The Strange Room Underneath Eastwillow [Spoilers]

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: The Strange Room Underneath Eastwillow [Spoilers]

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

I rather thought your second thought was well thought out.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Woah! That's some impressive thread necromancy.

I think that the large complex under the Covent was there long before Julian discovered it with the aid of the One. The complex may have been part of Westwillow, or even older than it. The miners were indeed guided by a strange force, maybe the One, but many decades ago?

EDIT: The breakable walls theory sounds boring. The other theory was better IMO.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I think the idea is that the One guided Julian to the room to recover the gold. Since he doesn't appear physically to his followers, he has to keep them funded somehow, right?

It's harder to explain why there's such a small amount of gold for such a large amount of work necessary to reach it. And for that matter, why anyone would bother to make a hidden vault to secure such a small amount of gold. For game balance reasons, it has to be an appropriate amount of gold for a low-level character, but there should be an in-game explanation as well. Maybe there are other nearby rooms with more gold in them? Or maybe the One knew there was a hidden cache but was mistaken about how much was in it? Or maybe the gold you get is a defense mechanism in itself - to try to convince a would-be thief that he's stolen the goods, while the real horde remains secure.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

SpottedShroom wrote:I think the idea is that the One guided Julian to the room to recover the gold. Since he doesn't appear physically to his followers, he has to keep them funded somehow, right?

It's harder to explain why there's such a small amount of gold for such a large amount of work necessary to reach it. And for that matter, why anyone would bother to make a hidden vault to secure such a small amount of gold. For game balance reasons, it has to be an appropriate amount of gold for a low-level character, but there should be an in-game explanation as well. Maybe there are other nearby rooms with more gold in them? Or maybe the One knew there was a hidden cache but was mistaken about how much was in it? Or maybe the gold you get is a defense mechanism in itself - to try to convince a would-be thief that he's stolen the goods, while the real horde remains secure.
Humm, makes me want to try another run-thru and NOT go in there until a much higher level to see if $ is higher. But, not for a while though..working on another idea.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Why do you all think that Julian had the entire complex built? It is clearly a very old thing, older than Eastwillow. It couldn't have possibly been "expanded" by a single person... *the argument descends into barely audible murmurs*