Merchants running out of gold too quickly? (A Workaround)

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
tungprc
Marshall

Merchants running out of gold too quickly? (A Workaround)

Post by tungprc »

This is just a little trick I use to so I don't have to run to all over the place selling my loot. If I'm selling to a merchant and he runs out of money, I just save my game, go into the save folder and delete the merchantname.mer file and then reload the save. The merchant will have a new random inventory and a new stash of gold. I find this especially helpful in the early game because there are hundreds of barrels and chests and only 3 merchants to sell to. It becomes less of a problem once you have visited all the villages.
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Post by GSV3MiaC »

You must have better drops than me, I only ran out one merchant once, and that was near the end when I'd done th Goblin stronghold.
AUDAN
Apprentice

Post by AUDAN »

Hmmm "better drops" is evasive concept :) Reloading for better drops... you know...

I think they have money enough for normal drop rates :)

And they have new equipment and money every week i.e 7 ingame day/hight changes ofcourse :)

I see with the Chronometer (Eschalon's item like a clock) that 1 round is 1 ingame minute :)

The "merchantname.mer" abuse is not fair in principal, but afterall it's the same like sleeping ingame for 7 days so I think it's reasonable method to save some time :)
tungprc
Marshall

Post by tungprc »

I'm playing a munchkin game, so I save and reload chests, barrels, bodies, etc until I get a decent piece. With all the good loot, I constantly need filled up merchants :D Why am I playing a munchkin game? I'm playing an arcanist (Elemental/Divine mage) and the spells cost a ton! Besides that, it's fun. I'll sometimes reload a chest 20 times to get a decent piece of equipment.
Noru
Apprentice

Post by Noru »

At the beginning, I was patient enough to reload more than 100 times at a chest to help my pure mage to get a +5 meditation necklace :D But it worth the time, as now I regen 1 mana in every 3 rounds (best)
Exodus
Initiate

Post by Exodus »

AUDAN wrote:I see with the Chronometer (Eschalon's item like a clock) that 1 round is 1 ingame minute :)
So much for the speed attribute. That's one thorough swordstrike ;)
It is preferential to refrain from the utilisation of grandiose verbiace in the circumstance that ones intellectualisation can be expressed using comparatively simplistic lexilogical entities.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

I noticed something yesterday and haven't had a chance to recheck it yet. I went to Brodertown to the blacksmith to sell off some loot. He had about 2500 gold give or take a few coins. When he got down to about 250 coins left and still had a few items left to sell that would have wiped him out. Instead of going to another town, I bought one item of the cheapest thing there (I had realized I didn't have one). Instantly the blacksmith had over 2000 gold in his cash drawer!

Could someone check this out if you get the chance? I'm going to try the next time I have a big haul. Not sure if its a bug or something to exploit. :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!