Speed vs graphics preferences

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.

Which way would you prefer Eschalon to be?

As it is now: with pretty detailed graphics, effects, animations, but with a somewhat limited walking speed
90%
With simpler, perhaps more abstract graphics, but a swifter and more efficient walking speed and therefore playing speed
10%

Total votes: 48

Slarty
Marshall

Speed vs graphics preferences

Post by Slarty »

Since it seems Eschalon's very cool, detailed graphics are at least partly responsible for the relatively slow movement speed, perhaps this is a fairer question to ask.
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

I think this really depends on your machine....it runs at a fine pace on my machine....The character walks at a rate that would be normal for his size. I have no slowdown in combat or anything.

Part of what makes Eschalons atmosphere work is the detailed lighting etc...I'm not sure what some people are saying about slow movement though, since it seems smooth for me. On two different systems....granted both my systems are not old computers and they can run oblivion no prob.
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

Since I have no problem with the speed issue. I voted for more detailed graphics, lighting etc. Game runs smoothly on my machine. I do not have the lastest or greatest machine, but like Rune_74, I can run Oblivion at the highest detail. Absolutely no problem with Titan Quest, NWN II or Dungeon Siege II. YMMV :wink:
History is written by the winners!
farvardin
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by farvardin »

on my computer, oblivion, titan quest, loki and such, with the lowest settings, are unplayable (and ugly) because they are so slow... (guild war is running smoothly on the other hand, with average to high settings).

And Eschalon is running smoothly too, with no speed problem. My graphical card is nvidia 6100 (integrated hardware).
I can encounter some freeze during the game though (I've noticed it in the first linux beta), but it appeared twice or 3 times during 3 hours of play... (by freeze I mean it temporary froze for 10 or 15 seconds, and we could continue to play after that)

I think the great and detailled graphics are a part of the enjoyable mood given by Eschalon !
Last edited by farvardin on December 20th, 2007, 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Right now the game is border line for my machine with distinct slowing in town and fighting swarms of monsters.

Fixing the graphics so it requires less effort for the machines would be better. I don't want to upgrade just to play games.
Josia
Senior Steward

Post by Josia »

Effects and animations are bells and whistles to me for sure, but I also have no real problems with speed whatsoever. Therefore, I voted for the first option as well.
Forest
Initiate

Post by Forest »

It's must be optional!
The walking speed doesn't depend from graphics!
Best regards
Slarty
Marshall

Post by Slarty »

The reason I did not give a third option, is that if you find the walking speed adequate on your computer, obviously you can vote for the first one.

My performance rating is fairly low and according to the game it's very good, but it's not at a 2 or 3 like somebody else mentioned. BW, what is the highest performance rating you can have without having speed adversely impacted?
dak
Marshall

Post by dak »

Fixing the graphics so it requires less effort for the machines would be better. I don't want to upgrade just to play games.
Did you try setting it to 16 color mode, and low resolution from options menu ??
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

I have no trouble with walking when using my laptop, but when using my old G4 it is slow moving around in towns, countryside and dungeons its normal. Doesn't bother me.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Feidb
Apprentice

Post by Feidb »

I wouldn't be adverse to a little faster walking, or running, especially when covering a lot of ground, but for normal playing I didn't have much of a problem with it. I have an AMD Dual core running at 2.2 Ghz and a Radeon X700 card and I've never had the slightest hesitation or glitch with graphics. I really like the graphics. Of course, I'd like more detail, but that's okay.

I'd also like to see more freedom on the map to be able to roam freely through the forests instead of being limited to the walking path. However, it's not that big of a deal either.
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

What Randomizer said brings us to the crux of the problem. He said
The point is games have always pushed the edge of computer technology foward. One of the basic reasons for improve computer technology is because people wanted better graphics (eye candy) and sound along with excellent game play coupled with ease of use. No one is asking anyone to upgrade to play games. But, most moderate to serious gamers do. What you want is the designer to dumb down the graphics to fit your machine, which involves far more work (development time) and the number of sales he may receive do not cover the costs. No that is a quick ticket to oblivion. Far better he learn from his first game to make the second game better. (Which I am sure BW is doing.)

Many people here also play Oblivion by Bethesda Softworks. Oblivion requires a 3 Ghz, 1 GB Ram, Nvidia Geforce 6800 machine to run well. The same with Titan Quest, NWN2. If you want to play Oblivion you upgrade your machine. Nobody runs to Bethesda and saids dumb down your graphic engine. Just because Eschalon looks like an old school CRPG that is by design. Eschalon has many different, subtle impressive effects.

Many people want to compare Eschalon with Baldur's Gate in terms of technology. But most forget that when BG came out it was close to cutting edge with the Infinity Engine. Eschalon has more going on than BG did. Eschalon is an old school look in a new school package.
History is written by the winners!
LethalBlade
Apprentice

Post by LethalBlade »

Definitely the first option. I have no slowdowns whatsoever, game runs perfectly. Eschalon has quite possibly the best graphics and effects of any current indie CRPG. It adds a lot to the atmosphere.

Besides, not for nothing, but if your PC is having trouble running Eschalon, it's probably from the stone age (time for a new one).
Shoveler
Initiate

Post by Shoveler »

Agree with Lethal, if your machine can't hand this game then you obviously haven't upgraded in at least several years. That's your choice, but the rest of the world isn't gonna wait for you, or make significant changes to drag you kicking and screaming forward. Upgrade your machines already people, not just for this game, but for the many other cool games out there as well. The program isn't the problem here at all.
Laudimir
Apprentice

Post by Laudimir »

Out of curiosity, why does no one suggest increasing graphic disabling options, similar to other (commercial) games). This would help solve the problem-both groups get what they want, and the customer base is expanded (if only slightly).

Also, it appears that more mac users are having more speed hold-ups, possibly due to the aforementioned inefficiency of the blitz-max (if that is right) language.

Also, it seems to me that the whole "games have always pushed the graphical envelope" argument mostly only applies to commercial games since these larger developers have a larger consumer base (allowing them to spurn the less well-off consumers).

Just some thoughts.