hammerorn mine level 1 *spoilers*

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
yodabomb
Fellowcraft Apprentice

hammerorn mine level 1 *spoilers*

Post by yodabomb »

so , no matter where I go I end up in a room with 6+ shooter plants and get wacked in 2 turns.

que?
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: hammerorn mine level 1 *spoilers*

Post by Randomizer »

Yes, that sums it up. However there are ways to survive.

Mage - cast Dense Nimbus
Priest/Fighter/Thief - wear more armor and go into Parry mode

Use an invisibility potion and run for the exit.
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Post by silverkitty »

I would guess the OP's question is because there's
a: the sign says "one way leads to success, the other to almost certain death" but both appear to lead to the same deathtrap
b: a bunch of extra passage around there making one want to search for hours to find the secret lever or door
fematmar
Initiate

Post by fematmar »

what is the solution then? where is the correct secret door? {or lever} any
help an / or advice apreciated.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

fematmar wrote:what is the solution then? where is the correct secret door? {or lever} any
help an / or advice apreciated.
Sometimes a wall is not a wall even though it looks like one. Try bouncing off the walls, you might hit it the right number of times and get through to the other side.

Clue: invisible exit in one of the walls in the death trap room. You can also duck behind the chest to get a breather.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

With one path it's possible that you never figure a way out to reach the place that the other portal goes to and therefore become another skeleton.
fematmar
Initiate

Post by fematmar »

how do I avoid that path?
yodabomb
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by yodabomb »

I eventually choose the "certain death" path and very quickly found the secret wall that lead me to the same place that i ORIGINALLY thought was certain death. IMO that's bad game design. Not every player will design a character for battle and forcing people into battle is kinda lame. the way I made it out was just saving right before and seriously just playing it over 15 times until I didn't get wacked immediately and was able to make it to the door. I was a mage with very low HP, no armor, and I pissed off all the towns by killing people so I had very little spells ( no nimbus cloud whatever ).

I love this game, but just wanted to point this out. no real reason but an FYI.
Taliesin
Initiate

Post by Taliesin »

yodabomb wrote:I eventually choose the "certain death" path and very quickly found the secret wall that lead me to the same place that i ORIGINALLY thought was certain death. IMO that's bad game design. Not every player will design a character for battle and forcing people into battle is kinda lame. the way I made it out was just saving right before and seriously just playing it over 15 times until I didn't get wacked immediately and was able to make it to the door. I was a mage with very low HP, no armor, and I pissed off all the towns by killing people so I had very little spells ( no nimbus cloud whatever ).

I love this game, but just wanted to point this out. no real reason but an FYI.

Too many people seem to be complaining that because the game isn't easy enough or in some cases, too easy, ergo it must be bad game design.

It makes me wonder if some of you have ever played an old-school game like Ultima or Wizardry. Part of the challenge in these games is to figure out what makes something tick and then figure out a work-around. Not everything gets handed to you on a silver platter (unlike the Game That Shall Not Be Named).
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Post by silverkitty »

I think you're mistaking a "why does the sign say that?" with "this is too hard, make it stop!"

sign says: "one way to success, another to death"
go left -> go into "empty cells". find secret passable wall to teleporter. end up in deathtrap
go right -> proceed straight to deathtrap

so the question is: is there some super secret way to avoid the deathtrap room altogether. how do the miners get in there? :)
yodabomb
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by yodabomb »

silverkitty = correcto. The empty skeleton room was no problem to get out of, the problem is being forced into a deathtrap no matter. Its my fault for being unprepared , no invisibility potion, etc. but, whatever, I shouldn't have to know what to expect ahead of time.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Well you do pass an invisibility potion II on the way through that level.

I did wonder if there was a cracked wall that could be blown open for another choice.

I guess the dwarven miners just go, "Nice sentinel stalk," as they go past. :)
Taliesin
Initiate

Post by Taliesin »

silverkitty wrote:I think you're mistaking a "why does the sign say that?" with "this is too hard, make it stop!"

sign says: "one way to success, another to death"
go left -> go into "empty cells". find secret passable wall to teleporter. end up in deathtrap
go right -> proceed straight to deathtrap

so the question is: is there some super secret way to avoid the deathtrap room altogether. how do the miners get in there? :)
no, I meant exactly what I said.

here we have a player saying "he was forced into a death trap unprepared"; well the solution to that is to reload to your previous save point and prepare yourself. don't blame the game designer for your lack of foresight.

it's an old-school style game, meaning there's going to be dungeons at some point so therefore you need to make sure you're adequately prepared. the premise being you wouldn't venture into the unknown without your 10' pole, your flint and steel and tinderbox, and your chalk, so why not make sure you've got it beforehand? (you can tell I cut my teeth on 1st edition AD&D, not this new-fangled 4th edition from Lizards of the Coast)
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

This sounds like a situation similar to the portcullis room in the Goblin Citadel in Book I that caught most of us unprepared (for instant death). Kicked myself in the rear for not having saved since first walking into the Citadel on that one.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Post by silverkitty »

Taliesin wrote: no, I meant exactly what I said.
oh, yah. that's a boring conversation, though, since it's basically the way all CRPGs work: your character always has the mystic powers of amazing foresight granted by the almighty save/load spell. anyone who sees a sign that says "two doors, but one's a death trap" and doesn't immediately save, hasn't played a CRPG before :)

I was trying to steer the conversation away from this and back to the original poster's question -- what is all the extra passageway for? just to confuse you into thinking there's a way to avoid the sentinel stalk room?