Walking on Lava

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Jenna
Apprentice

Walking on Lava

Post by Jenna »

I'm up to the point where I need to walk on the lava next to Picaroon Isle. I don't have anywhere near what I need, except for one pair of fire proof boots!

Can anyone let me know exactly what I need to buy / what skills I need to up before I can make it? I know I could just go on down to fight the stupid Tauraxes but I don't want to miss out on this part of the game!

I am playing pretty much a pure swordsman, I have put next to zero skills into magic. But I can train up in something if need be.
Turtle
Council Member

Re: Walking on Lava

Post by Turtle »

Buy or make some potions of Greater Protection and take off your shoes and pants. Seriously. You won't take as much damage as your gear will.

It wouldn't hurt to have some fire-resistant gloves or body armour--these do show up in the Picaroon Isle shop from time to time.

If you want to go the magic route, the Elemental spell Element Armor is very effective. It's only a tier 1 spell, so you won't need much training to use it, but higher levels give more protection. You can cast it at the highest level with Elemental skill at 11, which you can get by training up to 8, reading the book, then spending one point. If your Int isn't high enough (needs to be 15 to read the spell), buy a couple of Scholar's Rings.

In any case, make sure you have plenty of healing potion on hand, because you can't avoid damage altogether.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Turtle wrote:In any case, make sure you have plenty of healing potion on hand, because you can't avoid damage altogether.
Actually, on my last runthrough I discovered that if your base Elemental resistance is high enough and you drink a Potion of Greater Protection, your resistance will go over 100%, despite the resistances being capped at 99% under ordinary conditions.

Two more small things to note here: 1) You don't actually have to walk over any Lava at all, ever, to complete the game, and you'd only be missing out on one Quest plus some loot if you decided to just not cross lava at all.

2) There's two Things To Do behind the lava - one (the loot) requires a very high resistance to have any chance of getting to it, but the other (the quest) will only require you to step on four or five tiles of Lava (each way), I believe with a break inbetween, if you choose the shortest route. Even with a lower elemental resistance, you should be able to complete that with the aid of a Healing potion or two, if needed.

Edit: Oh, and with regard to equipment and the like, there are other "Fireproof" or "Fire Resistant" bits of armor out there besides the gloves. On my last playthrough I had a +20 Element Resistance helm that I was carrying around for that purpose (value: 5600, so it wasn't cheap), and a +10 Element Resistance Belt (value: 60, so not too bad). Statwise, as you may have noticed from mouseovers already, increasing INT will help Elemental Resistance, and increasing Endurance will help all resistances, though both of those take awhile to have noticeable effects.
Last edited by xolotl on August 26th, 2010, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Also, for the long walk on lava, haste potions help because then you only get a resistance check every other step. Durnore and Picaroon armorers both will often carry fireproof and resistant armors. Anything above the waist will help as you MUST remove your boots and pants if you don't want to lose them. Oddly enough, fireproof boots don't fireproof themselves. ;-)

And, for the quest one, you don't actually have to walk on the lava to get back out. You can quick travel there. Just can't quick travel from the long walk.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

First trick - scout around and plan your route so you have the fewest possible number of steps to take in the lava. Actually, I have had more problems with removing shoes than I have had with leaving them on. I took off my shoes once and died on the lava.

I tried wearing some cheap boots once and they were gone in about two steps. Really good boots will last longer. If you have repair, you just need to rest for a while and get them back to 100% before you proceed.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

xolotl wrote:Actually, on my last runthrough I discovered that if your base Elemental resistance is high enough and you drink a Potion of Greater Protection, your resistance will go over 100%, despite the resistances being capped at 99% under ordinary conditions.
I believe the same is also true if you cast an Element Armor spell.

When I asked for the 99% 'cap' for Resistances, I intended it to cover potions and spells too, so I consider what you're describing to be a bug - I'll add it to the list!
xolotl wrote:Two more small things to note here: 1) You don't actually have to walk over any Lava at all, ever, to complete the game, and you'd only be missing out on one Quest plus some loot if you decided to just not cross lava at all.
Even the Quest in question only requires you to walk over 2-3 'lava' grids maximum (as you stated elsewhere in your post), so it's not a huge deal. (Though the resolution of this Quest brings more Resistance issues!...)
xolotl wrote:Edit: Oh, and with regard to equipment and the like, there are other "Fireproof" or "Fire Resistant" bits of armor out there besides the gloves...
But it's again worth emphasizing that "Fireproof" Boots (are there "Fireproof" Pants too?...) are themselves not "fireproof" (currently, anyway...), so they still need to be taken off when walking over lava.

But the "Fireproof" Gloves and Helms ideas are good ones - I never really considered using those! :)
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Also, for the long walk on lava, haste potions help because then you only get a resistance check every other step.

And, for the quest one, you don't actually have to walk on the lava to get back out. You can quick travel there. Just can't quick travel from the long walk.
Dang!!! I didn't think of either of those things! I guess I assume the Quick Travel wouldn't work because you were in a cave.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
Jenna
Apprentice

Post by Jenna »

Thanks for all the suggestions! I am now the proud owner of all that lovely loot!