Questions about Book II

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Claw
Apprentice

Questions about Book II

Post by Claw »

I had a question and so I thought I'd make a thread on the subject.

So here's mine:

Will I be able to import my character from Book I into Book II?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Maybe.

How's that for an answer?! :)

Seriously, it's just way too early for a Book II Q&A Thread because we are still neck-deep in Book I right now (finishing the Mac version, Linux version, shipping CDs, and promotional stuff). Remember, we still need to sell Book I before Book II is a solid reality. It has had a decent first week, but we need a couple months of good sales to justify the investment.

So, pleases continue to put ideas in the Book II forum, but forgive me if most of your questions go unanswered for now. :wink:
dagorkan
Initiate

Post by dagorkan »

What's a 'decent' first week? 500? 2000?
Jaesun
Senior Steward

Post by Jaesun »

dagorkan wrote:What's a 'decent' first week? 500? 2000?
He can't answer that question, for obvious reasons.

I just hope sales are going good. *crosses fingers*.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Jaesun wrote:
dagorkan wrote:What's a 'decent' first week? 500? 2000?
He can't answer that question, for obvious reasons.

I just hope sales are going good. *crosses fingers*.
I have been wondering about the sales and how many it needs to sell to make sense to make book II. My guess is somewhere around 5000 or so. Im guessing its tough to sell an indy game without mainstream media attention and hype.

It's sad but one small article in a major game magazine would probably boost sales big time.
vid
Senior Steward

Post by vid »

Saxon1974 wrote: It's sad but one small article in a major game magazine would probably boost sales big time.
I think BasiliskW awaits 2-3 reviews from european mags.
Of course he has to be lucky to get a reviewer who will look beyond the graphics and generally likes SP-(old school)-RPGs at all, (sadly the mags eyes are mostly on WOW and MMORPGs now.) or at least points out some strong points of the game so that readers can decide for themself.
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Post by GSV3MiaC »

He's probably do better with online review sites. Games mags are funded largely by the advertisers, which is why cr&p games get good reviews, and why I quit buying them years ago (I still have the first 6-7 years of 'strategy plus' around someplace, if someone wants to bid)
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

vid wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote: It's sad but one small article in a major game magazine would probably boost sales big time.
I think BasiliskW awaits 2-3 reviews from european mags.
Of course he has to be lucky to get a reviewer who will look beyond the graphics and generally likes SP-(old school)-RPGs at all, (sadly the mags eyes are mostly on WOW and MMORPGs now.) or at least points out some strong points of the game so that readers can decide for themself.
MMO's are killing CRPG's! Unfortunately its a big way to make money since they can get thousands paying monthly. Sadly they just dont offer the experience I am looking for and I don't think they can.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

GSV3MiaC wrote:He's probably do better with online review sites. Games mags are funded largely by the advertisers, which is why cr&p games get good reviews, and why I quit buying them years ago (I still have the first 6-7 years of 'strategy plus' around someplace, if someone wants to bid)
Your right, computer gaming world used to be a great magazine, I have been getting it since the late 80's but cancelled my subscription recently.
sapper_astro
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by sapper_astro »

He should go for the Mac crowd in a big way. Vogel makes a good killing in this department, and Mac reviewers tend to take on Indy's much more easily, with less corruption needed to get their attention.
muze
Initiate

Post by muze »

Re: transferring character. IF this is a reality, what files should be saved... is there a character folder/file or the save games or both...
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

I think I may be in the minority here, but I don't think the main character should be used in the following game. Its a given many things will change from book 1 to book 2...things may get more complex...more skills etc....and this character from book 1 is already pretty buffed up...so it would be a balancing nightmare to make that work.

What I would not mind seeing is the ability to uppload your character from book 1 into book 2 as a npc character somehow that could be very interesting.
alpha
Steward

Post by alpha »

Rune_74 wrote:things may get more complex...more skills etc
If so, you're not in minority :)
Incinerator Fuel = Pure Ownage xD
Nakayar
Initiate

Post by Nakayar »

My character is an absolute beast, I would love to have him in the next game. But I can't imagine how that would work, because everyone who was starting afresh would either be incapable of playing or my guy would coast.

I really don't want to see my character imported but then severely weakened somehow. I don't want to hear: Ok, load your character. Oh, sorry he got amnesia again and was robbed by the Orakur. Hah!

Perhaps if Book II is split into campaigns, and the second or third campaign would be an equivalent power level to the end of Book I then the character could be imported into that point. But that would mean either a very quick powerlevel curve or the imported character misses out on a large chunk of the game.

The one thing that bothers me though is how much time I spent making my character stronger and getting more attached to him, but being unable to continue after finishing the game. So if somehow you could be convinced to make Book II an expansion and not a sequel... well I'd be quite happy. Your new customers would just have to buy Book I and II, which would be good for you... Yeah, who am I kidding.

If the character isn't importable, he better be an NPC present in the world (in the lore somehow at the very least, yeah sure there was no public ceremony but word of the new elite figher/archmage/hero would get around) and you could either dance around the name or just reveal the pre-amnesia name.
sarvadi
Apprentice

Post by sarvadi »

Nakayar wrote:My character is an absolute beast, I would love to have him in the next game. But I can't imagine how that would work, because everyone who was starting afresh would either be incapable of playing or my guy would coast.

I really don't want to see my character imported but then severely weakened somehow. I don't want to hear: Ok, load your character. Oh, sorry he got amnesia again and was robbed by the Orakur. Hah!

Perhaps if Book II is split into campaigns, and the second or third campaign would be an equivalent power level to the end of Book I then the character could be imported into that point. But that would mean either a very quick powerlevel curve or the imported character misses out on a large chunk of the game.

The one thing that bothers me though is how much time I spent making my character stronger and getting more attached to him, but being unable to continue after finishing the game. So if somehow you could be convinced to make Book II an expansion and not a sequel... well I'd be quite happy. Your new customers would just have to buy Book I and II, which would be good for you... Yeah, who am I kidding.

If the character isn't importable, he better be an NPC present in the world (in the lore somehow at the very least, yeah sure there was no public ceremony but word of the new elite figher/archmage/hero would get around) and you could either dance around the name or just reveal the pre-amnesia name.
Oh wait, you mean Book II will be a whole new game? So whatever character I develop in Book I will be lost?? :((