Baldur's Gate

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
rocketman28
Senior Steward

Baldur's Gate

Post by rocketman28 »

I recently purchased Baldur's Gate, loving the the enriching story line so far, though I was just curious what other people thought of the game.

Thank You For Your Input,

Rocketman28

P.S. I want to thank, "Nevermore" for introducing this game to me in his forum, "10 best RPG's of all time."
Nevermore
Marshall

Re: Baldur's Gate

Post by Nevermore »

Don't worry, you're too kind, thank you. :wink:
Is the last game i've played before migrating to Mac platform and i loved it.
The only game at the same level is Planescape Torment (in my opinion it has a better storyplot) and of course, Eschalon series.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I too recently started Baldur's Gate for the first time. I really liked it except for two things, and those led me to abandon it before I was finished.

The biggest problem for me was the lack of turn based combat. Guess that is just a personal quirk. I felt I was watching someone else play the game rather than feeling I was doing the fighting myself.

The other issue was all of the time I spent diddling with the inventory. It seemed I spent most of my time hauling stuff around and then running back to get items I needed. I finally got tired of the fussing around.

Also, FYI, there are some terrific sites that will provide guidance when you get stuck - which seemed to happen fairly often to me.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Painted Lady wrote:The biggest problem for me was the lack of turn based combat. Guess that is just a personal quirk. I felt I was watching someone else play the game rather than feeling I was doing the fighting myself.
Just out of curiosity, did you try setting up the auto-pause option? It can pretty much turn the game into a full-on turn-based combat system.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

CrazyBernie wrote: Just out of curiosity, did you try setting up the auto-pause option? It can pretty much turn the game into a full-on turn-based combat system.
No, I didn't. Will give it a try - thanks!
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

I enjoyed it up until I got tired of trying to manuever, I think it was 6 characters, around some of those narrow twisting underground areas. It got tedious moving each character until you got to a room full of monsters and discovered that you had the wrong ones in front and the others could do nothing. In my opinion 6 is just too many, and the corridors too narrow. I think that 4 characters is the max that I can handle and still have fun. There were some other reasons I quit also but that was the major one.
rocketman28
Senior Steward

Post by rocketman28 »

I have finally finished game though I did not do as many side quests as I should have done, so I might go back and do them before moving on. After playing I have to agree with the points you guy's made in the fact that I find that the combat and inventory system need to be easier to use, I found my self playing more with my inventory then actually playing the game. Though the story line more then made up for it and will go down as one of the best RPG's I have played. I defiantly be checking out the second Baldur's Gate and if it has even half as soon story as the first I shall be a happy camper.

Thank You So Much For Showing Me This Game,

Rocketman28
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Baldur's Gate II and the expansion have one of the best story line's of any RPG I've ever played; the fact that it's one of only a couple of RPG's I've actually finished attests to that. :mrgreen:
rocketman28
Senior Steward

Post by rocketman28 »

So I just got Baldur's Gate II from my good old local game store and by just watching the beginning trailer I had a feeling this would be a great game. I was further impressed by just the first few minutes of the game play and how it made me feel like I was my character and I was much more immersed into the game, I would even say more then with Baldur's Gate. So if this is any indication of what is to come I am defiantly am just going to have a blast.

Looking Forward To What Is To Come,

Rocketman28
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

noname wrote:I enjoyed it up until I got tired of trying to manuever, I think it was 6 characters, around some of those narrow twisting underground areas. It got tedious moving each character until you got to a room full of monsters and discovered that you had the wrong ones in front and the others could do nothing. In my opinion 6 is just too many, and the corridors too narrow. I think that 4 characters is the max that I can handle and still have fun. There were some other reasons I quit also but that was the major one.
Why not limit yourself to 4 ? Some gamers played it with only the first character.
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

Some gamers play all their games on the insane difficulty level too, and still win!!! I have trouble winning on normal. OK, so I'm not very good but I have fun anyway. Seriously, it's been some time since I played the game but I thought that there were some skills or fighting abilities posessed by some characters and not others that were necessary to complete the game. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I think I would surely have tried to use fewer characters if it were possible for me to still win. I experimented quit a bit. But since I have some time now maybe I'll go and do a replay with 4 characters. It is a great game.
flaminjapaleno
Pledge

Post by flaminjapaleno »

Some gamers play all their games on the insane difficulty level too, and still win!!!

That would be me lol!

Seriously I played this quadrilogy of games (BG, TOTSC, BGSOA, TOB) for about five years solid, i played through all four games 6 times to create my party of max level bhaalspawn, then went and whooped demogorgon in 5 seconds!
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

BG is one of the better rpg series in terms of storyline for sure.

For me though, the auto pause option just doesnt equate to turn based. It was kind of quirky and just a pain after you had too many characters to deal with. I actually used to kill off characters after grabbing their stuff because they annoyed me (and then seeing imoen come back in BG2 KILLED me, hated that whiny character).

But for overall story and funny toons(GO FOR THE EYES BOO!), BG was the game to beat in the day.

This was one game though, that storyline pulled me through meh gameplay. (meh for me, everyone else i know was in love with the gameplay so its just chioce)
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.