBernie wrote:What about something like this?

[pic]
Hey! Where's my (our) character's kitchen?!?!!!... :x :wink:

(Heck! - Even Lilith seemed to have a kitchen in her place!! :mrgreen: )
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

IJBall wrote:

[pic]
Hey! Where's my (our) character's kitchen?!?!!!... :x :wink:

(Heck! - Even Lilith seemed to have a kitchen in her place!! :mrgreen: )
Don't you see the potbelly stove? That's the kitchen, and living room. :D
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Hey we couldn't afford much more than this two room cottage. Lilith on the other hand, being the Order's most notorious thief/assassin, is loaded.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Here's another one.
Attachments
EB2Camp-1024.jpg
EB2Camp-1024.jpg (253.15 KiB) Viewed 7345 times
Al3xand3r
Apprentice

Post by Al3xand3r »

Not what I had in mind when I said elegant, high resolution, and gave examples of the intro artwork rather than the tiny and busy in-game assets. But whatever floats your boat.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

*shrug* Can't please everyone. I happen to like the "low resolution," "tiny," and "busy" in-game assets. They're part of what makes the game enjoyable.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Heh, I like the camping pic, Bernie! That's cool. :D

I'll work on some wallpapers next week.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Al3xand3r
Apprentice

Post by Al3xand3r »

I happen to like the game too and don't think I implied otherwise (duh, why else would I have finished it so fast, playing almost nonstop). I simply meant screenshots of a low res game don't cut it for a widescreen high res monitor's wallpaper, imo... Heck, screenshots of any game rarely are wallpaper worthy. Otherwise I'd have made some myself... But since good wallpapers, imo, do require some skill, it was more a hopeful request for the developers who have the raw art files and can hopefully prepare something elegant and higher res using them... This is the kind of thing I'd like to see, but rather than just taking snapshots from the intros as seen here, improve the composition, add a couple logos, offer different resolutions and ratios, etc... Thanks for looking into this Wrangler, I look forward to seeing them.

I'd especially love to see the last one in high res widescreen, without the large title... Or whatever works, I'm sure you guys will figure out something pretty since, well, you made these. You might also wanna offer avatar and forum signature images while you're at it. For use in other forums obviously, to help promote the games. Also, you might wanna look at Blizzard's wallpapers for ideas on how to do the composition, how to fill in the extra space with stuff that enhance the center piece, etc. Or not, just a thought.
Domenic
Pledge

Post by Domenic »

I lowered the quality for posting purposes, but you get the idea. I could make something better once I get home to my desktop computer... and maybe if BW can supply me with some smaller, backgroundless logos... ^_^

This game is look like Age of Empire
am I right
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Domenic wrote: This game is look like Age of Empire
am I right
Hmmm... not really... maybe if you were really zoomed out, the buildings were completely different, and there was varied terrain height.... but that would make it a different game.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Al3x:
Not bad, but . . . not quite 'distinctive' or descriptive enough.

Bernie:
Until the second one I was going to say that we all know you have the talent and inclination to do better than that, and give us some cool stuff like a bunch of powder kegs blowing something or someone up . . . but the second one, with the camp scene, looks pretty nice.

At any rate, I'm sure I can grab myself some good shots when I finally get around to playing the game.

Neverwinter Nights 2 is great for that, cool close-up shots of my double-wielding heroine doing cool twirls just before she slashes up her enemy, or cool shots of her posing stoically, cape-to-camera, looking on to whatever enemy or whatever landscape from whatever cliff or height, and so on.

I'm sure I'll be able to make cool wallpapers with Dragon Age, too, when I get around to that. (Down to $36! It pays to wait. No way I was gonna pay $60 for that game . . . plus, hopefully by the time I grab it the most annoying bugs will have corresponding patches.)

Can anybody tell me why huge game companies release games so full of bugs it's as if no one has even tested it yet, while any small indie company makes sure the game's almost entirely bug-free before releasing it?

Is it all about the Deadline, nothing else? I mean, granted these big-name games are much, much more complicated . . . but also their staff is much, much bigger and assumedly they're able to grab many more testers.

Back to wallpapers, though: Usually I use photos or paintings from artists I find here and there. Very infrequently will I use one of my own photos, since I don't like 'em much, and never have I used a scan of one of my own paintings, because not only am I not satisfied with them generally, but it also feels sort of self-congratulatory.

But game shots -- and sometimes the art that they use on load screens -- are also great for wallpapers.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.