Damage Display Incorrect

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book II
Lightning
Initiate

Damage Display Incorrect

Post by Lightning »

This is the first time I've noticed this particular issue since I've started playing the game and unfortunately it is very difficult to get a screenshot of, so I will describe what has been happening.

The damage indicators that appear above creatures when you hit them suddenly stopped matching the actual damage I was doing to the creatures. For example, I will hit a creature for 37 damage, it will say that properly in the text box, but the number that appears above the creature will read 17. It is very consistent in replacing whatever the tens place was with the number one instead. Again, it's hard to get a screenshot of since the damage number above the creature only appears for a short time. :oops:

This did not start happening until I entered the Fellpine Forest area, if it matters, when I started going against those gigantic staghorn beetles (which aren't called that in the game, but we all know that's what they are :) ). I can attempt to get a screenshot of this on my next playing session if I see it happen again. Has anyone else had this issue?
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Damage Display Incorrect

Post by CrazyBernie »

Hmmm... are you doing any sort of bonus damage?? Like critical hits, or are you using a weapon/ring that grants you extra damage?
Lightning
Initiate

Post by Lightning »

On critical hits the damage would sometimes display correctly, strangely enough. But yes, I do have some items that add to damage; my sword adds +2 damage and +1 frost. It's been like that for a long time, though. I recently started using the various combat modes, especially the power mode. I didn't even know the combat modes existed until someone in a thread here mentioned it being useful for bashing things open. :lol:

EDIT: or maybe the game hates my character now that he has a strength over forty. Come to think of it, I think it started happening after I got his strength over forty. But I'm not positive.
Lightning
Initiate

Post by Lightning »

Okay, it took a little while, but I was able to more easily get a screen capture of this while playing it in windowed mode.

And since it is small and hard to see, a close up of what the damage number is above the enemy. I did 39 damage plus one frost, and yet it shows as a 19.
Lhoric
Senior Steward

Post by Lhoric »

There was a bug like this during beta that seems to have crept back in. Thx for reporting it. 1.05 anyone? ;-)1
Lightning
Initiate

Post by Lightning »

No trouble! Loving the game so far regardless. I wish there were more games like this out on the market. :mrgreen:
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Your first post says that you hit for 37, but it showed 17. Your follow-up post says you hit for 39, but it showed 19.

See a pattern here? Seems like the "tens" digit is only showing a 1...at least when it comes to damage over 30.

I'm sure it is a really simple fix. We'll get this patched up in 1.04.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Lightning
Initiate

Post by Lightning »

It might also be because of added damage from elemental enhancements. As I was playing more, I noticed when I switched to weapons without +1/2/etc. damage enhancements, less odd displaying would occur.