People into anime?

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

People into anime?

Post by Evnissyen »

So.... how many of you people are into anime, and if you are then which're your favorites?

Here's my top 5 list at the moment, I think:

5. Noir (Sure, your typical anime 'fetish': pretty girls with deadly skills, two with guns and one with knives . . . but it should go without saying that there's more to it than that.)
4. Kino's Journey (Despite what some people will contend: I still maintain that this is not a children's series. Seriously done, none of the Cuteness that the Japanese like so much to indulge in.)
3. Elfen Lied (Blood and guts, horror, Japanese technology gone wrong, gratuitous nudity. Only flaw: that Japanese fascination with Cuteness can really get out of hand sometimes.)
2. When They Cry (Ranges from cute/charming to wildly horrific, and quite bloody at times. Built in layers, each chapter both filling in the spaces of the previous as well as giving a different aspect of and take on the same sad, sad (and mysterious) story. Only flaw: sometimes the protagonist guy (unlike the girls) is just too stupid for comfort even though he's 'supposed' to be intelligent. Okay, and in the first episode of each chapter it sometimes get way too cute, but still you can always be comforted by the fact that blood will soon spill.)
1. Lain: Serial Experiments (The barrier between Reality and the Wired (in other words, the Web) is about to fail. Nobody can stop it. Indescribably fascinating, and nicely serious, no-nonsense stuff, no typical Japanese cuteness etc . . . )

Serious contenders: Mushi-Shi, Ghost in the Shell and The Mysterious Cities of Gold.

Additional note: I also like some of Hayao Miyazaki's films (he makes children's films), I think he's quite talented. I've only seen three of his films so far but my favorite of the three is Spirited Away. Princess Mononoke, I thought, was quite good as well.

Both Pixar and Disney could learn something from this guy.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: People into anime?

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Spirited Away is one of my all-time favorite movies of any genre, I also liked Princess Mononoke, Ponyo and Nausicaa. I guess Miyazaki is my favorite anime director, though I liked the films long before I knew who he was.

I really like the new CGI-heavy style anime stuff, like Appleseed and Ghost in the Shell 2.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Nausicaä is the next film of his I want to see.

Actually, I've just ordered it from my library.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Aldbeski
Marshall

Post by Aldbeski »

are we talking about anime series or movies
P.s : excuse my bad English

Didn't reach my expectations (Eschalon Book 3)>> But Still, A Great Game nevertheless
geishaboy
Marshall

Post by geishaboy »

I used to watch heaps of Anime back in the day, but haven't for a while now. I might have to re-get some of my old favourites

No particular order

Genshiken - Comedy series about a group of nerds that have their own comic book/video game club at their university. It's not a goofy over the top fare, but more like an actual sitcom, only animated

Neon Genesis Evangelion - If you want your brain to dissolve and seep out of your ears, give this one a go

Ranma 1/2 - An absolute classic. Kung fu action, ancient Chinese magic, high school sweethearts, this one has it all. It's quite old, but has aged well.

Monster - A dark, brooding thriller about a doctor trying to find a serial killer that he unwittingly saved from death as a child.

Golden Boy - The misadventures of a wanderer in Japan getting into odd situations that come with all the new jobs he has
daisyLee
Pledge

Post by daisyLee »

not so much with anime... :)
only games..

but my friend very addicted to them..

specially Naruto and One Piece...

he spend time looking for site wherein he can download them free...
he even sleep 3 hours only just because of watching them..
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

daisyLee wrote:he even sleep 3 hours only just because of watching them..
Now that's dedication. :)
abradley
Pledge

Post by abradley »

fudgemaster
Apprentice

Post by fudgemaster »

MEDABOTS! I know it's not really anime but it was a cool show nonetheless.
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

I am a fan of the Yugioh series especially Duel Monsters and 5Ds. I also watch Naruto, Bleach and One Piece.
History is written by the winners!
McSilly
Initiate

Post by McSilly »

Claymore: Would recommend this anime series to anyone who loves fantasy, and even though yes it it is quiet revealing of women, the story is very engaging! ""Clare is a young member of the Claymores, a class of creature who is half human and half Yoma monster, and whose quest in life is to fight against the full-breed Yomas -- hideous fiends who feed ruthlessly on humanity. Fueled by an upbringing filled with violence and abandonment, Clare sets out to attain justice against the evil Yomas, risking her life to hold the monsters responsible for her painful and plentiful woes.""
**can watch on instant via Netflix

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood; a great mix of what seems like a childs anime to very adult themed. ""Two brothers, Edward and Alphonse, disregard strictures against using a taboo form of science to revive their dead mother in this anime adventure based on the popular manga series. When their attempt at resurrection fails, they pay a huge price. Ed loses two limbs, while Al's soul is ripped from his body and attached to a suit of armor. Hoping to restore their bodies, the brothers battle a host of evil rivals to find the Philosopher's Stone.""
**Brotherhood is more true to the manga comics compared to the original series and can be rented via Netflix up to part 3 (as of now) Aniplex will be releasing part 4 later this year.

Queen's Blade: The Exiled Virgin
Engaging and yet more perverted than Claymore, it still passes with a decent story although its slow to start, took about 2nd episode before i was convinced to continue on :)
""Based on the Queen's Blade series of visual combat books, this action-packed anime series centers on the ferocious -- and often bloody -- tournament of women warriors held once every four years to determine who will become queen of the land. High-born Reina enters the contest despite her inexperience and is aided by veteran fighter Listy. They fend off dangerous beasts and treacherous opponents to reach their goal.""
**can be seen via Netflix up to volume 3.

Vexille
This movie is comparable to the wonderful story of the original (1988) Appleseed with the newer 2004's version CGI's movie. Not to mention a whole soundtrack by Paul Oakenfold, what more could you want!
""In a futuristic world where Japan has isolated itself with a magnetic field so it can continue the development of robotics and biotechnology, it's up to a U.S. special forces team to find a way inside. Dubbed SWORD, the team is led by a formidable female commander named Vexille, who's tasked with figuring out whether Japan's top secret experiments pose a serious threat to the world at large.""
**can watch instant via Netflix

Current project: Desert Punk (still watching)
""In a futuristic Japan, where fate has transformed the once-lush landscape into the giant Kanto desert, the complexities of everyday life have pushed many to become criminals, and innocence, decency and heroism are scarce. Amid the chaos, a pint-sized bounty hunter named Sunabouzu (aka the Desert Punk) -- armed with a reputation for excellence and admittedly less-than-noble intentions -- is just looking for his next paycheck.""
**instant via Netflix
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

McSilly: That last picture... holy hell... too much, too much! [covers eyes with hands]

Claymore: heard of it more than once, don't think I've ever seen it.

Full Metal Alchemist: Seen it, not bad, interesting.

The others stuff I haven't heard of.
McSilly
Initiate

Post by McSilly »

I know i was a little hesitant to post that last picture even though it is the cover for the DVD, but it does not reveal anything so I hope I am ok! :roll:

Claymore is a must see, no exceptions and you will have no regrets. I was disappointed when I finished watching it for the mere fact that it was over. I still hope that maybe one day the series will get picked back up. It was the same sadness I had with the ending of Arrested Development :(