[Suggestion] Hardcore mode with permadeath !

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Altefcat
Initiate

[Suggestion] Hardcore mode with permadeath !

Post by Altefcat »

Wouldn't it be nice ? A mode where you save only when you exit the game, you load only when you launch the game, and if you die, you just have to start from the beginning...
dak
Marshall

Post by dak »

I already play this way, just don't use the save load system Would be cool though to have it like you said too... or maybe have it like you said but if you die you cannot load instead you just lose XP and wake up inside some temple or some such?
Altefcat
Initiate

Post by Altefcat »

I'd stay with the permadeath way. When death of your character is not a big deal (because you can load back a previous save, or continue from a spawning point), you tend to play uncautiously.

Roguelikes are great for that : they have minimal graphics, but you care for your character like in no other game I know.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Re: [Suggestion] Hardcore mode with permadeath !

Post by Dragonlady »

Altefcat wrote:Wouldn't it be nice ? A mode where you save only when you exit the game, you load only when you launch the game, and if you die, you just have to start from the beginning...
In my opinion, no. You see I get Carpal Tunnel Syndrome very easily and having to restart over and over again gets painful and boring. Of course, there could be a preference spot to check if you like doing things that way or do it the way it is now. I especially like the Quicksave. :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
VPeric
Steward

Post by VPeric »

You don't need a built-in mechanic to do this - just use your own willpower! And if you want to play Ironman, you probably do have willpower. ;)

I've personally reloaded only once - when I felt that beating a goblin warlord should give me more than bromme, an empty flask and 12 gold - but other than that, I play ironman. And I didn't need a separate game mechanic to pull it off.
PhilosophiX
Marshall

Post by PhilosophiX »

I think I'm going to play Iron man from now on... that sounds cool.
What is a man, If his chief good and market of his time Be but to sleep and feed? a beast, no more. Sure, he that made us with such large discourse, Looking before and after, gave us not that capability and god-like reason to fust in us unused.
Altefcat
Initiate

Post by Altefcat »

Dragonlady wrote:I especially like the Quicksave. :)
It seems to me that you especially like the quickload :) . Anyway I was only proposing to add permadeath, not to change the usual way of playing.
VPeric wrote:You don't need a built-in mechanic to do this - just use your own willpower! And if you want to play Ironman, you probably do have willpower. ;)
Unfortunately, not enough... Besides, why not add a ladder on the website where you could publish your best ironmode score ?
screeg
Marshall

Post by screeg »

What I'd like to see more is a couple of difficulty levels, with what we're playing being default, then another level with scaled up enemy life points and ToHit bonuses and higher chances of rest being interrupted, etc.
Cyclopean - an HP Lovecraft inspired Role-Playing Game