Classic Amiga RPG's

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Classic Amiga RPG's

Post by Saxon1974 »

Don't know if anyone is interested in playing some classic Amiga games but here are a couple of good links if you want to check out. I remember the Amiga coming out but at the time everything was going PC, so it sort of got ignored.

I started playing around with a few classics using an Amiga emulator and found them to be better than the PC versions. I have been playing Bard's Tale II and I think its the best version available.

So far I am finding the graphics to be a bit better than most of the PC versions and the sound way better.

Anyways, here is the link to the emulator (Really easy to use) and the link to some classic Amiga RPG's

http://www.winuae.net/

http://hol.abime.net/hol_search.php?N_ref_category=19
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Amiga?! Gads that brings back lovely memories. :) We've had Commadore/Amiga's in our home for years and finally went to Macs when there was no hope for Amiga and gaming and useful software. I loved Bards Tale. I'll have to see if I can find a decent emulator for the Mac that will run Amiga games. Thanks for reminding me. Just wish I had all the old software, threw it out a couple of years ago because the drives that ran it went kaput.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

No problem! I figured there were plenty of people here looking for the classic RPG fix that you just can't find anymore.

The Amiga looks like it was a great gaming PC for the time.

I had a commodore 64 though and then a PC, never had an Amiga, so I havn't played some of these games.

If you have, and can recommend any please do so.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

I just checked thru the Amiga listing and there were a lot I hadn't tried or don't recall. Below are the titles I remember, though some of them I only remember the title and not the game, it's been so long! :lol:

All the Bards Tales (good ones for the times)

Dungeon Master (I managed to finish this one, it was hard)

Faery Tale Adventure, The

Might and Magic Book Two (and One, but it wasn't listed - had to do your own mapping on graph paper)

Phantasie

Pool of Radiance

Ultima III, IV, V. (I never did try 1 and 2, but have them now. Just need to find my hint book for those. :) ) Oh, if you try or do have PC version of Ultima 5, did you speak to Iolo (sp?) and say: "spam, spam, spam, humbug" ----oops, my son said that was Ultima 6 not 5. I didn't realize I had done that on my Amiga. Gah! Old age is the pits!)
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

I have played all of those at some point or another except I never play any of the Phantasie games. Do you think they are worth a shot? do they hold up to age well?
Jamie
Pledge

Post by Jamie »

Ahh, the Amiga 500.
One meg of ram was all I had, and yet I
was able to become addicted to Dungeon
Master, Knightmare, and Eye of the Beholder.

Those were the days.
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

The Amiga rules!!!! I will love this machine forever. Thank you Jay Miner and a salute to Fred Fish!
"FUL IR"
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Jamie wrote:Ahh, the Amiga 500.
One meg of ram was all I had, and yet I
was able to become addicted to Dungeon
Master, Knightmare, and Eye of the Beholder.

Those were the days.
I saw the Knightmare game. Is that one you would recommend as an RPG? It said something about it being a kids game so that kind of turned me of.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I saw "Black Crypt" listed on that page, which is Raven's very first game. I always had a fascination with that game, although I've never actually seen it because I was an Atari ST geek and didn't have an Amiga. I've only looked at screenshots in magazines and thought "damn that looks cool!"

I'm trying to figure out how to get the Amiga emulator up and running so I can play it!! My 15-year curiosity about this game is nearly over!!
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Saxon1974 wrote:I have played all of those at some point or another except I never play any of the Phantasie games. Do you think they are worth a shot? do they hold up to age well?
Thats the problem, haven't played them in ages. I faguely recall the first one as being a great deal of fun. Though it may have been that I had no people nearby to game with and the BBS I used to rpg on had folded. I was desperate back then :lol:
Jamie
Pledge

Post by Jamie »

To Saxon1974:

Hmm, I'm not sure if I can logically defend my
love for Knightmare. But I can on an emotional
level.

Knightmare was (I feel) a salute to the success
of Dungeon Master (as was Black Crypt). However,
with every loving salute, salutes that only dedicated
fans can give back to the genre, there were challenging
changes. The game added interesting gimmicks like
mining carts (they really moved), odd spells, interesting
weapons like baseballs (my memory is fuzzy after all
these years, was it tennis balls?), and interesting (often
frustrating for a dunce like me) puzzles that made you
scratch your head (never did make it to the chess
board level).

Overall, I think Knightmare was quickly drowned out
by the likes of the Eye of the Beholder games (not sure
if the third one made it to our fabled machine) and
the Ishar games.

*looks at the response*
Wow, that's way too much.

Anyone remember Captive?
*changes subject nervously*
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Dragonlady wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote:I have played all of those at some point or another except I never play any of the Phantasie games. Do you think they are worth a shot? do they hold up to age well?
Thats the problem, haven't played them in ages. I faguely recall the first one as being a great deal of fun. Though it may have been that I had no people nearby to game with and the BBS I used to rpg on had folded. I was desperate back then :lol:
I hear you, I remember playing classics like Ultima III religiously when I was a kid, but its been so long I don't really recall the gameplay much if at all.

I have been finding that the classics I loved as a kid that I did go back and play that I was right and they were still great games. Examples, wasteland, might and magic II and Ultima V and VI (IV was great too but its not very interactive for what we are used to today)...and there were quite a few others.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Jamie wrote:To Saxon1974:

Hmm, I'm not sure if I can logically defend my
love for Knightmare. But I can on an emotional
level.

Knightmare was (I feel) a salute to the success
of Dungeon Master (as was Black Crypt). However,
with every loving salute, salutes that only dedicated
fans can give back to the genre, there were challenging
changes. The game added interesting gimmicks like
mining carts (they really moved), odd spells, interesting
weapons like baseballs (my memory is fuzzy after all
these years, was it tennis balls?), and interesting (often
frustrating for a dunce like me) puzzles that made you
scratch your head (never did make it to the chess
board level).

Overall, I think Knightmare was quickly drowned out
by the likes of the Eye of the Beholder games (not sure
if the third one made it to our fabled machine) and
the Ishar games.

*looks at the response*
Wow, that's way too much.

Anyone remember Captive?
*changes subject nervously*
Jamie, we have our different reason for liking games so not worries :roll:
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Captive? Hell yeah. That was a great game and very inspirational. Although its influences are not visible in Eschalon, I can definitely say it scores very high on my inspirational RPG list.
PaSquall
Steward

Post by PaSquall »

Amiga !!! Good times... Played tons of RPGs on it. Still have it on a desk, but my wife insists on throwing it to the dump because it takes space and I only use it once a year or so now :( . The PC has definitely won the battle.
I've tried WinUAE a few times, but not very easy to setup, sometimes it doesn't work very well. But there are now 1 or 2 front-ends that help well. I'll definitely play a few games I missed in the past, but I have so many of them waiting on my PS2, Dreamcast and PC...
I played a ton of good RPGs at the time. For what I recall (and looking at my shelf just right next to me :D , I still kept most of my amiga games) :
- Dungeon master (everybody knows this one)
- Chaos strikes back (the sequel)
- Dungeon master 2 (quite good actually - although some kind of bug at the very end of the game didn't allow me too finish it :x )
- EOB1
- EOB2 (BEST EVER IMO)
- Might and magic 3 (though I don't recall playing it much)
- Amberstar (as above. There was ambermoon, too, but never played it).
- Pools of darkness (and the other gold box series. Good rendition od AD&D rules, and great tactical turn-based combat, but graphically outdated - even at the time)
- Fate Gates of the dawn (looked fantastic, but crashed as soon as I got in the first town. Never knew if it was a bug, or faulty disk :cry: . One of the games i'll definitely play with winUAE in the future, I just hope there is a correct version floating around...)
- Black crypt (fantastic one - BW, if you can give it a shot, do it !. Got stuck somewhere at level 7 or 11, I don't recall, and never finished it.)
- Realms of Arkania - Blades of destiny (good, but too much wandering monsters, and clunky interface)
- Knightmare (dungeon-master-like. quite good, definitely not a kid game. Got stuck at the end of the 1st level - was missing a key or something)
- Crystal dragon (one of the latest of the amiga history. an excellent pseudo3D EOB style game, with only 2 PCs. Levels had often many linked sublevels, mapping it was a nightmare :twisted: . never finished it because it got a bit repetitive (only 2 different monster in each level, and you got to slaughter hundreds of each), but very good game anyway. I seem to recall the author distributes it freely, I have the link somewhere...)
- Ultima 6 (never played it. Crashed)
- Ishar 1 (never played it)
- ishar 2
- ishar 3 (only played ishar 2. Good games that I intend to replay one day)
- Legacy of Sorasil (heroquest follow-up, I don't recall much of it)
- darkmere (isometric)
- elvira 3 - waxworks. Cross between adventure and RPG)
- Bard's tale 3 (never played it)
- Dragonflight (never played it - crashed at startup)

And probably a few more I don't recall now...

(Shadowlands ? Cadaver ? Oh, Legends of Faerghail too, similar to Fate IIRC)

I have forgotten so much...