How am I supposed to complete it?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: How am I supposed to complete it?

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Randomizer wrote:You can't use lock melt on a level 10 lock, but enough lock picking skill and the complementary stats will give you a small chance.
I think that's erroneous. I believe you can use Lock Melt, it just won't melt the lock the first time. You actually have to do it a few times. Been a while since I've done it, though, so I could be misremembering.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

SpottedShroom wrote:There are some other cheesy-ish options for defeating Ghorr. You can run and hide in the treasure room with the combination lock on the west side of the area. He's too big to pursue you. Along similar lines, if you happen to be carrying a ton of powder kegs, you could use those to trap him or restrict his movement as people commonly do with the Stone Golem in Fathamurk.
I just thought of an even cheesier way of defeating him. First I go back to previous save and gain 2-3 levels. Then when I am ready, I fight him alone after taking down other tauraxes, lure him to the lava and make sure he fights me while on the lava. With 20 damage every time he fails a save+plus my own damage and he might just fall. Thanks to all of you for tips.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Not entirely, I think. But it would still be a grind of epic proportions.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

I just checked and 30% of the time he resists so that 70% will actually do something. I always wondered why sometimes his health was at 1/8 right before I fought him. He's still definitely a tank and I wonder if its possible to get an even reasonably moderate evasion rating against him. Usually he hits 95% of the time regardless.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

I think it was changed and I think of it this way. Im glad that he does get hurt by the flames because General Ghorr is probably the most physically imposing enemy Ive fought in a rpg. Not even Sarevok was that bad although he wasnt easy. I always like that in a rpg although it would be cool if in the next game there was an archer/ranged weapons expert for a main bad guy :twisted:

Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

deathknight1728 wrote:I think it was changed and I think of it this way. Im glad that he does get hurt by the flames because General Ghorr is probably the most physically imposing enemy Ive fought in a rpg. Not even Sarevok was that bad although he wasnt easy. I always like that in a rpg although it would be cool if in the next game there was an archer/ranged weapons expert for a main bad guy :twisted:
Agreed a thousand times! One of the most requested monsters for Book III is a bandit/outlander/etc. with a bow. I also think that there should be normal archers as town guards.
Morgan Terror
Steward

Post by Morgan Terror »

Sparrow kind of counts, but she isn't too tough once you've figured out how to kill her.

SPOILER
The One may very well be a ranged attacker though, based on what we've seen.
/SPOILER

The goblin archers in I were a pain, but i did appreciate them as enemies. That, and throwing a demon oil II onto that raft in Vela never gets old.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Morgan Terror wrote:The goblin archers in I were a pain, but i did appreciate them as enemies. That, and throwing a demon oil II onto that raft in Vela never gets old.
Yeah, but I still wish I could go out to that raft and see what's in the loot bags they drop. ;-) The goblin archers were cool, though the way Air Shield worked in Book I made them eminently beatable with certain kinds of characters. I liked in Vela trying to get the bomb thugs and the archers to bunch up and see how many I could kill with a single arrow. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:I liked in Vela trying to get the bomb thugs and the archers to bunch up and see how many I could kill with a single arrow. ;-)
I thought the bomb thugs were a terrific idea for an enemy. Most of the time the monsters/enemies are fairly predictable across all games - dragons, warriors, lizards, etc. The bomb boys showed a great deal of creativity by Thomas. They are one of the little extra touches that make Eschalon special.
Morgan Terror
Steward

Post by Morgan Terror »

I think the problem with the bombthugs was that you absolutely had to had some kind of ranged attack on you in order to complete the game, limiting character variety. In II you didn't. Until the lava slags arrived, that is, but even they are in an optional area.

I recall killing two archers and a bombthug with the last arrow i had, on the other side of the damaged wooden bridge right at the end of the Vela area, while on low health. It was the best thing ever.

The goblins were fun in general. They were actively trying to screw you over, unlike the rest of the enemies. In addition to that, they die easily, drop items, and there's loads of them.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

That was what I liked about Book 1- The ranged experts were very present. The archers were fun to take down for melee but I found the bomb thugs to be easy once I killed most things with 1 shot. They would die before they blew up.

Book 2 is more gung-ho on the melee opponents. I still have to save sometimes when fighting a group of 5 devlimanders due to poison. Its not that they are tough, its moreso that they poison and are deadly when you get poisoned twice in a row.

Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

I only ever finished Book I with melee characters, and I never had a problem with the Bomb thugs. I actually found it a challenge to attack them, and try to survive the blast.
deathknight1728 wrote:they poison and are deadly when you get poisoned twice in a row.
That is, until you get endurance up to 42+, at which point you regen 1 HP per turn. With that, you can take up to 8 poison bouts of poison at once. (As the poison damage deals every 8 turns). I actually brought this up in my Fathamurk Walkthrough as it certainly helps with the "Path of Greatest Resistance". I usually only took 6 bouts when walking through that.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

It's actually possible to avoid the explosion of a bombthug. They're kind of dim-witted, and may explode after you have dodged to a nearby tile.
Morgan Terror
Steward

Post by Morgan Terror »

I've never had the points to invest in endurance. Pure fighters need 2 points per level in strength just to carry their gear, and the rest goes into dexterity or speed for me. In fact, i have more trouble with the devilmander's damage and hitrate than i have with their poison, since i usually have a detox spell handy.

Frankly, i've never dared to engage the bombthugs in melee since it seemed a rather stupid idea. But if you can trick them, that's a different matter.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

You can get by without super-heavy gear as a melee fighter if you pump just Endurance and your weapon skill in the early game. Once you get to 1 HP/turn regeneration, you can switch to Strength and work on upgrading your kit.