Random potion

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Random potion

Post by Vroqren »

I had an idea on a new potion for Book III. The potion is called a random potion, for good reason. It is pretty expensive, but can be useful. You see, when you drink it, there are many different outcomes. You could maybe fall asleep, and wake up somewhere totally random on the map that you've never been before. Or maybe, you could learn like three new recipes that you never knew. Or forget a spell, or gain a bit of strength, or even turn everyone into an enemy, preventing you from ever buying stuff again. These don't all have to be things it could do, and they certainly aren't all of the things it could do. So if it was possible, I think it would mix up the plot and make it a bit more interesting.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Re: Random potion

Post by Evnissyen »

Why would you drink it?
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Evnissyen wrote:Why would you drink it?
I can think of a reason, your desparate. Like in Angband or other rogue-like games, you are hurt bad and don't have a healing potion yet. You swallow an unknown potion hoping it will help. Otherwise, I see your point. :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Reading Vrogren's ideas with the potion, the potion could easily be replaced by a wishing well, a magic lamp, a holy tree or whatever. Then you don't need to be desperate to use it, and setting up a dialogue with any of these things instead of with a potion - to add a bit of narrative to proceedings - would be easier as well.
Although, well, it wouldn't make a lot of difference. I'm just saying you could attach this idea to almost anything.
Arkos
Council Member

Post by Arkos »

I can't see, though, why anyone would deliberately brew such a potion, especially if it's expensive. The only reason someone might use it is if they find it. Actually, if it's as expensive as you say, most players would probably just sell it, then use the money to buy more reliable potions.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

I believe the reason is... chaos.
Arkos
Council Member

Post by Arkos »

Heh, well I get the flavor of it. I'm just looking at this from a gamist perspective. I think most players wouldn't bother, and if they did, they would likely abuse save-scumming to make sure the potion does something beneficial.