Trainers for skills? (possible spoilers)

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Loriac
Senior Steward

Trainers for skills? (possible spoilers)

Post by Loriac »

What skills have trainers in this game? So far I have seen cartography, alchemy, bows, swords, blunt weapons, cleaving weapons, divination and elemental magic (i.e. Aridell, Border Town, Blackwater).

Are there any other trainers out there? Specifically, I'm curious if the armor skills have trainers.

In a similar vein, do all skills have an associated book to go with them? Again, I've seen most skills seem to have books, but one notable exception so far seems to be heavy armor - has the RNG just been unkind to me?
Amasius
Apprentice

Post by Amasius »

Well, I found a book for heavy armor so I guess there is a book for every skill.
Josia
Senior Steward

Re: Trainers for skills? (possible spoilers)

Post by Josia »

Loriac wrote:Are there any other trainers out there?
You've already found the trainer, but for some reason Thrown didn't make it on your list.
Michi
Apprentice

Specific list?

Post by Michi »

Hi,

Can I get a more explicit list of which town has which trainers?

Now that I have played a bit, I want to restart and maximize my points a bit.

So, I know that the Cartography trainer is in Arindell.

Where are the rest that you mention?

Thanks,
Michi
VPeric
Steward

Post by VPeric »

Alchemy, thrown weapon and bows are in Bordertown, and everything else is in Blacktower? Blacktown? Erm... the third town.
Josia
Senior Steward

Re: Specific list?

Post by Josia »

Michi wrote:Hi,

Can I get a more explicit list of which town has which trainers?

Now that I have played a bit, I want to restart and maximize my points a bit.

So, I know that the Cartography trainer is in Arindell.

Where are the rest that you mention?

Thanks,
Michi
SPOILER wrote:Aridell: Cartography (Must complete quest)
Bordertown: Weapon: Archery, Weapon: Thrown, Alchemy
Blackwater: Arcane: Divination, Arcane: Elemental, Weapon: Swords, Weapon: Cleaving, Weapon: Bashing
Michi
Apprentice

Post by Michi »

Ok, I am level 4 and just tried to find Bordertown... got killed on the road, so it seems those trainers (assuming the limit is level 5 on the training) are not really that useful, except maybe the alchemy, if I hold off till then.
Josia
Senior Steward

Post by Josia »

Michi wrote:Ok, I am level 4 and just tried to find Bordertown... got killed on the road, so it seems those trainers (assuming the limit is level 5 on the training) are not really that useful, except maybe the alchemy, if I hold off till then.
It's possible to get not only to Bordertown but to Blackwater at Level 1, although the journey requires already knowing how to get there, some patience, and (in my case) a haste potion.
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Post by GSV3MiaC »

Given the goblin 'porter is bugged (maybe fixed now) you can get there (Blackwater) right quick. 8>.
elkston
Apprentice

Post by elkston »

Michi wrote:Ok, I am level 4 and just tried to find Bordertown... got killed on the road, so it seems those trainers (assuming the limit is level 5 on the training) are not really that useful, except maybe the alchemy, if I hold off till then.
The best thing about trainers is that they allow you to initially learn a skill without having to give up 3 skill points. The 3 SKP entry fee for new skills is very expensive so it should be used sparingly. In fact, I would advise that you only use 3 SKPs to get new skills at character creation. The rest of the time SKPs should only be used to improve existing entries.
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

GSV3MiaC wrote:Given the goblin 'porter is bugged (maybe fixed now) you can get there (Blackwater) right quick. 8>.
I know this is an old topic, but could you explain this one to me Thanks.
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
Loriac
Senior Steward

Post by Loriac »

Necromis wrote:
GSV3MiaC wrote:Given the goblin 'porter is bugged (maybe fixed now) you can get there (Blackwater) right quick. 8>.
I know this is an old topic, but could you explain this one to me Thanks.
Try each of the transporters once you get them up and running (they are found in a house fairly early in the game). One of these will transport you close to Blackwater, from a location where its possible to access the city relatively easily.

The bug allowed you to use a couple of common items to make the transporters work (i.e. things you found early in the game) rather than having to use an item you only normally find much later.

So, with the bug, you could make them work and transport near to the city without having to work through some dangerous (for low level characters) areas.
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

Well I have found the one in the priests house by grimhold west area. Is there one in airdell that I missed? What item short of the ingredients do you need for portals? I activated the one in his house. Color me stupid for this conversation and hold my hand. LOL ;)
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
punter x
Initiate

Post by punter x »

i can only remember needing ingredients to activate the one near bordertown . normally one of the ingredients needed was ectoplasm (you find out the ingredients by reading the letter that you deliver to the captain of darkford) which you couldn't get early on but with the bug you could just add another bromine and ambergris to the ones already there instead (and remove the other 2 things) and the portal would be activated.

the portal takes you to one of the goblin maps to the south. once there another portal beside it (it's already activated) would take you to the blackwater map thus saving you the somewhat difficult (at low level anyway) task of running through the forest to get access to the trainers there without bumping up your skills

with that said i've never tried it as i had presumed that the bug had been cleared up
Forest
Initiate

Post by Forest »

Try the rogue path 8)
Best regards