COMPREHENSIVE Book III 'Wishlist' (List form)

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: COMPREHENSIVE Book III 'Wishlist' (List form)

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Threlkish, I think that's been mentioned before but it bears repeating. By the way, in a situation like that you may consider switching to Cat's Eyes and a torch for now. The Cat's Eyes spell amplifies available light, so your torch goes from lighting up a few squares around you to lighting up a whole large area. If you use Cat's Eyes and Gravedigger's Flame together, you get close to daylight visibility.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Semi-Offtopic: Funny how Cat's Eyes was changed in Book II. In Book I it only lighted up a few tiny tiles in front of the character. Now it's much more useful.
Jammeez
Initiate

Post by Jammeez »

I like the combo of cat's eyes + predator sight, though I haven't used bless with it.

I'd like to know how a skill affects To Hit. I have two weapons of equal base+bonus damage, but my skill in one is much higher.

Also, I set the game options to pre-seeded treasure chests, and it seems that lockpicking and trap disarming results are also predetermined. Is that supposed to happen? :(
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Jammeez wrote:Also, I set the game options to pre-seeded treasure chests, and it seems that lockpicking and trap disarming results are also predetermined. Is that supposed to happen? :(
Yes. Fixed Random Seed sets it for all random actions when they occur. You can "change" the result of a trap disarming or lock picking attempt by doing some other random thing before trying again after reloading. But that's a big pain in the behind.
---

Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Lord_P wrote:Semi-Offtopic: Funny how Cat's Eyes was changed in Book II. In Book I it only lighted up a few tiny tiles in front of the character. Now it's much more useful.
I believe that using Cat's Eyes with another light source worked the same way in Book I, but I'm not certain of that. The biggest improvement to night-time and dungeon visibility in Book II is the adjustable brightness setting.
---

Jammeez
Initiate

Post by Jammeez »

Okay, tnx for the clarification. And knowing that will save me some time reloading and trying again, reloading and trying again, reloading and...you get the picture. I will try your suggestion. I'm okay with some BITB stuff. 8)
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:I believe that using Cat's Eyes with another light source worked the same way in Book I, but I'm not certain of that. The biggest improvement to night-time and dungeon visibility in Book II is the adjustable brightness setting.
Actually it doesn't work entirely like that. Well, atleast the effect is smaller compared to Book II lights-up-entire-screen. Also, doesn't turning brightness up null the immersion? :lol:
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Lord_P wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:I believe that using Cat's Eyes with another light source worked the same way in Book I, but I'm not certain of that. The biggest improvement to night-time and dungeon visibility in Book II is the adjustable brightness setting.
Actually it doesn't work entirely like that. Well, atleast the effect is smaller compared to Book II lights-up-entire-screen. Also, doesn't turning brightness up null the immersion? :lol:
Not for me. I personally have excellent night and low-light vision, so why shouldn't my characters? Also, it makes the dark, stormy nights that much more menacing. No matter how much you turn up the brightness setting, it is black between flashes of lightning.
---

Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Then you get to see the monsters approaching before it goes dark again. :)
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Randomizer wrote:Then you get to see the monsters approaching before it goes dark again. :)
Exactly. It's a lot of fun when you get woken up from camping and it's pitch black and pouring rain and you try to spot as many of the creatures that woke you as possible in the split-second flash of light. That'll get your blood going. ;-)
---

Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Jedi_Learner wrote:I'd like to make a couple of suggestions to the tier three divination spell Summon Beast. I don't think summoned creatures should award experience or drop anything when killed. I also think summoned creatures should disappear in a puff of magickal energy after a fixed amount of turns.
I definitely agree with your first two. Not sure about the third but probably. One issue I see is that I think BW just calls up the existing creature from the library but I believe sets their status to Charmed so they'll defend you. In order for them not to give XP, he may need to create a separate set of summoned creatures to call forth.
---

Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Separate summoned creatures = I agree. Always wondered why using a third tier spell summoned rats. Trying to come up with "original" creatures might be very hard.

Also an idea with the game editor: waterfall "tiles". They would simply be normal tiles but animated and isometricified like the cliff tiles. Currently it is only possible to make waterfalls not visible to the player with the unofficial tools.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I think your suggestions make sense, but I'm not sure they're necessary. I think Summon Beast is a somewhat weak third tier spell as it stands. Why make it weaker than it already is?

Sure, you can farm summoned creatures for food and/or money, but you can also do that with create food. You can farm them for XP, but you could also just camp, and XP farming is kind of pointless in this game anyway.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

SpottedShroom wrote:I think your suggestions make sense, but I'm not sure they're necessary. I think Summon Beast is a somewhat weak third tier spell as it stands. Why make it weaker than it already is?

Sure, you can farm summoned creatures for food and/or money, but you can also do that with create food. You can farm them for XP, but you could also just camp, and XP farming is kind of pointless in this game anyway.
I think by creating six distinct summonable creatures, one for each casting level, you'd actually be able to get some creatures that are effective allies in a fight. They might even open up other possibilities. To me, that would be the way to fix the spell. Make them 6 distinct creatures with increasing power levels and some different abilities (so at times you might want to summon one of the lesser beasts than the biggest one you can get), but they provide 0 XP when killed and don't drop anything.
---

MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:... but they provide 0 XP when killed and don't drop anything.
I dunno - I don't necessarily see anything wrong with summoning a wolf, killing it, and taking its pelt.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland