Railroading... [SPOILER]

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Loriac
Senior Steward

Railroading... [SPOILER]

Post by Loriac »

Ok, so I decided to see what would happen if I tried to rob the bank.

On first attempt, I got thrown naked into the pen with the two beholder type objects. Ok, fair enough, bless + haste, lets see what they've got...

About 15 rounds later, I'm staring at the stars as if for the first time...

Ok, reload, lets change a couple of things.

Up go bless, nimbleness, haste, etc at level 6. Talk to the vault keeper, get thrown in the pen again. Kill the two beholders hardly breaking a sweat. Ok, so now how do we get out of here... Ok, no way out. Should've seen that coming, my character is supposed to be intelligent, he'd have come up with a contingency, surely. Anyway, reload time...

Right, third time's the charm. Acquire portal, store all gear into barrels etc (including the passkey 26, because we don't want to break the game in case our stuff is lost forever). Go in, but set portal in the Blackwater Inn hidden room. Fight beholders, kill them, evac out using the portal. Right, time to pay the vaultkeeper a visit and teach him a thing or two...

'Loading' pops up as we try to enter the vault again, and... we're dumped into the pen.

I wonder what would have happened if I'd set a portal just before talking to the vault keeper, but I suspect it would probably just break the game at that point.

Ok, so my point... why the railroading? As its currently set, it seems that the game assumes you will die when you get thrown into the pen. If this is the case, just put up a message saying that, rather than pretending that you have a fighting chance. If you can somehow get out of the situation, how do you do it?
agnari
Senior Steward

Post by agnari »

i saved after opening mine and lillith's rooms and then right before i left.

i was able to kill the 4 guards there but didn't see any upside to it other then the xp, still can't get into any of the other vaults without the 'keys' which the guards didn't have.

there are 3 named faults so i could have missed something and maybe you can get into them????
Adventuring my way thru RPGs one pixel at a time.
tungprc
Marshall

Post by tungprc »

BW said that the vault will be more accessible in a planned expansion. Right now, you can only enter 15 and 26 without a hex editor.
Loriac
Senior Steward

Post by Loriac »

Yes, I saw the post that BW made, looks quite interesting in terms of adding some content to the vault.

However, my post was on a different point - if you beat the magic eye creatures, and have had the foresight to set up a portal beforehand, you can escape the prison.

However, when you then try to reenter the vault, instead of going down the stairs as normal, you get dumped back into the prison. If this is intended, then I think its not the best design choice.

If its not intended, then I guess its a bug.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Loriac- you have outsmarted me. :wink:

I assumed that being thrown in the cage with the Dimension Eyes was certain death. I never considered that someone would think to set a portal up and escape. This will probably get fixed when I make an add-on quest for the game later.

Very clever!
Loriac
Senior Steward

Post by Loriac »

No worries, Portal can be a wonderfully abusive spell if used correctly... :lol:

Another great use for it is when you have to play the pack mule in one of the other quests.

Just a quick thought, I would seriously consider beefing up the two magic eyes - they really weren't all that tough. I can imagine for a character spec'd as an unarmed combatant, they would hardly pose a threat.

For reference, my character was level 9 or 10 when he was thrown into the prison, with no unarmed skill and no dodge skill. However, he seemed to resist the magic attacks quite well (spec'd as a magic user, with high perception and reasonable int) and throwing up haste / bless / nimbleness etc meant he was able to take them out.

Bearing in mind the storyline behind the vault, I would also strengthen the guards and probably have a few more just wandering the corriders of the vault. When I decided to kill them before going into the vault, I think each one took about 2 hits to die, with the whole encounter lasting about 5 or so rounds. Again, this wasn't a level 15 character, but around level 10.

Anyway, I look forward to robbing the vault in a future content add-on :twisted:
Effidian
Steward

Post by Effidian »

I actually killed the eyes from the outside using Demon Oil, and then ported in to look for a way out. But realized that I was then just a prisoner without any eyes to play with...
aerius
Pledge

Stuck in jail

Post by aerius »

So i decided to see what happens if i agrevated the little goblin guard at the bank . So i get tossed into a cell with the two eyeballs and begin hammering on them with some poison and fire.. After killing them I am stuck can I escape?? Luckily i set a portal before entering the jail but now have no gear.. Is this truly a dead end??
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

The Vault prison cell is meant to be a dead end, but several ingenious individuals have found away around dying in the cell. But upon returning to the vault get thrown back into the cell. Actually it is to your benefit to be nice in the Vault unless you have no plans on returning. Right now there is no reason to loot the Vault. The add-on may give us a reason to want to break the bank!
History is written by the winners!
mark
Apprentice

Post by mark »

You can escape using the portal, but all your stuff is gone.