Why things break so quickly?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Nebell
Pledge

Why things break so quickly?

Post by Nebell »

I went underground in that first town (below the dam), killed few zombies and skeletons and suddenly half of my items got destroyed! I barely even started exploring the zone.
This does not sound normal.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Why things break so quickly?

Post by Randomizer »

Starting area items are from flimsier materials. They need to be repaired or swapped.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

When you started the game you had a screen that showed several options. One of them referred to "equipment wear and tear." If you turn it off when you begin play your weapons and clothes will not wear out.

Since you are wearing out your equipment you have some choices. You can go to see Keebo the blacksmith and pay him to repair your equipment. Or, the next time you level up you can buy the ability "Repair." Then, every time you rest you will automatically do the repairs yourself. There are also gloves you can buy that will give you the repair ability. They often show up in the second town.
Nebell
Pledge

Post by Nebell »

I know how to repair and I know about the other stuff that can help out.
My issue is getting into a fight with a several monsters (not at the same time) and suddenly finding out that my just repaired gear got broken.

This is pretty game breaking for me. I liked the game up until that part.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Nebell wrote:I know how to repair and I know about the other stuff that can help out.
My issue is getting into a fight with a several monsters (not at the same time) and suddenly finding out that my just repaired gear got broken.

This is pretty game breaking for me. I liked the game up until that part.
While it's close to the first town, what that shows you is that the stuff under the dam is really a harder area you might want to come back to when you have better gear and higher level.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Yeah, I agree with Kreador.
While it's true that your equipment shouldn't be breaking this quickly, it is probably at least in part due tot he fact that Westwillow is a very challenging area. I suggest you wait until fairly mid to late game to go into the dam. Your equipment shouldn't break so easily against monsters closer to your level.
If this still doesn't help, maybe you aren't repairing often enough.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests