just how balanced and bug free is the game?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
dak
Marshall

just how balanced and bug free is the game?

Post by dak »

I've played a lot and I've run into quite a few bugs / problems, and I want to start a new char anyway... so I am thinking about waiting until there is a couple of more patches out before I go at it again.

What do you guys think of the status of the game? better to wait or start a new char already with version 1.01 ?
Last edited by dak on November 23rd, 2007, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amasius
Apprentice

Post by Amasius »

I finished the game with version 1.01 and had only some minor problems. Nothing a reload couldn't solve.
Rollor
Marshall

Post by Rollor »

Well I haven't had a crash yet but i've only played the demo so far :/.. Stíll I think the games is in pretty good shape already :)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Version 1.02, available next week, should plug any remaining holes in the game- but I am very happy with the overall stability of it even from initial release.
dak
Marshall

Post by dak »

I meant problems such as my spells dissapearing, or balance problem! I am very impressed with the stability.. sorry if I made it a bit confusing!

I changed the title to make it much more clear!
Last edited by dak on November 23rd, 2007, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
dryden
Apprentice

Post by dryden »

Very stable for a new game. I crashed out once, but I think that might have been more of a system/hardware thing as I had to clean up some stuff. You Can run the game with other applications open, although with some it will change the screen size, but I do not think that is a problem with Eschalon. Fast patches and an active online presence here is a distinct advantage.

My screen gadgets (Vista) move to the center, you would think the eggheads in Redmond would have cemented them in place even if the screen resolution changes, if you turn off the sidebar before playing, they will be normal when you start sidebar again.
DTravel
Initiate

Post by DTravel »

Very stable and bug free.

Completely unbalanced.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

DTravel wrote:Completely unbalanced.
If you can elaborate on this, we'd love to try to make the game more enjoyable for you. From your other comments, it looks like you are finding the game too hard. However, a few others are finding it too easy, but most have told us it's just about right.

This is about the best case scenario for an RPG, because everyone plays their characters differently and everyone is going to have a different opinion on the game's difficulty.
Rollor
Marshall

Post by Rollor »

sniff sniff i smell a poll...
Jaesun
Senior Steward

Post by Jaesun »

I bought the game, I find it very stable and bug free (1.01), and am enjoying it greatly so far.

What bugs have you encountered? I have not experienced any.
Allorman
Initiate

Post by Allorman »

With 1.01 many of the bugs seem to be fixed, however I still run into occasional bugs that are usually not game breaking. One, e.g., caused a total system shut-down after I completed a quest then opened my map. There's one where enemies can get "trapped" inside a zone transition if they flee from you and have nowhere else to run to. This can cause one quest I know of to be unbeatable.

Magick using is where my complaint as to balance would be. Namely, many skills can be completely neglected by the pure magick-user that a non-magick user will find essential to succeeding at the game.

Furthermore, combat even as a fledgling caster is ridiculously easy. It boils down to casting until you run out of MPs, running away to rest until you're full again, rinse repeat. Non-casters have to be much more cautious and prudent in combat, have a disadvantage at night that casters don't have to worry about, and have to burn through far more money on equipment, potions and materials for alchemy.
Noceur
Initiate

Post by Noceur »

I've had real luck as I haven't run across any bugs at all.

I personally love the difficulty in this game. It was real damn hard in the beginning (pure melee and I only found apples and crap in containers), but much easier now that I'm lvl 10. But the great thing is, I can still get killed real quick if I'm not careful. The result is that I don't feel the game is easy at this stage, rather that my character is getting powerful. The game still requires tactics.

I play a melee build, but have Divination 5, Elemental 1 for the buffs and heal.

This is my first playthrough, so I can't really comment on overall balance, other than that with my build it seems balanced.
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

I have found the game to be very stable and relatively bug free. But , I have notice on occasion that during a ramdon encounter after resting members of the attacking party materalize in the forest stuck among the trees, if you are resting close to trees. The same thing also occurs in the dungeons the attacker will materalizes in the black areas of dungeon within the walls. Of course this means that you cannot be attack by them, but you cannot attack them either. The area also becomes off limits to resting since the attacker is stuck there. But overall very bug-free.
History is written by the winners!
Noceur
Initiate

Post by Noceur »

realmzmaster wrote: But , I have notice on occasion that during a ramdon encounter after resting members of the attacking party materalize in the forest stuck among the trees, if you are resting close to trees.
Now that you mention it, this has happened to me as well. Could get bad if it happened a lot in the same dungeon. Besides it ruins the fourth wall.
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Post by GSV3MiaC »

I'd rate it as pretty good. There is a lurking 'restore comes up with a random location' bug which is easy to work around (second time it'll work), and a ton of typos, but that about it so far.