Solo v.s. Party

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!

Do you want solo or party play?

Solo
56%
Party
44%

Total votes: 159

Ihsan
Apprentice

Post by Ihsan »

I much rather prefer solo. Perhaps the ability to hire mercanaries, or have animal companions would be cool, but these should be costly.
Sakar
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Sakar »

I've always preferred party-based CRPGs. That's not to say I don't enjoy single character RPGs, but I definitely enjoy creating and developing an entire party of characters.
nackidno
Initiate

Post by nackidno »

I would like the future Eschalon games in solo based gameplay. Changing from book to book will just make the game more "false".
Sakar
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Sakar »

nackidno wrote:I would like the future Eschalon games in solo based gameplay. Changing from book to book will just make the game more "false".
It could easily work into an ongoing storyline simply by introducing new characters along the way that you have the option of joining to your party, ALA The Magic Candle.

The biggest hurdle is the psuedo-real-time engine. Moving multiple characters in the current engine would be a nightmare, though... :shock:
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

I typically prefer parties, but I have to admit I've really grown to love Eschalon's solo system. It's good fun rolling a few different characters to see how play style changes with them. Just do some incremental updates in Books II, and III and keep solo play. Hone the creation system and balance of skills. In the future perhaps make a new game (based in the eschalon world?) that is party based.
Rollor
Marshall

Post by Rollor »

I thought it was pretty close-knit that book 2 would be party-based. Now i see a poll which is almost even and the other poll votes for single :o
nackidno
Initiate

Post by nackidno »

In the future perhaps make a new game (based in the eschalon world?) that is party based.
I like that idea. :)
chamr
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by chamr »

I have nothing against party-based cRPG's, but I voted solo for E:B2 for one reason: streamline. I think the design feature that has appealed to me the most is "less is more". I'm not a fan of tons of content for content's sake and would rather a game focus on the fundamentals and keeping the game fun through-out rather than just cramming in tons and tons of land mass, quests, dialogue and such to reach a rather arbitrary goal of hours it takes to play. For me, this game has struck a wonderful balance between having enough to do and see without overwhelming me with "stuff". So, in that vein, I think adding more PC's would stray from that approach.
dalamber
Initiate

Post by dalamber »

Solo.

My arguments for it:

1)Combat is an essential part of gameplay, but RPG gameplay is not only combat. Wizardry or goldbox games are true hardcore oldschool, but I sure don't want to play something like that now. When I'm going from Bordertown to Blackwater, I'm ok with dispatching several monsters along the way, but 5 or 6 10-15 minute long battles (like it would have been in Wizardry) are way too boring. Book 1 seemed to me more like Ultima 7 gameplaywise. Ok, Ultima had a party all right, but it was in realtime, so that didn't make battles longer, you just killed the enemies and continued your quest. Or had to reload and prepare a bit better ;)

2)Development time. Monster AI should be improved dramatically for party combat, more character animations are required, companion following needs to be added to engine, skills and classes need rework and rebalance.

3)I'll call this "thieving skills". Thief playing style is hardly applicable to a party game. Making a party of 6 sneak looks awkward and you'll sure spit a lot of curses when your followers trigger a trap you avoided so carefully. Maybe if you could leave party in a tavern and do the job yourself...but why do this if you can go alone from very beginning? And, I'd also add a thief type some conversational skills too, and I don't like the way they work in party-based games.
single player
Initiate

Post by single player »

PAAARTAAY!
But only if the developers manage to get rid of that walking bug, where each little sprite causes the game to slow down (E:B1).
More playable charaters, pleas, more classes, more options.

Oh, and get a levelling system that is a little less boring.
And monsters that randomly respawn.
And...
(Imagine a witty sign-off right here)
bkrueger
Apprentice

Post by bkrueger »

I prefer to have a party.

The infinity-engine did this best (and allowed all variants, like building your complete party in the beginning, like Icewind Dale, or gather your companions like Baldur's gate).

I also like the semi-turn-based paused fight of the infinity engine. Since I prefer turn-based, I dont care for AI of the party members, I prefer to control them.

But since story and atmosphere are the most important for me, I would happily prefer play without party, if you say that developing party mechanics would distract you from these more important issues.
zengrey
Apprentice

Well,

Post by zengrey »

If it matters to anyone else, I say keep EB 1-3 solo all the way through. Hopefully popularity of the game will result in wildly unforeseen sales, and then Basilisk will have the financial fluidity to create a multiplayer, or party style CRPG. As it is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And, btw, I personally think that if every online gamer in the world tried this game out, BG would have a different vintage Volvo for every day of the week. Meanwhile, support these folks. My GF and I tell all our friends about our adventures with our game, and they either ask where to get it or smile in a sympathetic fashion, having been there before. I have posted enough random ideas on the wishlist. My real life wishlist is to buy a 'puter this year that is screaming edge enough to fully enjoy this gaming experience (I'm running this game on an iMac with 256 RAM). Slow, but when you've been game-starved for years, you do what you have to. Anyways, once again I'm babbling.
Cheers, zengrey.
Rubeck
Pledge

Post by Rubeck »

macdude22 wrote:I typically prefer parties, but I have to admit I've really grown to love Eschalon's solo system. It's good fun rolling a few different characters to see how play style changes with them. Just do some incremental updates in Books II, and III and keep solo play. Hone the creation system and balance of skills. In the future perhaps make a new game (based in the eschalon world?) that is party based.
I agree with absolutely everything he said here. Especially liked the spin-off idea, that's pretty good.
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

GSV3MiaC wrote:Fallout was the party based RPG where you were in more danger from your own lunatic (the name escapes me) with a gatling gun than you ever were from the mutants, iirc.

Back to the poll - why no 'don't care' option? I'll cheerfully play either ..
LOL! Kind of like in Myth: The Fallen Lords when your own dwarves would run away, throwing satchel charges behind them and blow up the rest of your people!

I like either type, too, solo hero or party as long as the game can be played solo without other players.

I would love to have the choice of playing female heroes, though.

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.icubed.com/~judelk
Legendary_Gamer
Initiate

SOLO!!!!!

Post by Legendary_Gamer »

I hate doing party management! I like the option of being the SOLE HERO. However, if you could pickup NPCs that you had limited control over, like in Lionheart by Bioware, I would be okay with that. You could have people join you, but you really can't take their stuff at all.

Lionheart is a huge favorite, but this games open ended exploration ability and pursuing any quest at any time is simply wonderful.

SOLO!!!!
"It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -William Earnest Henley's Invictus