Altzheimer Maps

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Emelio Lizardo
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Altzheimer Maps

Post by Emelio Lizardo »

I mapped an area at Cart5 (1 original, book+2, compass), which gives a nice color coded map. I took off the compass and as I moved all the features I had known disappeared as I moved around.

It didn't undo the green but all river (blue) areas and build areas erased as I moved along.

Is this a known problem?
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Altzheimer Maps

Post by Randomizer »

When cartography lowers for any reason like removing the compass or using elemental spell reveal map ends, the automap drops to a version for the current level of cartography skill.
Emelio Lizardo
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Emelio Lizardo »

That would be reasonable for new areas, but to have what is known undone is ridiculous.

I hope they are still making patches.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Emelio Lizardo wrote:That would be reasonable for new areas, but to have what is known undone is ridiculous.

I hope they are still making patches.
This is fixed in Book 3. We'll see about updating Book 2 after Book 3 is released.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Out of morbid curiosity, how did you fix this? From the description you gave of the implementation details around the issue in the past, it seemed pretty intractable.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

SpottedShroom wrote:Out of morbid curiosity, how did you fix this? From the description you gave of the implementation details around the issue in the past, it seemed pretty intractable.
Well, the problem goes back to Book I...we're talking about the original engine development in 2005. The kind of automap we could do back then was limited because we were trying to save RAM and not overtax the video card and CPU. Book I had to exist in a very small footprint of RAM and system resources.

We pretty much ignored the topic for Book II, so the old Automap stayed in.

Now with Book III, we can go back in and re-examine our options. In this case, we've rewrote the function from the ground up. It works now because we have more resources to work with. We are not having to deal with old PowerPC Macs and early 2000's PC hardware anymore, so we are able to construct a new method of doing it.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Emelio Lizardo
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Emelio Lizardo »

You should update the whole product line and keep it fresh.