Anyone else worry?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
farley2k
Initiate

Anyone else worry?

Post by farley2k »

I am in no way trying to put down the devlopers but as my excitement about the game grows so does my worry it will stink. The last turn based RPG I was really excited about was "Temple of Elemental Evil" and before that "Pool of Radiance" Playing (or trying to play) those two games I think is good justification to be warry about games. Add to that the fact that while the developers seem great they don't have much of a track record. So really this is a very untested team in a genre with a lot of crappy games!

I hope the game is wonderful, and I expect it to be, but part of me just worries.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Re: Anyone else worry?

Post by Saxon1974 »

farley2k wrote:I am in no way trying to put down the devlopers but as my excitement about the game grows so does my worry it will stink. The last turn based RPG I was really excited about was "Temple of Elemental Evil" and before that "Pool of Radiance" Playing (or trying to play) those two games I think is good justification to be warry about games. Add to that the fact that while the developers seem great they don't have much of a track record. So really this is a very untested team in a genre with a lot of crappy games!

I hope the game is wonderful, and I expect it to be, but part of me just worries.
Of course, im sure we all do, but kudos for having the guts to post it on their forum :shock:

I think the things that give me faith it will be good is the way that the game is being designed, it's almost as I would want it to a tee, turn based combat, old school character creation and development etc.....Basilisk really seems to have most of the same opinions that I do that makes games good....so as long as its stable I think I will like it quite a bit.
Sol Invictus
Initiate

Post by Sol Invictus »

I can't really blame you. PoR and ToEE wounded many people. I try not to have any expectattions for new games since I have been so disappointed over the last few years.
citizendragon
Apprentice

Post by citizendragon »

Greetings,

I'm excited about the game. Big thumbs up that a demo is available from the start (a finished demo at that, not beta) and that this is a very hand crafted game. An indie game from the heart vs a dummed down profit game for the masses.

Be happy someone is taking the time to craft a game like this, play the demo and then decide....no worries.

As Donald Sutherland put it..."Stop it with the negative waves baby"...from Kellys heroes!

Feedback I've read from beta demo testers sounds really positive.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

There are a few sure things in life, one of them being you can't please all the people all the time. Not one person who visits these forums would give the same answer to "what makes a great RPG?". Some people feel that role-playing is all about the story. Some think the secret to a great RPG is how well the game world reacts to your actions. Some think it's all in the combat, others say it's about character development, and still others say it's about plundering and exploration.

Of course, if a game could hit all these elements perfectly then we'd have our perfect RPG, right? The problem is, it almost never happens.

I think we've made a very, very good RPG. Our strong points are a very deep character development system, turn-based combat, an openly explorable world and an interesting storyline that has surprised several of our testers. To put it bluntly, I made the type of RPG that always appealed to me. It feels very Ultima-ish, a little Might & Magic-ish, and a bit Wizardry-ish. Will this appeal to you? Well, we will find out on the 19th! :wink:

Either way, the cool thing about us is that we really listen to you people! If Book I is not what you wanted, let us know how we can improve the system for Book II.
farley2k
Initiate

Post by farley2k »

It is the kind of commitment you folks have shown around here which is making me lean towards a 1st day purchase (and the relatively low price is a help too. :))

I hope you know I don't mean any disrespect or to be rude I just figure forums are for talking about what is on people's minds about the game.
quasimodo
Marshall

Post by quasimodo »

I'm not worried, because I think I have a reasonable level of expectations for this game.

TOEE could have been the best TB RPG ever made. It did some things better than I have ever seen. It caused me pain by giving me a glimpse of perfection then failing to deliver.

If this game delivers a decent classic style RPG experience with fun TB combat I'll be plenty happy.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:There are a few sure things in life, one of them being you can't please all the people all the time. Not one person who visits these forums would give the same answer to "what makes a great RPG?". Some people feel that role-playing is all about the story. Some think the secret to a great RPG is how well the game world reacts to your actions. Some think it's all in the combat, others say it's about character development, and still others say it's about plundering and exploration.

Of course, if a game could hit all these elements perfectly then we'd have our perfect RPG, right? The problem is, it almost never happens.

I think we've made a very, very good RPG. Our strong points are a very deep character development system, turn-based combat, an openly explorable world and an interesting storyline that has surprised several of our testers. To put it bluntly, I made the type of RPG that always appealed to me. It feels very Ultima-ish, a little Might & Magic-ish, and a bit Wizardry-ish. Will this appeal to you? Well, we will find out on the 19th! :wink:

Either way, the cool thing about us is that we really listen to you people! If Book I is not what you wanted, let us know how we can improve the system for Book II.
Great post here. I don't think the perfect RPG is possible, it's like trying to write the perfect book or song.
focus
Apprentice

Post by focus »

No doubt on Tuesday there will be people on here saying how much they love the game, people saying they like the game, people saying they are disappointed and people saying how they waited for a year for that rubbish.

Just the way of things, happened with every game I have waited for over the years, as BW said you can't make everyone happy. Just to add I will be buying the game as soon as it is available on Monday, and don't expect to be complaining on Tuesday from what I have read on these forums.
gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

I'll buy the game on monday.
I followed the development for a long time and I think BW worked hard to build waht many of us expected: a good old school rpg.
And I want to encourage and support this independent game developer to continue to follow this line.
Perhaps Eschalon book will be better than Book I, with enhanced grphics, party based gameplay, more cinematics, deeper story, etc.
But we must support the efforts of independents if we want to play something better than console-ish pc games.

For what I've learned roaming this forum, I found many other real RPGs entusiasts and Thomas talked with everyone giving and taking hints, ideas,etc.

Thi is waht I call a professional approach. And this is what gives me some strong point to believe this game will be a good product.

And about buying the game.... this is my warry.
I'm from Italy and I use a Visa Electron card to buy things on the net. It works perfectly with Paypal so I think it should work also for this game. Could you (BW) explain wich payment system will be allowed?
furor vincit omnia
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

We are using Plimus to handle the orders. As far as I can tell, they accept every major type of international credit card and Pay-Pal.

It will work like this: you order the game, they confirm everything and email you a download link. The time between ordering and getting your link is 10-30 minutes based on the tests I have done.
gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

Thanks BW.
I hope Monday will arrive soon.
furor vincit omnia
RezoApio
Marshall

Post by RezoApio »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:To put it bluntly, I made the type of RPG that always appealed to me. It feels very Ultima-ish, a little Might & Magic-ish, and a bit Wizardry-ish. Will this appeal to you?
Oh Yes that's sounds exactly what will appeal to me.... only 3 more days and a few timezone hours to go...

Cheers
Rezo
Gardez suffisament d'humour pour ne pas perdre l'esprit au nom de la raison.
Ama la realidad que construyes y ni aun la muerte detendra tu paso.
Mithter Thibbs
Initiate

Post by Mithter Thibbs »

The only way I've found to combat that "sense of disappointment" associated with games is to alter my own behaviour and expectations.

Really, virtually any game that gets published has something redeeming about it. With ToEE, it was the best turn-based combat system I've ever seen in any DnD game. With PoR2, it was the most complete depiction of Myth Drannor -- a bit tedious at times, particularly the dwarven halls, but there was a sense of mysticism, high fantasy, and adventure about the setting that really picked up once you made it to the City Heights. I've played both of those games to completion, and I've managed to enjoy them both... not as much as some games, certainly -- less than most games I've played, in fact -- but I still enjoyed them.

With Eschalon here, I've been aware of this game for over 3 years now. At least, I think it's been that long... it might be longer. I haven't been eagerly anticipating it as the Second Revival of CRPGs, though, because that's just setting myself up for the disappointment we're speaking of. This game sounds like it has what I actually want in a game: the combat, the exploration, the game-like way of interacting with the product, all of it in a time when mainstream games are either empty sandboxes, or more like interactive movies than games.

Thing is, any game, no matter how good it is, is going to disappoint you if you build it up to unattainable heights in your imagination before it even sees the light of day.

Me, I'm leaving myself lots of room to be pleasantly surprised. I've read enough about it online to know I'm going to get the game, and that's enough.
Quaan
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Quaan »

The only one who has reason to be worried is Basilisk.
What can we the customers lose? Worst case if we dont like the game
$27,95.But the Basilisk who has invested a lot of money and probably
even more time really has much at stake.
For us it is just a game,if its crap we will try another one.
So dont worry,get the game and see what happens.
I am confident I will like it.