Bug & Error Compendium nr. 2

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
Neebat
Initiate

Re: Bug & Error Compendium nr. 2

Post by Neebat »

Fantastic game. I'm playing through a second time, which is high praise. Some bugs I haven't seen mentioned:

1. I bought a bunch of copper darts for 0 gold. I combined them with another stack of darts with a value of 1 gold each. I sold them back at 1 gold each. Free darts are one thing, but having them stay free would make more sense.
2. I was patching up my armor after a minor skirmish. The price to patch up my boots was -2 gold. It really did give me 2 gold to do the repair. I tried to take a screenshot of the dialog, but ...
3. The "p" button doesn't work with a dialog open. I used alt-print-screen, but it captured an empty dialog.
4. When I press the "Exit" button from a vendor, it will sometimes react as if I've pressed one of the buttons UNDER the exit button too. I hit the level-up plus a LOT this way.
5. Steps on this one: Get rid of all your flasks. Select one of your armor- or weapon-enhancement recipes from the recipe book. This affects harden armor, to hit, +damage, cold, fire and poison damage enhancements. These recipe do not require a flask, (You can demonstrate by placing them in the alchemy window manually,) but the recipe book does not work without a flask.
6. The encumbrance bar's color is frequently wrong. If you're within 1 pound of being overloaded, it is red, when it should be orange. I've even seen one case at the bottom end of that range where it was black. (My capacity was between 90 and 100, which might be enough information to recreate it.)
7. Fast travel is destructive enough to damage the best-made footwear in Eschalon, but you suffer no ill effects from fast-traveling barefoot through lava fields.
8. Trap Kill cannot be cast on floor traps. It "requires an inanimate object" as target, which apparently excludes the big red trap. You can work around this by placing a powder keg nearby, but that's an immersion-breaking hack.
9. If you're missing some recipes, it's impossible to scroll to the bottom of the recipe list. I was missing the "Elixir of Cure Ailment" recipe and I could not access imbue with poison. I even went back and checked the location where you get Imbue with Poison and I definitely had learned the recipe.

Here are some usability bugs. You're free to argue these are not bugs, but they substantially reduce my enjoyment of the game:
1. There is no hotkey to access the green "take all" arrow on chests.
2. The green "take all" arrow on chests is so small, I have a very hard time clicking it.
3. There is no hotkey for armor config 1 or armor config 2.
4. There is no hotkey for the alchemy mixer. This is a big problem if I'm closing it between combines to let the auto-inventory place the potion with other similar potions.
5. The alt-F4 hotkey is the fastest way to exit the game, and is undocumented.
6. It can be very hard to find the game I just saved when I need to load it. Save games should be sorted from newest to oldest on the load screen. (Why should DAO and Mass Effect kick your butt on something this simple?)
7. If I have a lamp oil in inventory and loot another lamp oil from a bag, it combines the new one with the existing one in a stack. If I buy another lamp oil from a vendor, it does not. This is inconsistent and confusing. I'm just using lamp oil as an example (because I hate it,) but the same thing happens with all stackable items. They don't auto-stack when purchased.
8. I learned the spell "Protection from Curses" by equipping +Wisdom items. When I tried to cast it, I got an error message. Maybe because I wasn't wise enough? But the message sounded more like some kind of internal game error. "ERROR when casting..." If this is intended, the message should sound less like a debug message.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Neebat wrote:Fantastic game. I'm playing through a second time, which is high praise. Some bugs I haven't seen mentioned:

5. Steps on this one: Get rid of all your flasks. Select one of your armor- or weapon-enhancement recipes from the recipe book. This affects harden armor, to hit, +damage, cold, fire and poison damage enhancements. These recipe do not require a flask, (You can demonstrate by placing them in the alchemy window manually,) but the recipe book does not work without a flask.
Imbue recipes don't work on flasks. They only work on weapons or armor. You need to put the piece of armor or the weapon you wish to Harden/Imbue into the receptacle slot.
Neebat wrote:8. Trap Kill cannot be cast on floor traps. It "requires an inanimate object" as target, which apparently excludes the big red trap. You can work around this by placing a powder keg nearby, but that's an immersion-breaking hack.
Are you sure that you're using version 1.03? There were apparently some locations that would not allow you to cast Trap Kill on the floor traps in that specific location. I have been disarming floor traps with Trap Kill for quite a while without any problems (except when I fail to notice the trap before stepping on it).
Neebat wrote:Here are some usability bugs. You're free to argue these are not bugs, but they substantially reduce my enjoyment of the game:
4. There is no hotkey for the alchemy mixer. This is a big problem if I'm closing it between combines to let the auto-inventory place the potion with other similar potions.
Right-clicking on an ingredient you wish to mix or a flask will pick up one item and open the Alchemy mixing window.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Neebat wrote:Fantastic game. I'm playing through a second time, which is high praise. Some bugs I haven't seen mentioned:

I'm nearly certain you are using a version of Book II previous to the current v1.03 - because I just tried using the imbuing recipe from the recipe book within the last 24 hours, and it worked correctly: it loaded the two reagents in the 'Ingredient' slots, but left the 'Vessel' slot empty (i.e. no flask was placed there). Now, when I did this, I did have some Empty Flasks in my Inventory, but they weren't "grabbed" by the recipe. So this worked for me recently with v1.03.
Neebat wrote:6. The encumbrance bar's color is frequently wrong. If you're within 1 pound of being overloaded, it is red, when it should be orange.
It worked this way in Book I as well - I think it turns red within 1 lbs of being "over-encumbered" as a warning to you that you're 'pushing it'! ;)
Neebat wrote:Here are some usability bugs. You're free to argue these are not bugs, but they substantially reduce my enjoyment of the game:
1. There is no hotkey to access the green "take all" arrow on chests.
2. The green "take all" arrow on chests is so small, I have a very hard time clicking it.

Others have brought up these points elsewhere on these boards - while I wouldn't expect them to be dealt with in Book II, I expect they might be in Book III.
Neebat wrote:3. There is no hotkey for armor config 1 or armor config 2.

There used to be a 'weapons config switcher' key in Book I - it was the Enter/Return key. I'm hoping this was just a small oversight that BW will fix in v1.04.

I have made the same point elsewhere about the Alchemy mixer needing a 'hotkey' - I've suggested the 'A' key as the hotkey. We'll see if it happens in Book II - if it doesn't, I'll be pushing for it in Book III.
Neebat wrote:5. The alt-F4 hotkey is the fastest way to exit the game, and is undocumented.
There's a thread in the Mac Support forum for Player's Manual issues - if you could, could you mention this point again over in that thread?
Neebat wrote:7. If I have a lamp oil in inventory and loot another lamp oil from a bag, it combines the new one with the existing one in a stack. If I buy another lamp oil from a vendor, it does not. This is inconsistent and confusing. I'm just using lamp oil as an example (because I hate it,) but the same thing happens with all stackable items. They don't auto-stack when purchased.

Again, this issue has been brought up elsewhere on the boards - I'm hoping BW can deal with this issue in v1.04 as well.
Neebat wrote:8. I learned the spell "Protection from Curses" by equipping +Wisdom items. When I tried to cast it, I got an error message. Maybe because I wasn't wise enough? But the message sounded more like some kind of internal game error. "ERROR when casting..." If this is intended, the message should sound less like a debug message.
Did the item you were wearing raise your Wisdom *AND* your Divination skill as well? - If it did (let's say the item raised your Div. skill to Level 5), then it would make sense that you couldn't cast the spell without wearing that item, assuming Protection from Curses is a Tier 2 spell requiring a minimum of Level 5 in Div. to cast it...
Neebat
Initiate

Post by Neebat »

I'm nearly certain you are using a version of Book II previous to the current v1.03
Excellent observation! Thank you. I downloaded it fairly recently, so I thought I must have the latest, and I was wrong. Some of those are likely to be fixed in 1.30, which I'm loading now.

IJBall wrote:
Neebat wrote: 5. Steps on this one: Get rid of all your flasks. Select one of your armor- or weapon-enhancement recipes from the recipe book. This affects harden armor, to hit, +damage, cold, fire and poison damage enhancements. These recipe do not require a flask, (You can demonstrate by placing them in the alchemy window manually,) but the recipe book does not work without a flask.

I'm nearly certain you are using a version of Book II previous to the current v1.03 - because I just tried using the imbuing recipe from the recipe book within the last 24 hours, and it worked correctly: it loaded the two reagents in the 'Ingredient' slots, but left the 'Vessel' slot empty (i.e. no flask was placed there). Now, when I did this, I did have some Empty Flasks in my Inventory, but they weren't "grabbed" by the recipe. So this worked for me recently with v1.03.

I'll test in v1.03, which I'm loading now and update this post. If you have flasks, you can imbue using the recipe. If you don't, you have to do it manually.
IJBall wrote:
Neebat wrote:6. The encumbrance bar's color is frequently wrong. If you're within 1 pound of being overloaded, it is red, when it should be orange.
It worked this way in Book I as well - I think it turns red within 1 lbs of being "over-encumbered" as a warning to you that you're 'pushing it'! ;)
Mine actually turned totally BLACK at one point, which was probably exactly between red and orange. Sorry I didn't get a screenshot. Again, I had approximately 93 weight capacity and about 1 pound less than that in inventory.
IJBall wrote:
Neebat wrote:5. The alt-F4 hotkey is the fastest way to exit the game, and is undocumented.
There's a thread in the Mac Support forum for Player's Manual issues - if you could, could you mention this point again over in that thread?
I don't know if it works on a Mac. Kind of doubt it. But it should be on the F1 screen.
IJBall wrote:
Neebat wrote:8. I learned the spell "Protection from Curses" by equipping +Wisdom items. When I tried to cast it, I got an error message. Maybe because I wasn't wise enough? But the message sounded more like some kind of internal game error. "ERROR when casting..." If this is intended, the message should sound less like a debug message.
Did the item you were wearing raise your Wisdom *AND* your Divination skill as well? - If it did (let's say the item raised your Div. skill to Level 5), then it would make sense that you couldn't cast the spell without wearing that item, assuming Protection from Curses is a Tier 2 spell requiring a minimum of Level 5 in Div. to cast it...
I definitely had enough divination to cast the spell. The message was different from the usual. It was, approximately, "ERROR when casting Protection from Curses" including the first word in all caps. It sounded very much like a debugging message.
Neebat
Initiate

Post by Neebat »

Now that I have version 1.3, I can retest my list.

1. Can't find 0g darts for sale. Could be fixed?
2. Still in 1.3: I have a save game with my boots needing -2 gold in repair.
3. Still in 1.3: p doesn't work with a dialog open
4. Still in 1.3: The lower part of the Exit button for vendors can still trigger the camp or level-up buttons.
5. Still in 1.3: Image
6. Unable to recreate in 1.3, but it may still be there.
7. Still in 1.3: Boots take damage from fast-travel, but feet are immune.
8. Appears to be fixed in 1.3
9. Appears to be fixed in 1.3

So, 2 for 9.

While in there, I attempted to verify this one:
Neebat wrote:
IJBall wrote:
I definitely had enough divination to cast the spell. The message was different from the usual. It was, approximately, "ERROR when casting Protection from Curses" including the first word in all caps. It sounded very much like a debugging message.
The message is completely different if your skill is too low. I can't get the ERROR to come up, so maybe it went away?
Neebat
Initiate

Post by Neebat »

Add another one to the list:
Mystic Rings stack. This was surprising because no other rings stack. I vote for all rings stacking.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

IJBall wrote:

I have just confirmed this for myself - if you have an Empty Flask in your Inventory, you can use an 'imbuing' recipe from the recipe book with no problem, despite the fact that you don't need an Empty Flask for any 'imbuing' recipe!

However, if you have no Empty Flasks in your Inventory, and you try to use an 'imbuing' recipe from the recipe book, you do get the 'error' message about "needing an empty flask" that Neebat showed in his screen-capture above.

And, yes - it makes no sense that you should need to have an Empty Flask for a recipe that does not require one!

IOW, yep - this is definitely a bug.
Neebat wrote:Add another one to the list:
Mystic Rings stack. This was surprising because no other rings stack. I vote for all rings stacking.
This one was also mentioned recently in a thread somewhere on these boards. IIRC, I think Randomizer may have stated that it's a bug that'll be fixed in v1.04 (but I may be remembering incorrectly on this...)
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Focus rings also stack. I noted this in another thread.
---

Neebat
Initiate

Post by Neebat »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
Focus rings also stack. I noted this in another thread.
Ah, ok. I'd never know, because I've never held on to a focus ring long enough to have 2.
Neebat
Initiate

Post by Neebat »

One more usability issue:

When selecting how many to buy or sell from a stack, it should be calculating the number by rounding, not using "floor". If there are two items for sale in a stack, and I slide the indicator almost all the way to the right, it says 1 item. It should start to say 2 as soon as I pass 3/4 of the way to the right.
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

Bug or feature?
I used Sonic Blast to stun an Outlander, then tried to hit him with fire dart. Nothing happened, fire dart would not work on him while he was stunned. I'm using 1.03
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

AK_Marty wrote:Bug or feature?
I used Sonic Blast to stun an Outlander, then tried to hit him with fire dart. Nothing happened, fire dart would not work on him while he was stunned. I'm using 1.03
It's a bug. I brought it up elsewhere and BW confirmed bug. You cannot use a ranged attack on a stunned monster for some reason. I haven't tried hitting them hand-to-hand yet (my mage doesn't even carry a weapon).
---

IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

I'm not sure this is a bug, but I wanted to bring this up...

Anyway, let me tell you a story:

While going through the various loot in Hammerlorne, I came across a nice, fairly high level sword (it wasn't a 'named' item, and I can't remember exactly what 'type' it was...).

Anyway, its base price was, I think 1410 or 1450 g.p.

So, wanting $$$ for skills, when I got back to Port K. I intended to sell this sword. And because my Foraging skill was high enough that I had a good stock of reagents, I decided to 'imbue' this sword first before selling it.

I'm currently Alchemy Level 10, so I can do Fire/Cold/Poison damage 'imbuing' to +2, but only "regular" Damage/ToHit 'imbuing' to +1.

So I do Fire damage 'imbuing' first - my sword, now with +2 Fire damage, has an increased 'base' price of 1710 g.p. About a 300 g.p. increase in worth - not bad! :)

OK, so then I decide to add +1 ToHit 'imbuing' to the sword. Now you know what its "new" 'base' price was? - a measly 1760 g.p. or something! :x

IOW, 'imbuing' the sword with a ToHit of +1 only increased its price a minuscule 50 g.p. - this is significantly less than the cost/price of the various reagents used to imbue this sword! This does not seem right to me at all...

So, long story short - I don't know if this is a bug, but it seems like "regular" 'imbuing' (even to just +1) is seriously underpowered when it comes to items pricing.

I think this issue should probably be looked in to...
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Very minor bug:

If you get into combat with Hunter, the Bows/Forage trainer, her verbal combat responses are very, uh, masculine!
(But, that's OK - I missed the old Book I Thug combat sounds anyway! :wink: )

Also: The Bells, and the Magic Competition Trophy, are all labeled as "Miscellaneous" category items - I think they should be relabeled as "Special" category items, as the Crux of Fire is. Just IMHO... 8)
Apoteos
Steward

Post by Apoteos »

As always: Sorry if this has been posted before.

If you have a torch lit, and then throw away al your torches, you still have a torch in your hand which can only be unlit by waiting for it to burn down. If you try to click the torch button the game tell you the fact that you have no torches.

The last part kinda makes sense though, because if you carry no torches, they cannot be unlit, right? :wink:

p.s. I play version 1.03
The gift of life is so divine
But without death
Life would soon decline