New players first playthrough - destroyer ending (SPOILERS)

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
iippo
Pledge

New players first playthrough - destroyer ending (SPOILERS)

Post by iippo »

Hi,

I just finished the game with my first proper character at level 19, as destroyer. I had first one try as mage, but I scrapped him fast.

I played as fighter with a bit of divine magic + alchemy and very very swords heavy. Before playing I read these forums and everybody seemed to say that "focus focus focus" and thats pretty much what i did...

Atleast for swords heavy fighter the game went pretty easily for me i think. I had only end 20 through the game, but lots of str and decent dex made sure i didnt need to stand toe to toe with any enemy for too long.

I bought the book I and II from Steam sale and I think it was a good buy - ofcourse I havent tried book II yet, from what I understand its improved all around compared to book I?

The story was interesting enough for me to finish the game and I really enjoyed the games looks, very nice work there - when do we get map editor? :)

However, what I would have liked is more info on how the skills and stats work. One reason I pumped so much in swords and armor was that I knew they couldnt be bad choice, while i hadnt aaany idea whatsoever about skills like survival or spot for example. Had i known more about them, I would propably have done things a bit different - though this way may have been actually the easiest, most combat efficient.

Also I would have liked to see separate inventory for alchemy ingredients, some kind of memo book for all the books ive read and alchemy recipies, key chain(!!!). Also it would be nice, if it was possible to speed up the animation when walking long distances, it can be somewhat tedious.

I didnt do exp camping as such, but thanks to my relatively low END I got slow regen rate and had to camp alot....which ofcourse attracted a lot of critters. I should have used alot of more pots as I had them plenty, guess I just like to hoard em - bad habit I know.

For those interested, here iippo:
destroyer_iippo_lowres.jpg
destroyer_iippo_lowres.jpg (230.33 KiB) Viewed 2833 times
Stats:

STR 55 INT 7
DEX 31 WIS 15
END 20 PER 14
SPD 16 CON 14

Major skills (1's not included)

Alchemy 9
Divination 5
Heavy armour 19 (->dmg res only 23% Im not so sure if this was SO useful)
Cartography 8
Spot 4
Bow weapons 7 (used only for exploding goblins and escaping enemies)
Swords 38

Items
Grand helm +3
Mithril woven cloak +3
Amulet of protection
Adamantine chest plate +3
Divine ore great sword +3
Heavy plated belt +2
Steel plate gauntlets +3
Steel plate greaves +3
Mithril alloy chain boots +3
Ring of Assassin x2 (alchemy ring x2 too)

Most used buffs (both spells and pots)

Cats sight thingye (notice the opponents have hard time hitting you!)
Divine heal
Ogre strength
Stoneskin
Lore
Detox
Enchanted weapon

I got adamantine boots, helmet and gauntlets as well, but did have the spider silk to impute them +3. Luckily i never got rid of them before i found the imbue recipe.

I used to be pretty badass MIN-MAXer years ago in D&D (on and off "the paper") and I have still some old habits left - but I did "mistakes" on lot of things like order of reading books and using trainers forexample :)

Thanks for the good game!
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: New players first playthrough - destroyer ending (SPOILE

Post by Painted Lady »

Congrats on your play-through!

Re: your question about stats and how they affect different builds. There are many long discussions about how the different statistics work buried in the posts on this forum. If you just want a quick peek at building different characters there is an easy way to do so.

Start a new game and press F1 through F5. You will get 5 pre-made characters with what BW considers appropriate skills.

For example, a Rogue is really fun to play. You become a guy who uses a dagger and sneaks up on people. He relies on Spot Hidden and Hide in Shadows, etc. There are two types of Mages, a Ranger and a basic Warrior. Have fun...